(A) Currently, the final examination week for each term spans four days from the Tuesday through the Friday immediately following the last week of instruction. Examinations on the Ellensburg Campus are established according to class schedules in order to avoid, where possible, conflicts resulting from simultaneous examination periods. Examinations at the University Centers are scheduled by the University Centers typically at the time the class has been taught. Final exam schedules are posted to the student Safari schedules by the 30th day of the quarter.
1. Final Exam Weeks are a part of the academic year/university calendar days, as established in the catalog.
2. During Final Exam Week, a final examination or culminating experience (i.e., an "authentic assessment" which could be, but is not limited to, formal presentations, poster sessions, writing tasks, or portfolio reviews) is expected for each course taught as dictated by the nature of the course material and/or learner outcomes.
3. Faculty and students are required to conform to the final examination schedules published by Registrar Services on the Ellensburg Campus or determined by the University Centers unless:
a. a faculty member's responsibilities require an alternative examination date and time.
b. on the Ellensburg Campus, a student has more than two examinations on the same day or has two examinations scheduled at the same time.
c. at the University Centers, a student has two examinations scheduled at the same time.
4. If faculty are required to be away from campus due to a faculty development opportunity or leave as delineated by the CWU and UFC Agreement, changes to an instructor's exam date and time must be made at the earliest possible date and approved by the department chair. Moreover, it is the responsibility of that faculty, with approval from the chair, to arrange a suitable alternative that will accommodate all students.
5. On the Ellensburg Campus, in the event that a student can demonstrate that he/she has more than two examinations scheduled on the same day or two examinations scheduled at the same time, any one of his/her instructors is authorized to excuse the student from the regularly scheduled examination and give a final examination to the student during an alternative time during Finals Week. In cases in which alternative arrangements cannot be made, students shall refer the matter to the department chairs in consultation with the appropriate instructor.
6. At the University Centers, in the event that a student has two examinations scheduled at the same time, any one of their instructors is authorized to excuse the student from the regularly scheduled examination and give a final examination to the student during an alternative time during Finals Week, including Monday of Finals Week. In cases of difficulty in arriving at a solution, students shall refer the matter to the department chairs in consultation with the appropriate instructor.
7. Faculty must have grades posted on SAFARI by no later than 10:00 p.m. on the Tuesday after Final Examination Week.