Students pursue a course of study that encompasses scholarly appreciation and analysis of film, production and technical aspects of the moving image, and writing for the screen. The program employs a scholarly, creative, and professional approach to the study of film and seeks to help each student discover their talent as an independent critic, artist, and communicator.
The Film BA is designed to build specific skills in media production into a strong technical and practical foundation for advanced studies. Students can choose from a range of advanced courses in specialized disciplines, from writing and producing to directing, cinematography, and editing. The program emphasizes the exploration of the student’s personal creative voice through hands-on productions, and continuously emphasizes thoughtful, engaging storytelling.
Likely Career Paths
Media researcher, multimedia illustrator, screenwriter, cinematographer, film editor, film producer, and a variety of roles in the film industry, television and radio, public relations firms, entertainment and sports organizations, internet sites, advertising agencies, hospitality and tourism industry, consulting firms, and digital content firms.
- Cost: University-wide costs (cwu.edu/financial-aid/cost-attendance)
- Additional costs: Specific course fees are related to specific production courses to cover expendables and related costs which range from $7 -75. Students will pay a program fee of $55/term to cover an increasing inventory of top-of-the-line equipment which can be checked out for student projects.
- Location: Ellensburg
- Primary contact: 509-963-2893 | email@example.com | cwu.edu/film
- The program offers entry points to a six-quarter sequence of production courses in Fall (2 cohorts) and Spring (1 cohort) terms. Admission occurs on a rolling basis and is dependent upon the number of slots available in the program.
- A minimum CWU grade point average of 2.4 is required for admission to the program.
- Any Washington state DTA (Direct Transfer Agreement) degree will satisfy all general education requirements.
- Major requirements may change over time; students will be expected to meet the catalog requirements in place at the time they are admitted to the major. Current catalog: https://catalog.acalog.cwu.edu/