(1) This policy applies to all non-represented classified employees. To the extent that this policy addresses terms not covered under collective bargaining agreements for represented employees, the terms of this policy shall prevail.
(2) This policy is intended to address requirements of WAC 357-22 and relevant state laws. This policy is to be used in conjunction with the WAC and university procedures.
(3) Central Washington University shall make every effort to protect employee privacy rights and interests and prevent inappropriate or unnecessary disclosures of information from any employee's personnel record.
(4) Personnel records are maintained in a secure environment and access is limited to protect employee privacy. Access to an employee's personnel file is restricted to the employee and those in the chain of command, individuals authorized access to the file in the conduct of official university business, and prospective general state government and higher education employers. Personnel records are also open to the inspection of the Washington Personnel Resources Board, the state auditor, the director of the Department of Personnel or the director's designee.
(5) Review or dissemination of personnel records will be monitored so that only those parties authorized by the employee, and those parties identified in this policy, approved administratively, or legally warranted, receive them.
(6) University records by statutory definition are public property and must be maintained, transferred, and destroyed according to records retention schedules approved by the State Records Committee.
CWUR 1-70-100 Personnel Records Procedure
[PAC: 03/16/05; 10/1/08; Responsibility: President’s Office; Authority: Cabinet/UPAC; Reviewed/Endorsed by: Cabinet/UPAC; Review/Effective Date: 01/06/2017; Approved by: James L. Gaudino, President]