CWU College of the Sciences Transfer Map

Social Services, Bachelor of Science (BS)

Office of the Registrar
Bouillon Hall 140
Phone: (509) 963-3001
Fax: (509) 963-1230

Program Description

BS in Social Services is 66 credits and students coming in with an AA-DTA can complete it in two years of full-time study. The social service major is designed for students interested in working in the human services delivery systems. Students obtain a strong grounding in sociology and social justice, as well as the applied field of social and human services. The coursework introduces students to critical issues in the field and offers students the opportunity to work with agencies in the community, and students are required to complete an internship. The CWU Social Services major is affiliated with the Council for Standards in Human Services Education.

Likely Career Paths

Social Worker, Substance Abuse, Behavioral Disorder, Mental Health Counselor, School and Career Counselor, Community Health Worker, Human Services Manager, Probation Officer, Correctional Treatment Specialist, and Rehabilitation Counselor

Key Considerations

Course Planning

1st and 2nd Year Courses or Areas of Study
CWU Course # CWU Course Name Transfer Course #
SOC 107 Principles of Sociology SOC& 101

Advising Notes

  • Completion of a direct transfer agreement (DTA) is preferred. No other Sociology courses are required prior to transfer for admission to the Social Services major and are discouraged.
  • The Transfer Equivalency Site (TES) provides CWU equivalencies for courses at other colleges and universities.
  • Students are encouraged to complete a DTA (Direct Transfer Agreement) before admission to the degree.
  • Any Washington state DTA (Direct Transfer Agreement) degree will satisfy all general education requirements.
  • Major requirements may change over time; students will be expected to meet the catalog requirements in place at the time they are admitted to the major. Current catalog:

Other Resources

Admissions: 509-963-1211 | |

Financial Aid: 509-963-1611 | |

Transfer Center: 509-963-1390 | |

Veterans: 509-963-3028 | |

International: +1-509-963-3612 | |