Skip to body


2001 - 2002 Academic and General Regulations

Academic Advising
Admission to Major
Credit, Academic
Course Numbering and Class Standing
Student Study Load
Proficiency Requirements
Seniors in Graduate Courses
Auditing Courses
Concurrent Enrollment
Catalog Choice
Withdrawal from Courses
Withdrawal From The University
Military Exigency

Academic Advising and Orientation

All students are expected to seek, and the University is expected to provide, appropriate advising resources. These resources may include (but are not limited to) specific faculty advisors, special program advisors, career development counselors, advising seminars, advising workshops, and advising publications. General Education advising is available at the Academic Advising Center located in the SUB 211

Faculty advisors are responsible for providing general education, as well as major program advising. Students are also encouraged to seek advice from various faculty concerning specific areas of interest or from faculty who serve as general advisors. Advisors are listed in the quarterly schedule of classes.

The Advising Center provides specialized advising for ethnic minority students. The multi-cultural advisor can also assist with time management and study skill development; arrange for free tutoring and peer advising; and recommend academic, employment, and professional opportunities.

Continuing students should meet with their advisors prior to preregistration, which takes place approximately four weeks before the end of each quarter. For fall quarter, new first-year students are invited to come to campus during the summer for transitional advising, and registration for classes. Transfer students, who have completed more than 44 transferable credits, may also register during a specified period during the summer, but they should recognize that faculty advisors are not always available at this time.

Students who do not participate in preregistration or early registration may register for classes at the beginning of each quarter. Academic Advising Services provides an orientation for new students on the university's general education program and advising processes.

Admission to Major

As a student progresses, identification with a major program of studies becomes necessary for effective advising. Students are required to apply for admission to the program in which they want to major. Application forms are available in department offices. After completing the form, students should submit it to the department office which administers the major. A major or pre-major advisor will be assigned by the major department at the time a student is admitted into a major or pre-major program.

Students who have earned 100 or more credits and who have not applied and been admitted to a major or pre-major will not be permitted to register for classes until they submit a completed report of pre-major advising to the Office of the Registrar indicating that they have discussed a major with a faculty advisor. Otherwise, students who have not been admitted to a major or pre-major prir to 100 credits will be given last priority during preregistration.

If a student does not enroll for two or more consecutive quarters at Central Washington University (excluding summer), he or she will be required to reactivate his or her major status. Reactivation must be done with the concurrence of the department and in accordance with department and the Online Electronic Catalog (OEC) requirements current at the time of readmission. Students are bound by the major requirements which became effective with the Fall OEC for the academic year in which they are accepted into their major.


Currently enrolled students preregister for courses by using the university telephone registration system. A tuition prepayment is required prior to preregistration.

Registration for new and readmitted students, and continuing students who did not preregister, begins the first day of each academic quarter. Students may change their schedule during the designated change of schedule period. Students are encouraged to use the telephone registration system to complete all registration transactions.

Registration, in-person or by telephone, obligates students for payment of all tuition and fees. If tuition is not paid by the due date, students will be liable for a late fee and for any other reasonable collection costs and charges.

Consult the quarterly schedule of classes to determine exact dates for preregistration, registration, tuition deadlines and the change of schedule period.

Academic Credit

The rule for determining academic credit is: one credit represents a total time commitment of three hours each week of the quarter. A regular load of 15 credits requires 45 hours of work per week. The total time includes that spent in class, studying, conference with instructor, writing, laboratory, exercises or any other activity required of students. A minimum of 180 credits are required for a degree.

Colleges which operate on a semester basis (i.e., divide the academic year into two parts, exclusive of summer) give semester credits. Quarter credit multiplied by two-thirds equal semester credits. Semester credits multiplied by one-and-one-half equal quarter credits.

Course Numbering and Class Standing

Courses are numbered sequentially from 100 through 700. Those numbered 100 are pre-collegiate and credits earned in such courses are not accepted toward meeting degree requirements. Undergraduate courses are numbered 101 through 499 and graduate courses are numbered 501 and above. Courses numbered 500 are professional development courses and are not accepted toward meeting degree requirements.

Lower Division
Freshman                        101 through 199
Sophomore                       200 through 299

Upper Division
Junior                          300 through 399
Senior                          400 through 499

Students may enroll in courses one year ahead of their present status except when otherwise specified in the course description.

A student's class standing is determined by the number of credits earned and/or accepted upon transfer. The following table lists the credits required for each class:

Freshman                        0-44.9
Sophomore                      45-89.9
Junior                        90-134.9
Senior                     135 or more

Students holding bachelor's degrees are considered graduate students whether or not they are admitted to a graduate degree program. Satisfying graduation requirements depends not only on the number of credits completed (a minimum of 180) but also on completion of all other degree requirements.

