Applied mathematics combines mathematical concepts and methods with different fields of study such as physics, engineering, biology, finance, or business to solve real-world problems. Applied mathematics can be thought of as the application of mathematics to real-world problems that arise in the physical, social and natural sciences, as well as in business and industry. The goal of applied mathematics is to explain and communicate observed phenomena and then apply specialized mathematical techniques to help predict yet unobserved phenomena.
Likely Career Paths
Climatologist, Systems Biologist, Material Scientist, Ecologist, Economist, Epidemiologist, Urban Planner, Animator
Cost: University-wide costs (cwu.edu/financial-aid/cost-attendance).
Primary contact: Dr. Brandy Wiegers | email@example.com | cwu.edu/math/bachelor-science-applied-mathematics
|CWU Course #||CWU Course Name||Transfer Course #|
|MATH 172||Calculus I||MATH& 151|
|MATH 173||Calculus II||MATH& 152|
|MATH 272||Multivariable Calculus I||MATH& 153 or MATH& 163|
|MATH 273||Multivariable Calculus II||MATH& 254 or MATH& 264|
|MATH 265||Linear Algebra I||Course numbers vary, see TES|
|MATH 376||Differential Equations I||Course numbers vary, see TES|
MATH& 153 + MATH& 254 = CWU MATH 272 & 273
MATH& 163 + MATH& 264 = CWU MATH 272 & 273
The Transfer Equivalency Site (TES) provides CWU equivalencies for courses at other colleges and universities.
- Any Washington state DTA (Direct Transfer Agreement) degree will satisfy all general education requirements.
- Students must meet with an advisor in the mathematics department before being considered for major.
- Admission requirements are completion of MATH 172 and MATH 173 with grades of C or higher.
- Students must earn a minimum grade of C in any course that fulfills a major requirement.
- Major requirements may change over time; students will be expected to meet the catalog requirements in place at the time they are admitted to the major. Current catalog: https://catalog.acalog.cwu.edu/
Admissions: 509-963-1211 | firstname.lastname@example.org | cwu.edu/admissions
Financial Aid: 509-963-1611 | FinancialAid@cwu.edu | cwu.edu/financial-aid
Transfer Center: 509-963-1390 | email@example.com | cwu.edu/transfer
Veterans: 509-963-3028 | VA@cwu.edu | cwu.edu/veterans
International: +1-509-963-3612 | firstname.lastname@example.org | cwu.edu/programs/international-student-admissions