Skip to body


Contact Us

Registrar Services
Bouillon Hall 140
(509) 963-3001

2001 - 2002 Tuition and Fees


General tuition and fee rates are established by the state legislature and miscellaneous fees are set by the CWU Board of Trustees. Tuition for 2001-2002 has not been set at this time, therefore, the following rates are for 2000-2001. All fees are subject to change without notice.

Undergraduate and post-baccalaureate students registering for 10-18 credits:

Tuition Fees for Residents of the State of Washington $946.00
Tuition Fees for Nonresidents of the State of Washington $3,363.00

Undergraduate and post-baccalaureate students registering for nine credits or less:

Resident - for each credit $94.60
Minimum of $189.20

Nonresident - for each credit $336.30
Minimum of $672.60

Graduate (Master's Degree) students registering for 10-18 credits:

Resident Graduate $1,516.00

Nonresident Graduate $4,616.00

Graduate (Master's Degree) students registering for nine credits or less:

Resident - Graduate - for each credit $151.60.
Minimum of $303.20

Nonresident Graduate - for each credit $461.60.
Minimum of $923.20

Students registering for more than 18 credits:

Undergraduate & Post-baccalaureate, Resident each credit $84.00

Undergraduate & Post-baccalaureate, Nonresident each credit $325.00

Graduate, Resident Advanced Degree each credit $140.00

Graduate, Nonresident Advanced Degree each credit $451.00

Continuing Education Tuition and Fees

All courses taught through Continuing Education are self-supporting. The waiver for Southeast Asia veterans, university staff and senior citizens does not apply. Full fee paying students must make additional payments at the rate established for each continuing education course in which they enroll.

Resident and Nonresident Status

Washington state law concerning resident classification for tuition and fee purposes, RCW 28B.15.012 et seq., requires that a student "(a)(i) have established a bona fide domicile in the state of Washington, primarily for purposes other than educational, for at least one year immediately prior to the beginning of the quarter for which he or she registers at the University, and (ii) be financially independent, or (b) be a dependent student, one or both of whose parents or legal guardians have maintained a bona fide domicile in the state of Washington for at least one year prior to the beginning of the quarter for which the student registers at the University." The term "domicile" denotes a person's true, fixed, and permanent home and place of habitation. It is the place where he or she intends to remain, and to which he or she expects to return when he or she leaves without intending to establish a new domicile elsewhere.

Any change of residency status for a given quarter must be based on written evidence provided by the student on a residency classification questionnaire on or before the first class day of the quarter for which a change of residency is sought. Questionnaires are available through the Office of Admissions. The burden of proof in all cases rests with the student.

In accordance with RCW 28B.15.014, certain nonresidents are exempted from paying nonresident tuition and fees. To be eligible for such an exemption, a nonresident student must provide documented evidence that he or she resides in the state of Washington, and (a) holds a graduate service appointment, designated as such by the University, involving not less than 20 hours per week; (b) is employed for an academic department in support of the instructional or research programs involving not less than 20 hours per week; or (c) is a faculty member, classified staff member, administratively exempt employee holding not less than a half-time appointment, or dependent child of such a person.

To qualify as a Washington state resident, a student must be a U.S. citizen or have permanent resident (resident alien) status. A student must also be either independent and have established a permanent home in the state of Washington for purposes other than education at least 12 months prior to enrollment, or dependent and have a parent(s) or guardian(s) who has been a legal resident for at least 12 months prior to enrollment. Verification will be requested.

The spouse or dependent of a person who is on active military duty, stationed in Washington, can be classified as a resident by submitting proof of military assignment. A student cannot qualify as a Washington resident if s/he (or parent, in the case of a dependent) has attended college as a resident of another state within a year prior to enrollment; has received financial assistance from another state, including reciprocity awards, within a year prior to enrollment; or possesses a current out-of-state driver's license, vehicle registration or other document which gives evidence of being domiciled in another state. For further information, contact the Office of Admissions at (509) 963-3001.

All residency questions should be directed to the Office of Admissions.

Senior Citizens

Senior citizens are encouraged to take advantage of the large variety of courses offered at the University. Persons 60 years of age or older may register as an auditor the first day of class on a space available basis with permission of instructor. The fee is $5 for a maximum of two courses, not to exceed six credits. Any person utilizing this provision taking more than six credits must pay an additional $25 tuition charge. Credits may not be applied toward meeting requirements for any degree or for increments on any wage or salary scale.

Southeast Asian Veterans

Chapter 306- Laws of the State of Washington, 1989, RCW 28B.15.620 may provide a special exemption from the 1977 increase in tuition and fees for persons who (a) have served in the Southeast Asia theater of operation, (b) between a period commencing August 5, 1964, and ending May 7, 1975, and (c) who qualify as a resident student under R.C.W.28B.15.012. For further information contact the Veteran Affairs Office.

