Skip to body


2001 - 2002 Undergraduate Admissions

General Information
Running Start
Home School Applicants
Transfer Applicants
Alternative Admissions
International Students
Concurrent Enrollment
Admission Confirmation
Withdrawal of Admission
Nonmatriculated Status
High School Enrichment Program
Campus Visit

General Information

Central Washington University offers admission to qualified students as they apply. All applicants must submit a completed CWU or Washington State Uniform Application for admission along with a nonrefundable processing fee of $35 in the form of a check or money order. For fall quarter, the Office of Admissions responds to applications soon after Dec. 1 for students who apply before Nov. 15 and within a few weeks for those who apply later. After a sufficient number of students have been offered admission to satisfy enrollment limits, the University may limit offers of admission to only the most highly qualified applicants. Early confirmation of intention to enroll (no later than May 1 for fall quarter) is important for timely notification concerning advising, skills testing, and registration.

First-Year Applicants

First-year applicants (students currently enrolled in high school or high school graduates who have earned fewer than 40 college credits) must send official copies of all high school and college transcripts as well as ACT or SAT acores to the Office of Admissions.

First-year applicants are automatically offered admission if they meet a minimum admissions index, which is determined by a formula that weights high school GPA and standardized test scores in a ratio of approximately 3:1. The formula was developed by the Higher Education Coordinating Board (HECB) of the State of Washington and is a reliable predictor of academic success. Prior to the beginning of school each fall, Washington state high school counselors are mailed information concerning the admission process and minimum admission index for the following year; this information is also available through the Office of Admissions.

First-year applicants must also complete a core course of studies in high school as proscribed by the Higher Education Coordinating Board. Central Washington University recommends that students take additional courses to prepare them for university level work.

Below are the required core courses:


English          4 years                 

Mathematics      3 years, including      
                 algebra, geometry       
                 advanced algebra/       

Social Studies   3 years                 

Science          2 years, including      
                 1 year of               
                 laboratory science      

Foreign          2 years of a single     
Language         foreign language        

Fine & Perform-  1 year of art or music  
ing Arts         or an additional year   
                 of any of the above     

Running Start

The University accepts students under the Running Start Program as provided for in RCW 28A.600.300 through RCW 28A.600.400. Students who have participated in the program, Running Start students must meet both first-year and transfer minimum requirements, and must submit either ACT or SAT scores and oficial copies of all academic transcripts. Running Start students are eligible for all first-year scholarships and must live on-campus for one calendar year regardless of number of college credits earned.

Home School Applicants

Admissions applications for Homeschool students are evaluated on an individual basis. Students will be required to submit ACT or SAT scores, as well as any high school, homeschool or college transcripts available. In addition, they may be asked to submit additional information or essays.

Transfer Applicants

Transfer students who have earned 40 or more college credits must send official copies of all college transcripts to the Office of Admissions. Each year, the University establishes a minimum cumulative GPA for automatic offer of admission. Transfer applicants who do not meet this minimum will be considered for alternative admission if their GPA is above 2.0. Students who have earned transferable associate of arts degrees or associate of science degrees from accredited Washington state community colleges will receive priority consideration for admission.

Alternative Admissions

Central Washington University recognizes that many factors affect grades and test scores; therefore, applicants who have marginal admission indexes are invited to include with their applications any statements or information that they believe will more fully define their potential for academic success.

Students who are 18 or older and have neither completed high school nor 40 credits of college level work elsewhere may be considered for admission if they have earned General Education Development (GED) certificates.

Students 25 or older who have poor academic histories and have not attended school recently are also eligible for alternative admission.

All applicants for alternative admission must submit ACT or SAT scores. Applicants may also be required to complete supplemental application forms, present and analyze their academic histories and goals, and/or meet with representatives of the Office of Admissions.

International Students

Central Washington University welcomes qualified students from other countries. Students demonstrating the greatest potential for success at the university level may be admitted after a thorough review and evaluation of their entire academic background.

Because educational systems vary widely around the world, there is no single, uniform admission requirement for international students; however, they must meet the following minimum requirements for admission purposes:

1. Completion of the academic coursework and national examinations necessary to satisfy admission requirements to colleges and universities in their native country.

2. Adequate financial support, verified by the Confidential Financial Statement form and a current bank letter or scholarship award.

3. If English is not the first language, competency in English must be demonstrated through a score of 525 or higher on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), or a score of 195 on the computer-based TOEFL, or transferable English composition courses which would meet the general education writing requirement (3.0 GPA). Students may also satisfy the language competency requirement through recommendation from the UESL Program at CWU. Competency in English is required before an I-20 is issued.

