Skip to body


2002 - 2003 Academic and General Regulations

Academic AdvisingSeniors in Graduate Courses
Admission to MajorAuditing Courses
RegistrationConcurrent Enrollment
Credit, AcademicCatalog Choice
Course Numbering and Class StandingWithdrawal from Courses
Student Study LoadWithdrawal From The University
Proficiency RequirementsMilitary Exigency

Academic Advising and Orientation

All students are expected to seek, and the University is expected to provide, appropriate advising resources. These resources may include (but are not limited to) specific faculty advisors, special program advisors, career development counselors, advising seminars, advising workshops, and advising publications. General Education advising is available at the Academic Advising Center located in the SUB 211

Faculty advisors are responsible for providing general education, as well as major program advising. Students are also encouraged to seek advice from various faculty concerning specific areas of interest or from faculty who serve as general advisors. Advisors are also listed in the quarterly schedule of classes.

The Advising Center provides specialized advising for ethnic minority students. The multi-cultural advisor can also assist with time management and study skill development; arrange for free tutoring and peer advising; and recommend academic, employment, and professional opportunities.

Continuing students should meet with their UNIV 101 instructor or departmental advisor during advising week. Advising week takes place the week prior to early registration. During this meeting the student and advisor will discuss the appropriateness of the student's schedule in obtaining their career and academic goals. It is strongly suggested that all other continuing students also meet with their advisors during advising week.

New students with less than45 credits, and all students who participated in running start, are required to attend an on-campus orientation and registration program. For students starting Fall quarter this program takes place on a variety of dates in June and July. For Winter quarter students it takes place in December and for Spring quarter students it takes place in March. New Ellensburg campus students with 45 or more credits are urged to attend the transfer orientation. Orientation for transfer students coming Fall quarter takes place in July. For those students coming for Winter or Spring quarter the orientations take place in December and March respectively. Students attending a campus other thaen Ellensburg need to contact the appropriate center for information about their orientation and registration programs.

Students who do not participate in early registration may register for classes at the beginning of each quarter.

[Back to the Top]

Admission to Major

As a student progresses, identification with a major program of studies becomes necessary for effective advising. Students are required to apply for admission to the program in which they want to major. Application forms are available in department offices. After completing the form, students should submit it to the department office which administers the major. A major or pre-major advisor will be assigned by the major department at the time a student is admitted into a major or pre-major program.

Students who have earned 100 or more credits and who have not applied and been admitted to a major or pre-major will not be permitted to register for classes until they submit a completed report of pre-major advising to the Office of the Registrar indicating that they have discussed a major with a faculty advisor. Otherwise, students who have not been admitted to a major or pre-major prior to 100 credits will be given last priority during early registration.

If a student does not enroll for two or more consecutive quarters at Central Washington University (excluding summer), he or she will be required to reactivate his or her major status. Reactivation must be done with the concurrence of the department and in accordance with department and the Online Electronic Catalog (OEC) requirements current at the time of readmission. Students are bound by the major requirements which became effective with the Fall OEC for the academic year in which they are accepted into their major.

[Back to the Top]


Currently enrolled students register for courses by using the university telephone registration system. A tuition prepayment is required prior to early registration.

Registration for new and readmitted students, and continuing students who did not pre-register, begins the first day of each academic quarter. Students may change their schedule during the designated change of schedule period. Students are encouraged to use the telephone registration system to complete all registration transactions.

Registration, in-person or by telephone, obligates students for payment of all tuition and fees. If tuition is not paid by the due date, students will be liable for a late fee and for any other reasonable collection costs and charges.

Consult the quarterly schedule of classes to determine exact dates for early registration, registration, tuition deadlines and the change of schedule period.

[Back to the Top]

Academic Credit

The rule for determining academic credit is: one credit represents a total time commitment of three hours each week of the quarter. A regular load of 15 credits requires 45 hours of work per week. The total time includes that spent in class, studying, conference with instructor, writing, laboratory, exercises or any other activity required of students. A minimum of 180 credits are required for a degree.