Employee Tuition Waiver

The University offers educational benefits for CWU personnel, members of Washington State National Guard, and state employees. Eligible employees must hold appointment to a half-time or more position and have attained permanent status. For purposes of this section, half-time shall include all permanent employees who are employed on a 20 hour-per-week basis, including employees scheduled for 20 hours per week for more than six months per year on an instructional-year basis.

Faculty who are employed half-time or more for a period of at least six months are eligible for these educational benefits. Faculty who are hired on a quarter-to-quarter basis become eligible beginning with the second consecutive quarter of half-time or more employment. For the purpose of this section, employment of faculty in spring quarter and the following fall quarter may constitute consecutive employment.

Employees who are not eligible for the tuition and fee waiver are: faculty on courtesy appointments; retired faculty, staff, and exempt personnel; and undergraduate and graduate assistants, associates, or others holding positions with student status. Employees who have met university admission requirements and filed proof of eligibility with the Office of the Registrar no less than 15 working days prior to the beginning of each academic term may take up to six credit hours of coursework for a nominal fee each quarter (summer excluded). Enrollment is subject to space availability only. Enrollment in a closed course under this waiver is prohibited. Consult the educational benefits policy for CWU staff, state employees, and National Guard members for specifics.

Tuition Refund Schedule

A continuing student will receive 100 percent of tuition and fees if a complete withdrawal from the University occurs prior to the sixth day of the quarter.

A student will receive 50 percent of tuition and fees if a complete withdrawal from the University occurs on or after the sixth day of the quarter and within 30 calendar days of the beginning of the quarter.

There is no refund of tuition and fees if withdrawal from the University occurs after the 30th calendar day of the quarter.

There is no refund for individual class withdrawals after the change of schedule period.

Tuition and fees may be refunded to students unable to complete coursework as a result of being called to active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States.

Miscellaneous Fee Schedule

Fees are subject to change for the 2001-2002 academic year.

Application For Admission Fee. $35.

Confirmation of Acceptance of Admission Fee. $55.

Athletic Fee. $35 mandatory fee for students. Students with less than 10 credits will be assessed $3.50 per credit.

Health and Counseling Fee. $45 per quarter for all campus-based students enrolled for six or more credit hours. $25 for students enrolled in five or more credits during summer session.

Technology Fee. $25 mandatory fee for students. Students with less than 10 credits will be assessed $2.50 per credit.

Audit Fee (without credit). A student enrolling in a course as an auditor is charged regular fees.

Breakage Fee. Students enrolled in certain courses are required to pay for any equipment they break. Fees are variable according to the item broken.

Credit by Examination Fee. Students applying to challenge a course will be assessed a nonrefundable fee of $15 per credit, with a minimum of $30 per course challenge.

Graduation Fees. The fee for a non-teaching baccalaureate degree is $25. The fee for a teaching baccalaureate degree is $52. Degree reapplication fee is $15. An additional $10 will be assessed for concurrent degrees. (Note: Traditional commencement regalia is available through the University Bookstore.)

Transcript Fee. $5 for each copy. $12 for on demand, express mail or FAX copies. All fees are due in advance.

Health and Accident Insurance. Group insurance is optional. An additional premium will allow student dependents to be covered by medical facilities other than the student health center, which is reserved for student use only. For further information, inquire at the Cashier's Office.

Safe Ride Fee. $3 per quarter. No fee during summer session.

Student-in-Training (Liability) Insurance. In order to register for certain courses, a student must arrange for individual student-in-training (liability) insurance purchased either through the CWU business office or through some other agency. Information regarding types of coverage available may be obtained from the Department Chair or Program Director.

International Studies Application Fee. A fee not to exceed $150 per student per quarter for students participating in study abroad or exchange programs.

Master's Thesis Binding Fee. Students submitting a thesis as part of the requirements for the Master's degree pay a fee of $48 for binding of three copies of their thesis. Two copies are deposited in the library and one copy is given to the student. Students not wishing a copy for themselves will be assessed $32. Any students wanting more than one copy for themselves must make their own binding arrangements for the extra copies.

Parking. Students using the university's parking facilities must purchase a campus parking permit.

Supply and Equipment Fees. Students enrolling in certain courses are charged for supplies and equipment not furnished as part of the course.

Late Fee. Students failing to pay their tuition in full by the published deadline are assessed a $50 late fee.

Reinstatement Fee. Students who are cancelled on the 30th day of the quarter for tuition non-payment will be assessed a $75 reinstatement fee if reinstatement is granted.

Registration Confirmation Fee. $50. This fee is required of all students without full financial aid who wish to preregister. The fee will be applied toward the students tuition. Students failing to attend will forfiet $50.

Financial Obligation

Admission to or registration with the University, conferring of degrees and issuance of academic transcripts may be withheld for failure to meet financial obligations to the University. Payment received from students will be applied in the following priority: 1) oldest charge; 2) tuition and course fees; 3) housing and dining charges; 4) other charges.

Registration, by telephone or in-person, obligates students for payment of all tuition and fees. If tuition is not paid by the due date, students will be assessed a $50 late fee and be liable for any other reasonable collection costs and charges.

Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.