This major is intended to prepare students to become birth through grade 3 teaching specialists. Because this major requires less than 60 credits, a second major or a minor is required. Students may pursue this program for Washington State Teacher Certification or not, as follows.
- with Washington State Teacher Certification Students seeking the teacher certification endorsement in early childhood education must complete Teacher Certification and Secondary Education Major requirements.
- without Washington State Teacher Certification This option exists for those individuals who wish to work with young children in birth-age 8 settings that do not require teacher certification. In this situation, students will not need to complete Teacher Certification and Secondary Education Major requirements, but will still need to select a second major or a minor.
Likely Career Paths
Teach in a Washington state public elementary school, grades P-3
|CWU Course #||CWU Course Name||Transfer Course #|
|EFC 250||Introduction to Education (4)||EDUC& 202 (or TES)|
|PSY 314||Human Development and the Learner (4)||PSYC& 200 (or TES)|
- Students who have a DTA will have general education requirements satisfied. Transfer credits inside the major will need to be articulated by the registrar first and then reviewed by a faculty member.
- Any Washington state DTA (Direct Transfer Agreement) degree will satisfy all general education requirements, but may not meet the Teacher Certification Program course pre-requisite requirements. Requirements can be found at Teacher Certification Program Admission.
- Major requirements may change over time; students will be expected to meet the catalog requirements in place at the time they are admitted to the major. Current catalog: https://catalog.acalog.cwu.edu/