Fees may be proposed if they meet one of the following three criteria:
(1) Criteria for State-Supported Programs: fees may be charged sufficient to cover the costs of any of the following:
1. The use of a facility that is required for a specific course, or course experience, but is not a part of the university’s facilities;
2. Materials used to produce a product or project that becomes the property of the student;
3. Materials required for a specific course or course activity that cannot be reused;
4. Materials required for a specific course or course requirement that can be provided for students at a lower cost to students through volume purchasing;
5. Materials used by a student who chooses to utilize additional resources above the standard resources provided to all students to complete course requirements or chooses to upgrade the materials used to complete the requirements;
6. Transportation for students on field trips required for a specific course or specific course experience;
7. The purchase and maintenance of equipment and software specific to the course;
8. Occasional technical, safety, chemical hygiene, and lab/field assistant support;
9. Private lessons in vocal or instrumental music; and
10. Test fees.
(2) Criteria for Self-Support Programs: fees may be charged sufficient to cover the costs of the program, including the following:
1. Promotion and delivery;
2. Overhead of the unit;
3. Contingency funds of the unit;
4. Funds to develop new programs;
5. Appropriate costs to support the other programmatic goals of the unit; and
6. Other costs of the unit in providing services.
(3) Other Fees – Other fees may be charged sufficient to defray costs for non-compliance with university policy.
Tuition, mandatory fees, housing and dining room and board rates require Board of Trustee approval as outlined in procedure 2-10-030.
This policy is not intended to govern retail and resale products and services in Auxiliary, Student Activities, Health and Counseling and Internal Services.
[Responsibility: Academic Finance Manager; Authority: VP for BFA; Reviewed/Endorsed by BFC; Reviewed/Endorsed by Provost’s Council; Cabinet/UPAC; Review/Effective Date: 12/04/2013; Approved by: James L. Gaudino, President]