Skip to body

Resources and Reports

CWUR 1-60-010 Serving Alcoholic Beverages

(1) Ellensburg Campus:

This procedure is governed by the policy on alcohol and other drugs, CWUP 2-40-030, and applicable laws of the state of Washington. Alcoholic beverages and liquor are interchangeable terms and include beer, wine and distilled spirits.

Any sponsoring organization that intends to serve alcoholic beverages on the CWU-Ellensburg campus must comply with all applicable Washington State Liquor laws. Any personal or property damages that occur as a result of serving alcohol will be the responsibility of the event sponsor. Violations of this procedure or any applicable state law will result in sanctions and/or disciplinary action. For students, the dean of student success office will determine the appropriate sanction. Human resources will work with the appropriate appointing authority when employees are involved. For external sponsoring organizations, the president’s office will be notified.

Permits / Licenses

If alcohol is to be served, the sponsor will complete the online “Banquet Permit Request” or “Special Occasion License” form based on the type of event planned. Such requests must be submitted within the time frame noted on the forms. Requests will be forwarded to the president’s office for review and approval. A letter authorizing the serving of alcoholic beverages on CWU-Ellensburg campus will be sent to the event sponsor and the scheduling center.

A banquet permit allows the service and consumption of liquor at a private, invitation-only banquet or gathering held in a public place or business where alcohol is provided at no cost to the attendees. Examples include weddings, company banquets, retirement parties, and club, organization or church events. Requests to serve alcohol on the CWU Ellensburg campus must be received by the president’s office and scheduling center at least TWO WEEKS PRIOR to the event. If approved, information on how to apply online to the Washington State Liquor Control Board for a banquet permit will be provided to the campus host or sponsoring organization.

A special occasion license allows a bona fide nonprofit organization to sell liquor at a specific time date and place. Examples include fundraising dinners, gala events, auctions and wine tastings. Requests for a special occasion license must be received by the president’s office and scheduling center NO LESS THAN 60 DAYS PRIOR to the event. If approved, the letter of approval must be sent by the sponsoring agent to the Washington State Liquor Control Board AT LEAST 45 DAYS PRIOR to the event and include a check for the fee. See for details.

All event sponsors will comply with security requirements as determined by the director of police services. A copy of the request to serve alcohol on CWU-Ellensburg campus will be sent by the scheduling center to the CWU Police Department to determine security needs. Failure to agree to meet the security requirements as determined by the director of police services will result in the denial of the request.

The Banquet Permit or Special Occasion License will be posted in plain view at the event the entire time alcohol is being consumed.

When alcohol is being served at a social event, the sponsoring group will provide nonalcoholic beverages and food.

Alcohol server training is available at It is recommended that all events be staffed by one or more designated individuals who have completed alcohol server training.

(2) Centers - Faculty and staff located at a CWU center will need to coordinate any request for use of facilities and abide by any requirement at the center for the serving of alcohol.

(3) Information regarding student athletes drug testing is located at

[Responsibility: President’s Office; Authority: Cabinet/UPAC; Reviewed/Endorsed by: Cabinet/UPAC; Review/Effective Date: 4/4/2012; Approved by: James L. Gaudino, President]