Skip to body


Contact Us

Registrar Services
Bouillon Hall 140
(509) 963-3001

2001 - 2002 Grading Policies and Regulations

Grade Points
Grade Point Average
Credit/No Credit Option
Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory Courses
Grade Changes, Statute of Limitations
Grade Reports
Honor Roll
Grade Appeal
Repetition of Courses
Grades, Incompletes
Scholastic Standards
Academic Forgiveness
Class Attendance
Athletic Participation
Credit By Examination
Course Challenge List
Course Substitution
Academic Appeal
Assessment Activities

Grade Points

"Grade Points" are assigned to each grade as follows:

     Grade             Grade Points per Credit

         A                             4.0
         A-                            3.7
         B+                            3.3
         B                             3.0
         B-                            2.7
         C+                            2.3
         C                             2.0
         C-                            1.7
         D+                            1.3
         D                             1.0
         D-                            0.7
         F                             0.0

A "C" grade indicates that a student has made substantial progress toward meeting the objectives of the course and has fulfilled the requirements of the course. The grades above "C" are used for those students who have demonstrated some degree of superiority. The highest grade, "A," is reserved for those students who have excelled in every phase of the course. The "B" grade is for students whose work is superior but does not warrant the special distinctiveness of the "A." The "D" is a grade for those students who have made progress toward meeting the objectives of the course but who have fulfilled the requirements only in a substandard manner. The "F" is reserved for students who have failed to meet or have accomplished so few of the requirements of the course that they are not entitled to credit.

The following symbols are also used. No "grade points" are assigned.

S      Satisfactory
U      Unsatisfactory
AU     Audit
W      Indicates a complete withdrawal from the University.
+W     Indicates an uncontested withdrawal from a course.
HW     Indicates a hardship withdrawal from a course.
I      Incomplete: an "I" when recorded, is not
        a qualitative grade. Rather, it means
        that a student was not able to complete the 
        course by the end of the term, but had satisfactorily
        completed a sufficient portion of it and can be
        expected to  finish without having to reenroll in 
        it. To earn a grade, coursework must be 
        completed as prescribed by the instructor on forms
        filed in the appropriate department office. If it is
        not completed within one calendar year, the "I" will
        automatically be changed to an "F."
IP     In Progress-A grade is issued when the course is
        completed. It is primarily for graduate thesis,
        project study and Organization Development courses.
INC    Incomplete extended beyond normal limit. Frozen upon
        program completion.
NR     No grade reported.
NS     No show. No evidence that the student has ever
        attended class.
Z      Undergraduate in progress. A grade is issued when the course
        is completed.  Course must have prior approval before 
        posting the "Z" grade.

Grade Point Average

Grade point averages will be calculated by dividing grade points earned by the credit hours attempted. Here is a typical example:

Course     Credit     Grade     Grade
             Hours                Points
             Attempted            Earned

Music 104       3          C+     (2.3 x 3)   6.9
History 143     5          B-     (2.7 x 5)  13.5
Psychology 300  5          C      (2.0 x 5)  10.0
Com 207         4          B      (3.0 x 4)  12.0

Totals         17                            42.4

Dividing 42.4 by 17 gives a grade point average of 2.49. In computing cumulative grade point averages, only work attempted at Central will be included in the computation. Within the major, minor and professional education option grades earned in all allowed courses are used. Credits earned at other institutions are accepted in meeting degree requirements according to the limits described under bachelor's degree requirements.

Credit/No Credit Option

Students are urged to use the credit/no credit option as a way to explore academic areas of interest. Students, except for first quarter freshmen and students on academic probation, may select one course per quarter under this option. Course taken to meet major, minor, or professional education sequence cannot be taken under the credit/no credit option. A maximum of 15 credits earned in credit/no credit courses may be allowed toward the 180 required for the Bachelor's degree. Courses taken beyond the 15 credit maximum as credit/no credit will be converted to a grade.

Students under the current general education requirements beginning fall 1998, must take all general education courses for a letter grade (since Fall 1999).

