Schools need more math, science, and STEM teachers. This supportive, cohort-based CWUDes Moines program offers pathways to a Bachelor’s degree, teaching certification, and endorsements in middle level (grades 4-9) mathematics, science, or math and science. Students graduate prepared to teach math and/or science in middle and junior high schools. The curriculum integrates community-based STEM content and active learning strategies and puts these into practice through regular field experiences. No other similar program exists in Washington State.
Likely Career Paths
Middle or high school teacher (math and/or science).
Cost: University-wide costs (cwu.edu/financial-aid/cost-attendance). Additional costs depend on endorsement area.
Location: CWU-Des Moines
Primary contact: Darin Knapp | firstname.lastname@example.org | 206-718-5979 | cwu.edu/teachstem/des-moines
|CWU Course #||CWU Course Name||Transfer Course #|
|MATH 164||Foundations of Arithmetic||MATH& 131 or TES|
|MATH 211||Statistical Concepts and Methods||MATH& 146|
|*MATH 226||Mathematics for Teachers: Geometry and Measurement||MATH& 132 or TES|
|MATH 153||Pre-Calculus Mathematics I||MATH& 141|
|*MATH 154||Pre-Calculus Mathematics II||MATH& 142|
Courses labeled with an asterisk (*) can be completed the summer after starting at CWU. EDUC& 202 and HIST& 214 are also recommended.
- Students pursuing only the science endorsement can complete all courses through the CWU program, no prerequisites needed.
Math and Science endorsements
- Students pursuing math and science endorsements must complete the courses listed above in the mathematics endorsement table, as well as the science prerequisite courses: 1 of BIOL& 100 or BIOL& 160; 1 of GEOL& 101 or GEOL& 107; and 1 of ASTR& 100 or ASTR& 101.
The Transfer Equivalency Site (TES) provides CWU equivalencies for courses at other colleges and universities.
- Schedule an advising appointment with Darin Knapp (email@example.com) ASAP—prior to transferring to CWU.
- The science endorsement alone can be completed in two academic years (fall, winter, spring) with no summers and no prerequisites completed. Full-time students who have completed all courses in the table above can complete both the math and science endorsements or the math endorsement alone in two academic years.
- Program schedule depends on endorsement area(s) and combines in person and online courses.
- Any Washington state DTA (Direct Transfer Agreement) degree will satisfy all general education requirements.
- Major requirements may change over time; students will be expected to meet the catalog requirements in place at the time they are admitted to the major. Current catalog: https://catalog.acalog.cwu.edu/
Admissions: 509-963-1211 | firstname.lastname@example.org | cwu.edu/admissions
Financial Aid: 509-963-1611 | FinancialAid@cwu.edu | cwu.edu/financial-aid
Transfer Center: 509-963-1390 | email@example.com | cwu.edu/transfer
Veterans: 509-963-3028 | VA@cwu.edu | cwu.edu/veterans
International: +1-509-963-3612 | firstname.lastname@example.org | cwu.edu/programs/international-student-admissions