Safari, our Web registration system, has allowed us to create some new functionality for Wait Lists (WL). Students and faculty should be aware that the system will now automatically enroll them in a course that they have wait listed for once a seat becomes available and if they are eligible to enroll (see #4 below).
Not all courses have wait lists, so students should review the Schedule of Classes to determine which courses have wait lists. Important information regarding wait lists is summarized below.
- Each department determines its wait list capacity. Each section with a wait list has a different maximum number of students who can be on the WL at the same time.
- Wait Lists will be available through the end of the second day of the change of schedule period. This will allow time for notification to be sent to the student prior to the end of the change of schedule period and allow the student enough time to make necessary schedule changes.
- The student gets on the wait list at the time he/she attempts to enroll in a full course section by checking the "OK to Wait List" checkbox that will be displayed when enrolling in a class. If there is no WL or the WL is full, the "OK to Wait List" checkbox will not appear as an option. A student can be moved from the WL to enrolled status in one of two ways:
The wait list process will be run once each night from the start of early registration through the end of the second day of classes.
- Obtain signed permission on the change of schedule form from the instructor; or
- System intervention: An automated nightly process will automatically move students from the WL to enrollment, but only if the student is eligible. After the last automated process is run after midnight on the second day of classes, students will need to be signed in to the course on a change of schedule form.
Notification will be sent to the CWU e-mail account each time the process is run for those who are moved to enrolled status. This will be a general notification alerting students to check their online schedule for details.
- Students are ineligible to be automatically enrolled from the WL for the following reasons:
- They have a time conflict;
- They are already enrolled in another section of the course;
- They would exceed their maximum term units;
- They do not meet requirements of the course (for example, reserved for majors only);
- They have a registration hold;
- They are attempting to register for a non-repeatable class for the third time; or
- The class is full.
- Students may not wait list for more than 15 credits at a time.
- Students are told their WL positions at the time they are placed on a wait list during their enrollment. They can also view their position at any time by reviewing their online schedule.
- Students can wait list for multiple sections of the same course. However, once the student is enrolled into an available section, he/she is automatically dropped from the WL for the other sections. The only exception to this would be for courses that are repeatable for credit in the same term.
- If a lecture course has a zero credit lab, students cannot WL the same lecture section or the same lab section more than once. For example, a student could not WL CHEM 111-01 lecture with more than one CHEM 111 lab section.
- Once a WL is started for a class and a seat opens up, a student who is not on the WL will not be able to enroll. However, if all students on the wait list are ineligible for enrollment, then the class status will change to Open and the next student that is eligible for the class may enroll.