Students can designate the course as credit/no credit during registration by the end or the sixth week of instruction. Courses may not be repeated on a credit/no credit basis.

Credits earned under the credit/no credit option are not included in computing grade point averages. The grade recorded on the student's transcript will be "CR" if the course grade is C- or above, if below C-, the entry will be "NC."

The credit/no credit option is distinctive from courses graded on satisfactory/unsatisfactory basis.

Credit/no credit courses will not be allowed toward Master's degree requirements.

Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory Courses

New courses for which there are no performance evaluations required for entrance, progress, or completion, and for which attendance is the basis for evaluation, will be graded S/U.

Courses graded Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory and the conditions under which they will be so graded must be so identified in the course description in the catalog.

Statute of Limitations on Grade Changes

Grade changes may be filed until the end of the quarter following the one in which they were recorded. Spring quarter grades may be changed until the end of the fall quarter.

Grade Reports

A report of the final grades assigned in courses will be made available to each student at the end of each quarter.

Honor Roll

Undergraduates who achieve a grade point average of 3.5 or higher will be named to the honor roll. To be eligible a student must complete a minimum of 12 graded credits in the quarter earned. Post-baccalaureate students are not eligible for the honor roll.

Grade Appeal Procedure

Students who believe they have been improperly graded should first attempt to resolve the matter with the instructor. If resolution is not achieved, the student may appeal the grievance to the Department Chair. Failing resolution at that level, the grievance may be submitted to the college Dean. Finally, if the grievance is not resolved at the Dean level, the student may petition for a hearing with the board of academic appeals. For details contact the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs.

Repetition of Courses

Some CWU courses are approved for repetition with credit awarded each time the course is taken and passed. Such approval is indicated in the course description in the University catalog. Full tuition is assessed for all repeated courses. Other courses may be repeated under the following conditions:

* Students are allowed to take a course a second time. Students attempting to take the same course a third time may do so only with permission of the course instructor and the department chair. Unless otherwise designated as repeatable, courses may not be taken more than three times without permission of dean of the college and department chair.

* Credit will be awarded only once, including credit for transfer courses that are repeated at Central.

* When a course is repeated, only the last grade earned will be used in the computation of the cumulative and major grade point aberages. All grades will remain in the student's official record.

Any CWU course repeated at another insititution is subject to the following requirements:

* It cannot be transferred in for CWU credit.

* Its grade will not be used in calculating either the CWU or the transfer GPA.

* Under exceptional circumstances, it may be used to waive major or program requirements with permission of the department chair or the program certification officer.

Incomplete Grades

An "I" means the student was not able to complete the course by the end of the term, but has satisfactorily completed a sufficient portion of it and can be expected to finish without having to re-enroll in it. To earn a grade, work of the course must be completed as prescribed by the instructor on forms filed in the appropriate department office. If it is not completed within one calendar year, the "I" will convert to an "F."

All incomplete changes exceeding the one calendar year limit, including extensions, must be submitted to Registrar Services for approval.

Students may not re-register for a course in which they have received a grade of incomplete. If a student re-registers in an incomplete through his/her own initiative, and the student remains registered in the course beyond the sixth day of the quarter, no refund will be given. The action, although usually unintentional, simulates an actual course repeat in which full fees are assessed.

Scholastic Standards

Academic standards are established by the faculty. The Vice President for Student Affairs has responsibility for implementing these standards. A student's academic standing appears on the quarterly grade report. Questions about academic standing should be directed to the Office of Student Affairs.

Good Standing: A student is in good standing when both the quarterly and cumulative grade point averages (GPA) are 2.0 or higher.

Academic Warning: A student who has been in good standing will be placed on academic warning when the GPA for the previous quarter is below 2.0.

Academic Probation: A student who has been on academic warning will be placed on academic probation if either the quarterly or cumulative GPA is below 2.0.

Academic Suspension: A student who has been on academic probation will be placed on academic suspension if the GPA for the previous quarter is below 2.0. If the GPA for the previous quarter is 2.0 or above, but the cumulative GPA remains below 2.0, the student will remain on academic probation.