Colleges which operate on a semester basis (i.e., divide the academic year into two parts, exclusive of summer) give semester credits. Quarter credit multiplied by two-thirds equal semester credits. Semester credits multiplied by one-and-one-half equal quarter credits.

[Back to the Top]

Course Numbering and Class Standing

Courses are numbered sequentially from 100 through 700. Those numbered 100 are pre-collegiate and credits earned in such courses are not accepted toward meeting degree requirements. Undergraduate courses are numbered 101 through 499 and graduate courses are numbered 501 and above. Courses numbered 500 are professional development courses and are not accepted toward meeting degree requirements.

Lower Division
Freshman                        101 through 199
Sophomore                       200 through 299

Upper Division
Junior                          300 through 399
Senior                          400 through 499

Students may enroll in courses one year ahead of their present status except when otherwise specified in the course description.

A student's class standing is determined by the number of credits earned and/or accepted upon transfer. The following table lists the credits required for each class:

Freshman                        0-44.9
Sophomore                      45-89.9
Junior                        90-134.9
Senior                     135 or more

Students holding bachelor's degrees are considered graduate students whether or not they are admitted to a graduate degree program. Satisfying graduation requirements depends not only on the number of credits completed (a minimum of 180) but also on completion of all other degree requirements.

[Back to the Top]

Student Study Load

Full-time and part-time students are determined by the number of credits for which they are registered. Full-time undergraduate is 12 credits or more. Three-quarter-time undergraduate is 9-11 credits. One-half-time undergraduate is 6-8 credits. Full-time graduate is 10 or more credits. One-half-time graduate is 5-6 credits.

          15 credits - Standard undergraduate load
          18 credits or fewer - No permission required
          19-20 credits - Major Advisor and Major Department
              Chair approval required, Registrar for undeclared majors
          Over 21 21 credits - Major Advisor and Major
              Department Chair approval as well as the
              appropriate college dean or in the case of
              undecided major, the Registrar

A 2.8 or higher cumulative GPA is recommended for students seeking an overload.

          15 credits - Normal Graduate load
          16 credits or less - No permission required
          17-19 credits - Major Department Chair or Dean
             approval required
          20 or more credits - Graduate Dean's
             approval required

[Back to the Top]

Seniors in Graduate Courses

Seniors may enroll in graduate level courses (501 and above) with the approval of both the instructor of the course and the Department Chair. Credit earned in these courses may meet undergraduate or graduate program requirements, but not both. Students wishing to designate the course for graduate credit must obtain approval from the Dean of Graduate Studies and Research.

[Back to the Top]

Auditing a Course

Students eligible to enroll in a course for credit may enroll as an auditor, provided space is available and permission is secured from the instructor prior to registration. To receive credit for an audited class, students must enroll for credit in and repeat the same course in a subsequent quarter. Students are assessed full tuition for audited courses. Instructors may not compel auditors to write papers or take examinations, but may insist upon other course requirements. Instructors may request of the college dean that auditors be officially withdrawn from the course if these requirements are not met. Students receive neither credit nor grades for audited courses. Course participation requirements are set by the faculty member responsible for the course.

[Back to the Top]

Concurrent Enrollment

Credit for work taken while simultaneously enrolled at CWU and other educational institutions may be transferred to Central. Any student who has obtained an F-1 visa from CWU must obtain permission from the Director of International Programs or designee prior to enrolling in any other institution.

[Back to the Top]

The University Catalog: Choices and Limitations

The official electronic catalog (OEC) is the University's compilation for all curriculum

Undergraduate catalogs are valid for five years. A student should expect to complete General Education requirements as listed in the Online Electronic Catalog current at the time of first enrollment at either Central Washington University or a community college in the state of Washington (provided he or she transfers directly to CWU from the community college and has not attended another four year institution). The student should also expect to meet the specific requirements of the departments for majors and minors in the OEC current at the time he or she is accepted by the department into the major or minor program.