4. International students transferring from U.S. institutions must have a minimum grade point average of 2.50 in transferable courses and meet the academic requirements for college entrance in their native country.

In addition to submitting the University's International Student Application for Admission and the $35 application fee, students must send official transcripts directly to the Office of Admissions from all secondary schools and colleges attended. Examination results, such as General Certificate of Education, Ordinary and Advanced Level scores, West African School Certificate, Hong Kong Certificate of Education or Advanced Level Certificate, etc., should be sent directly from the Testing Center in charge of administering the examinations. Personal student papers, photostats, or attested copies are not accepted for admission or evaluation purposes. All documents should be sent well in advance (90 days) of the quarter for which the applicant seeks admission.

International Student Concurrent Enrollment

Any student who has obtained an F-1 visa from CWU must obtain permission from the Director of International Programs or designee prior to enrolling in any other institution.

Leave of Absence

Students who do not enroll for consecutive academic quarters (exclusive of summer) must reapply for admission. However, if students meet the criteria below, they may be granted a leave of absence, which means that they do not have to reapply for the following quarter and that they may pre-register for classes as continuing students:

1. The Application for Leave of Absence must be submitted to the Office of Admissions on or before the last day of the quarter (including summer) prior to the quarter for which the student is seeking leave.

2. Leaves will be approved only if attending consecutive quarters would present an exceptional hardship or loss of opportunity.

3. Students seeking leave for more than one quarter must apply each quarter for the following quarter.

Readmission of Former Students

Students enrolled in CWU who interrupt thier studies for one or more quarters at CWU (excluding summer) must reapply for admission to the University and pay the admission fee.

Eligibility for readmission will be based on performance at CWU as well as on additional college-level work. Former students must send official transcripts of the additional work to the office of Admissions if they have attended college elsewhere during their absence.

Confirmation of Admission

Students who are offered admission to the University must confirm their intention to enroll by paying a nonrefundable $55 confirmation fee before they can begin the orientation, registration, and advising process. The University will not withdraw an offer of admission until after May 1; after that time students who have not confirmed may be denied admission if enrollment limits have been reached. Students who choose not to accept offers of admission should notify the Office of Admission in writing.

An offer of admission is only valid for the academic quarter indicated in the acceptance letter. A student who chooses not to accept an offer of admission may reapply for a subsequent quarter.

Withdrawal of Offer of Admission

Offers of admission may be withdrawn if a student's academic work between the time of application and the quarter for which the student has applied results in the student not meeting the minimum requirements for automatic admission or other requirements in the offer of admission. If an offer of admission is withdrawn, then the Office of Admissions will refund the confirmation fee.

Applicants for Nonmatriculated Status

Students who are not seeking degrees or certificates may be allowed to enroll in courses as nonmatriculated students. These students should apply through the Office of the Registrar and may be allowed to register for a maximum of nine credits on a space available basis. Credits earned as a nonmatriculated student may not be used to satisfy degree or certificate requirements unless the student applies and is accepted as a matriculated student*, in which case a maximum of 45 credits may be applied.

Students who have previously attended Central Washington University as matriculated students and have not obtained a degree and students who have applied and been rejected for undergraduate matriculated status will not be allowed to enroll as nonmatriculated students.

Nonmatriculated students are not eligible for most financial aid, veteran's benefits, credit evaluations, or other services regularly provided for matriculated students.

*Exception may be made for non-matriculants in collaborative certificate programs.

High School Enrichment Program

Students who have not yet graduated from high school may be allowed to enroll as nonmatriculated students for courses that they need to advance academically, provided that such academic opportunities are not readily available to them elsewhere. To be eligible for the High School Enrichment Program, students must have demonstrated superior academic performance or preparation in the area of study for which they are applying.

High School Enrichment applicants must explain in writing their reasons for wanting to attend specific courses at the University and offer arguments for their potential to succeed. They must also meet with the Director of Admissions and have the approval of their high school principal and the course professor.

Campus Visit

Prospective students, their relatives, and friends may visit the University through the Sampler Program. There is a nominal charge to participate in this program, which enables visitors to spend a night in a residence hall, eat three meals in the cafeteria, tour campus, and hear presentations by Admissions, Housing, and Student Affairs. Sampler staff also arrange for individual meetings with faculty. Sampler visits are available on selected dates throughout the academic year. Scheduled tours of campus are available Monday through Friday. Please call 1-866-CWU-4YOU (1-866-298-4868) for information or reservations.

Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.