Immediately after grade reports are prepared, the Vice President for Student Affairs reviews the academic files of all suspended students and makes one of three decisions:

* The student may be allowed to register for one more quarter with an academic standing of probation.

* The student may be allowed to submit a petition presenting evidence of circumstances beyond the student's control which adversely affected the student's performance during the preceding quarter(s). If the petition presents convincing evidence of such extenuating circumstances, the student will be referred to the academic standing committee. The committee will hear the student's case and may decide to allow the student to enroll for one more quarter on academic probation.

* The student may be denied enrollment for one year, following which a written petition for readmission must be presented to the Vice President for Student Affairs. Readmission, however, is not guaranteed.

A letter will be sent to the student informing him/her of the Vice President's decision.

Academic Forgiveness

A former undergraduate returning after an absence of at least five years and whose cumulative GPA at the time of leaving was below 2.0 may petition the Registrar for waiver of the low GPA and for academic placement as "good standing." Such a petition may be approved only once and then only if at least five years have elapsed since last attendance and there is documented evidence of a change in the student's life which would indicate a readiness for successful scholarship.

If academic forgiveness is granted, the previous credits and grades will remain in the student's record, however the grade point average will be suppressed and the student will be admitted in good standing. The cumulative grade point average will include all grades for all courses UNLESS the student has earned at least a 3.0 GPA in 45 credits since returning, in which case ONLY the grades earned since reinstatement will be used in computing the cumulative grade point average. The forgiveness policy does not extend to calculating grade point averages of majors or to honors.

Class Attendance and Participation

Instructors may require regular class attendance. The first day of the quarter is the first day of instruction listed in the university calendar. An instructor may drop a student from the class by notifying the Registrar if the student has failed to attend the class by the end of the third day of the quarter or the first class meeting if the class does not meet during the first three days of the quarter.

A student who does not meet course prerequisites may be required to drop the course. Instructors are not required to offer makeup work for absences.

Sponsors of university-approved activities requiring absence from campus will prepare and sign an official list of the names of those students who plan to be absent. It is each student's responsibility to present a copy of the official list to the appropriate instructors and make arrangements for the absence. Instructors are encouraged to make accommodations.

Members of the university community directing or arranging such activities must adhere to the following guidelines:

Scheduling of such activities shall not overlap with official final examination periods.

Scheduling of such activities shall not require an absence of more than three (3) consecutive class days.

Scheduling of such activities shall be announced to the students far enough in advance for them to plan to fulfill course requirements.

If an exception to these guidelines is needed, the sponsor of the activity will contact instructors to determine whether or not participation in the activity will negatively affect the student's performance or grade.

Seeking permission for an exception lies with the sponsor and not with the student(s).

Athletic Participation

Central Washington University Athletics is governed by the rules of the NCAA Division II. Further information on those rules is available through the Athletic Office, or the office of the Faculty Athletics Representative. University academic requirements for participation require the student athlete to meet the requirements of those athletics organizations as well as:

*Maintain a 2.00 accumulative grade point average at all times

*Be in good academic standing at all times

*Effective Fall 2000, all incoming freshmen and transfer students must complete Health Education 205, Drugs and Sport, by the end of their third year (or junior status) in order to remain eligible for participation in varsity sports.

Course Challenge (Credit By Examination)

Under certain circumstances the University may award credit or waive requirements based on course challenges or prior learning experience. Matriculated students, enrolled on a full-time basis, may challenge any course which appears on the current course challenge list. The following rules apply:

* A course challenge application form, available in the Office of the Registrar, must be completed.

* A fee of $15 per credit, with a minimum of $30 per course, must be paid.

* The challenge is conducted according to procedures established by the departments.

* The result of the course challenge is recorded as "S" or "U" on the transcript and is not used in computing grade point average.

* The application to challenge a course will be denied if credit for the course has been received previously at this or another college, the course was previously failed, the student previously withdrew from the course, the course was previously unsatisfactorily challenged, audited or if registration was canceled.