Graduate students admitted to the Master's degree program may use the catalog they are admitted under or the current one.

[Back to the Top]

Withdrawal From a Course

A limited number of uncontested (peremptory) withdrawals from individual courses will be permitted from the sixth day of the quarter through the end of the sixth week of instruction according to the following schedule:

No. of credits earned at     No. of uncontested course
time of course withdrawal    withdrawals permitted

              0-44.9                            2
             45-89.9                            1
            90-134.9                            1
           135-179.9                            1
           180-224.9                            1
             etc.                               1

One uncontested withdrawal will be permitted for each 45 credits after 180 credits. This applies to all students regardless of enrollment classification.

Transfer credits will be included in the calculation for eligibility for uncontested withdrawal.

Peremptory withdrawals will be noted on the student's transcript with "+W". Unused withdrawal allocations will not be cumulative. Class rosters will reflect the +W for students who have used their peremptory withdrawal.

Withdrawals after the sixth week of instruction or when the allotted peremptory withdrawals have been used, will be granted only for reasons of hardship and then only upon written petition to and written approval by the Registrar. The student contact the course instructor and obtain the faculty member's signature on the hardship withdrawal petition. The signature serves merely to acknowledge the petition and implies neither support nor rejection of the request. The Registrar may consult with affected faculty when evaluating a petition and will notify the instructor if the hardship withdrawal has been approved. Hardship withdrawals will be noted on the student's transcript with an "HW" (hardship withdrawal). Hardship withdrawals from individual courses will not be permitted during or after the final examination period.

Conversions of incompletes to withdrawals must be petitioned as if they were hardship withdrawals, i.e., they may be effected only upon petition to the Registrar. Withdrawals will not be included in calculating grade point averages.

There are no tuition refunds in cases of withdrawal from individual courses.

[Back to the Top]

Withdrawal From The University

A student may withdraw from the University for reasons of illness or other extenuating circumstances at any time prior to finals week. An official withdrawal form is available at the Registrar's Office. A student may not withdraw from the University during finals week except with approval of the Registrar. A complete withdrawal from the University will be noted on the student's transcript with a "W." The registrar will notify affected faculty members when a student has withdrawn from the University. Students who plan to leave the University must complete the official withdrawal form. Failure to do so may result in failing grades. There is no refund of tuition and fees if total withdrawal occurs after the 30th calendar day of the beginning of the quarter. See refund policy for specific details.

[Back to the Top]

Withdrawal From the University Due to Military Exigency

Students who have been called into military service of the United States due to a national emergency will be eligible for withdrawal from the University or the granting of credit. The policy does not apply to regular National Guard or Reserve duty or to annual active-duty requirements.

* Students who must withdraw from the University during the first third of the quarter will be granted a total university withdrawal (W).

* Students who must withdraw from the University during the second third of the quarter may request either an uncontested withdrawal (+W) or an Incomplete (I) in each course with no specified deadline for completion to be determined by the dean in consultation with the instructor or a total university withdrawal from all courses (W).

* Students who must withdraw from the University during the last third of the quarter may request an uncontested withdrawal (+W) or an Incomplete (I) or credit if the coursework is satisfactory to be determined by the dean in consultation with the instructor or a total university withdrawal from all courses (W).

*Withdrawals granted by this policy do not count towards the uncontested withdrawal limitations per CWU policy 5-

If credit is awarded, the instructors must report either a letter grade or a Satisfactory (S) for each course depending upon the quality of the student's work. If credit is received and the course(s) complete all requirements for the baccalaureate degree, the degree will be awarded.

* In all circumstances, students will be expected to attend classes up to fifteen (15) calendar days prior to induction.

*Students need to contact Registrar Services or their center office as soon as possible to complete the appropriate paperwork, and to submit a copy of the Federal Activation Orders.

[Back to the Top]

Take the Next Step...