(1) This policy applies to all non-represented classified employees. To the extent that this policy addresses terms not covered under collective bargaining agreements for represented employees, the terms of this policy shall prevail.
(2) This policy addresses requirements of WAC 356-16 by defining promotional candidate and identifying the use of promotional preference in the recruitment and certification process. This policy is to be used in conjunction with the WAC and university procedures.
(3) Central Washington University recognizes the value to employees and the organization of investing in our employees' development and in providing opportunities for career growth within the organization, and as such, recognizes the importance of promotional opportunities for qualified employees.
(4) Promotional candidate - To be considered a promotional candidate, an employee must apply for the position, meet the competencies and other requirements of the position, and successfully pass any required examination(s), and be:
1. A current classified employee of Central Washington University who has successfully completed an initial probationary period as designated by the university; or
2. A former permanent employee of the university seeking to return from separation due to disability or layoff within two years of separation; or
3. A permanent employee who has accepted a project appointment within the university.
(5) Promotional Organizational Unit - In accordance with WAC 357-16-055, Central Washington University has established the following promotional organizational units for the purpose of promotional recruitment and hiring:
1. The university
2. The division of the university in which the vacancy exists
3. A sub division of an area reporting to a vice president such as a college or department in which the vacancy exists, or
4. The immediate work group in which the vacancy exists.
(6) Promotion Preference - Recruitment for new and vacant positions is typically open to internal and external audiences.
(7) Exceptions - Exceptions to this policy may be granted in accordance with the WAC and university procedures when they are determined to be in the best interest of the university.
CWUP 2-30-080 Employee Promotions
[PAC: 03/16/05, 06/08; Responsibility: President’s Office; Authority: Cabinet/UPAC; Reviewed/Endorsed by: Cabinet/UPAC; Review/Effective Date: 04/17/2013; Approved by: James L. Gaudino, President]