* Credit by examination will not be allowed toward meeting the residence study requirements by the University.

* Graduate students which have been admitted to a graduate program must obtain permission from the Dean of Graduate Studies and Research, their advisor and the course instructor for course challenge.

Course Challenge List

Special courses such as "Individual Study," "Special Topics," "Cooperative Education," and "Seminars" may not be challenged for credit.

Accounting: all undergraduate courses.

Aerospace Studies: no courses are offered for challenge.

Administrative Management: all undergraduate courses.

Allied Health Sciences: some courses may be challenged with approval.

Anthropology: all undergraduate courses with chair's approval.

Art: all undergraduate courses with chair's approval except 101.

Biological Sciences: all undergraduate courses, except

Business Administration: all undergraduate courses.

Business Education: all undergraduate courses except 420, 425, 426, 445.

Chemistry: all undergraduate courses except laboratory

Communication: 101, 250, 252, 340, 350, 445.

Computer Sciences: all undergraduate courses.

Early Childhood Education: no courses are offered for challenge.

Economics: all undergraduate courses.

Education: all undergraduate courses with chair's approval.

English: no courses are offered for challenge.

Environmental Studies: no courses are offered for challenge.

Ethnic Studies: all undergraduate courses with chair's approval.

Family and Consumer Sciences: FCSA 150, FCSN 140, 140.1, 240, 240.1, 245, 340, 340.1, 341, 345, 348, 440, 440.1, 441, 442, 443, 444, 445, 446, 447, and 448.

Flight Technology: all courses with departmental approval.

Foreign Languages: all undergraduate courses with Chair's approval.

Geography: no courses are offered for challenge.

Geology: no courses are offered for challenge.

Health Education: all undergraduate courses.

History: 101, 102, 103, 143, 144.

Humanities: 101, 102, 103.

Industrial and Engineering Technology: all undergraduate courses with Chair's approval.

Law and Justice: all undergraduate courses with Director's approval.

Leisure Services: no courses are offered for challenge.

Marketing Education: all undergraduate courses except 331, 445.

Mathematics: all undergraduate courses numbered above 170.

Military Science: all 100 and 200 level courses.

Music: all undergraduate courses except applied lessons, class lessons, and performing groups.

Occupational Education: 401

Philosophy: all undergraduate courses.

Physical Education: all undergraduate courses.

Physics: no courses are offered for challenge.

Political Science: no courses are offered for challenge.

Psychology: all undergraduate courses with Chair's approval.

Religious Studies: all undergraduate courses.

Safety Education: no courses are offered for challenge.

Social Science: no courses are offered for challenge.

Sociology: all undergraduate courses with Chair's approval.

Theatre Arts: 107, 166, 363.1, 363.2, 363.3, 371, 373, 381, 383.

Course Substitutions

Students may petition the appropriate department chair if they wish to substitute courses within degree requirements. Course substitutions may not contravene general university policy.

Academic Appeal

The student should be aware that procedures have been established to hear complaints regarding academic matters. The Board of Academic Appeals exists to guarantee due process for academic grievances involving students, faculty, staff and administration, or any faculty member against any student in matters concerning academic welfare. The Academic Appleals policy is established by the Faculty Senate and is administered by the Vice President for Student Affairs.

Required Participation in Assessment Activities

Students are required to participate in assessments activities at several points during their academic careers. Students will be assessed for placement into English 101 and Math 101 and above upon entering CWU as freshmen. Students with deficiencies in English usage/reading or computation must correct them prior to enrolling in ENG 101 or MATH 101 and above, respectively.

Once accepted, international students may be eveluated by the ESL staff to determine whether additional English as a Second Language coursework will be redquired during attendance at CWU.

Students will be tested for proficiency in English usage, reading, and computation after the student has completed 90 credits but prior to accumulating 110 credits. Departments may establish their own requirements as long as they meet or exceed University standards. Departments may also require students with deficiencies to correct them before being accepted into the major.

Students will participate in an assessment of intended student outcomes of the General Education Program. End-of-major assessments are required prior to graduation.

Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.