Office of the Registrar
Bouillon Hall 140
Phone: (509) 963-3001
Fax: (509) 963-1230

Washington Residents Absent from the State

Absence Due to Military/Civil Service

Washington residents, who enter the military/civil service while domiciled in Washington or who established a domicile while stationed in Washington for a period of at least one year, will remain residents while being stationed outside of Washington if they:

  • Return within one year (12 months) of discharge/end of service with the intent to be domiciled in Washington.
  • Maintain legal ties in Washington.

Please reference Military Personnel page for more details.

Absence for Educational Purposes Only

  • Students who are Washington residents and have been absent due to attending an out-of-state college/university will need to complete the residence questionnaire application.
  • Documentation to provide along with the residence questionnaire application:

1. Proof that student has maintained all Washington legal ties and did not take steps to establishing domicile in another state. See Residency Requirements for details.

2. Verification that student resided in Washington for a minimum of one year (12 months) prior to leaving the state for educational purposes.

3. Documentation from the out-of-state college/university verifying student’s enrollment as a non-resident, paying non-resident tuition. If the student attended at a private college/university, verification of continuous enrollment is required.

Students who are financially dependent, meaning claimed on their parent/legal guardian’s latest tax return, reference the Financially Dependency Status page for additional information.