FAQs for Graduation/Commencement
Q: Where do I get an Application for Degree?
A: Applications can be picked up in Degree Checkout (Mitchell Hall), at the CWU Centers, or printed from the CWU website: GradApp.pdf
Q: How long will it take for Degree Checkout to process my degree application?
A: Applications are processed in the order in which they are received. Winter and spring are the busiest terms so it may take up to a month before your application is processed.
Q: How will I know when my application has been processed?
A: All correspondence from Degree Checkout will be sent to your CWU e-mail account and will be posted to your TO DO list on your MyCWU account.
Q: My TO DO list says "Pending" - what does that mean?
A: Degree completion items stay at "Pending" status until you are totally finished. Your TO DO list will say "Pending" until every grade has been posted and all requirements for the major, minor, specialization, and CWU degree requirements have been met and posted to your unofficial transcript and Academic Requirements report.
Q: I transferred from a semester school and some of my classes were only 3 credits (or 4.5 quarter credits). Who can fix the credit deficiencies on my Academic Requirements report?
A: When transfer credits do not meet the credit requirement in your major or minor, in some cases the missing credits can be fulfilled with other transfer credits or CWU credits not being used elsewhere in the major or minor; in other cases you may need to enroll for additional CWU credits to make up the deficit. Either way, the determination of what courses can be used to fulfill the missing credits is determined by the major department with a signed Permit to Substitute Form sent to Degree Checkout for processing. Every CWU graduate must earn the minimum number of degree credits (180), plus major, minor or specialization and degree requirements.
Q: What problems are most likely to prevent students from graduating?
A: Students are denied for the following reasons:
- 1. Not completing general education requirements or a transferrable AA-DTA degree is not awarded from an in-state community college.
- 2. Not completing pre-requisites for major or minor requirements.
- 3. Not meeting the required 180 total university degree credits.
- 4. Not meeting the required 45 credits of residency.
- 5. Not meeting the required 60 credits of upper division courses.
- 6. Not meeting the upper division GPA requirement, if required in your major.
- 7. Not meeting the 2.00 Central Washington University cumulative GPA requirement.
- 8. Not meeting the minimum GPA requirements for either the major or minor.
- 9. Not clearing all financial accounts with CWU. Your account balance must be zero.
Q: Whom can I talk to in person if I have other problems or questions?
A: There are several units that are here to assist you: they are listed below:
- 1. For General Education problems - call Academic Advising 963-3523 to schedule an appointment. General Education Petition forms may be picked up on the first floor of Mitchell Hall, and should be submitted to Registrar Services prior to applying for your degree.
- 2. For questions pertaining to your major or minor, contact your department.
- 3. For course substitution problems - see your major or minor advisor in the academic department.
- 4. For Academic Requirement report problems - call Degree Checkout at 963-3524.
- 5. For past due financial problems - call Student Financial Services 963-3546.
Q: How do I get an Academic Requirement report, unofficial transcript or transfer credit summary report (if applicable)?
A: Navigate to your MyCWU Student Center: Self Service>> Student Center on MyCWU. Your reports are listed in the drop down box under the Academic Section.
Q: Where do I find my “TO DO LIST” on MyCWU?
A: Navigate to your MyCWU Student Dashboard. Your HOLDS and TO DO LIST is located on the far upper left portion of the page.
Q: What if I realize that I will not be finished in the quarter that I have applied for?
A: Fill out a Graduation Application Withdraw Form (available on-line, at the Centers, and in Degree Checkout) and a new Application for Degree Form for the correct quarter. There is a $20.00 reapplication fee.
Q: How long will it take for me to receive my diploma?
A: It may take 8 - 10 weeks, depending on the quarter. Spring has the highest number of degree applications, so it will take longer after spring grades have been cleared to post degrees and mail diplomas.
Q: How soon can I order an official transcript with the degree posted?
A: Degrees are usually posted within three weeks after the end of a term. You can request a transcript online or in person prior to leaving the institution, and request that it be held until the degree has been posted. There is a $10 fee for each official transcript request.
Q: Where do I get Commencement ceremony information?
A: Watch the Commencement link on the CWU homepage for information as it becomes available: http://www.cwu.edu/commencement
This is usually updated by the end of January for the current year. You can also obtain information at the Grad Finale that is held in spring at main campus and center locations.
Have Questions? Call Degree Checkout at (509) 963-3524.