Student Study Load

Full-time and part-time students are determined by the number of credits for which they are registered. Full-time undergraduate is 12 credits or more. Three-quarter-time undergraduate is 9-11 credits. One-half-time undergraduate is 6-8 credits. Full-time graduate is 10 or more credits. One-half-time graduate is 5-6 credits.

          15 credits - Standard undergraduate load
          18 credits or fewer - No permission required
          19-20 credits - Major Advisor and Major Department
              Chair approval required, Registrar for undeclared majors
          Over 21 credits - Major Advisor and Major
              Department Chair approval as well as the
              appropriate college dean or in the case of
              undecided major, the Registrar

A 2.8 or higher cumulative GPA is recommended for students seeking an overload.

          15 credits - Normal Graduate load
          16 credits or less - No permission required
          17-19 credits - Major Department Chair or Dean
             approval required
          20 or more credits - Graduate Dean's
             approval required

Seniors in Graduate Courses

Seniors may enroll in graduate level courses (501 and above) with the approval of both the instructor of the course and the Department Chair. Credit earned in these courses may meet undergraduate or graduate program requirements, but not both. Students wishing to designate the course for graduate credit must obtain approval from the Dean of Graduate Studies and Research.

Auditing a Course

Students eligible to enroll in a course for credit may enroll as an auditor, provided space is available and permission is secured from the instructor prior to registration. To receive credit for an audited class, students must enroll for credit in and repeat the same course in a subsequent quarter. Students are assessed full tuition for audited courses. Instructors may not compel auditors to write papers or take examinations, but may insist upon other course requirements. Instructors may request of the college dean that auditors be officially withdrawn from the course if these requirements are not met. Students receive neither credit nor grades for audited courses. Course participation requirements are set by the faculty member responsible for the course.

Concurrent Enrollment

Credit for work taken while simultaneously enrolled at CWU and other educational institutions may be transferred to Central. Any student who has obtained an F-1 visa from CWU must obtain permission from the Director of International Programs or designee prior to enrolling in any other institution.

The University Catalog: Choices and Limitations

The official electronic catalog (OEC) is the University's compilation for all curriculum

Undergraduate catalogs are valid for five years. A student should expect to complete General Education requirements as listed in the Online Electronic Catalog current at the time of first enrollment at either Central Washington University or a community college in the state of Washington (provided he or she transfers directly to CWU from the community college and has not attended another four year institution). The student should also expect to meet the specific requirements of the departments for majors and minors in the OEC current at the time he or she is accepted by the department into the major or minor program.

Graduate students admitted to the Master's degree program may use the catalog they are admitted under or the current one.

Withdrawal From a Course

A limited number of uncontested (peremptory) withdrawals from individual courses will be permitted from the sixth day of the quarter through the end of the sixth week of instruction according to the following schedule:

No. of credits earned at     No. of uncontested course
time of course withdrawal    withdrawals permitted

              0-44.9                            2
             45-89.9                            1
            90-134.9                            1
           135-179.9                            1
           180-224.9                            1
             etc.                               1

One uncontested withdrawal will be permitted for each 45 credits after 180 credits. This applies to all students regardless of enrollment classification.

Transfer credits will be included in the calculation for eligibility for uncontested withdrawal.

Peremptory withdrawals will be noted on the student's transcript with "+W". Unused withdrawal allocations will not be cumulative. Class rosters will reflect the +W for students who have used their peremptory withdrawal.

Withdrawals after the sixth week of instruction or when the allotted peremptory withdrawals have been used, will be granted only for reasons of hardship and then only upon written petition to and written approval by the Registrar. The student contact the course instructor and obtain the faculty member's signature on the hardship withdrawal petition. The signature serves merely to acknowledge the petition and implies neither support nor rejection of the request. The Registrar may consult with affected faculty when evaluating a petition and will notify the instructor if the hardship withdrawal has been approved. Hardship withdrawals will be noted on the student's transcript with an "HW" (hardship withdrawal). Hardship withdrawals from individual courses will not be permitted during or after the final examination period.

Conversions of incompletes to withdrawals must be petitioned as if they were hardship withdrawals, i.e., they may be effected only upon petition to the Registrar. Withdrawals will not be included in calculating grade point averages.

There are no tuition refunds in cases of withdrawal from individual courses.

Withdrawal From The University

A student may withdraw from the University for reasons of illness or other extenuating circumstances at any time prior to finals week. An official withdrawal form is available at the Academic Advising Center in SUB 211. A student may not withdraw from the University during finals week except with approval of the Registrar. A complete withdrawal from the University will be noted on the student's transcript with a "W." The registrar will notify affected faculty members when a student has withdrawn from the University. Students who plan to leave the University must complete the official withdrawal form. Failure to do so may result in failing grades. There is no refund of tuition and fees if total withdrawal occurs after the 30th calendar day of the beginning of the quarter. See refund policy for specific details.

Withdrawal From the University Due to Military Exigency

Students who have been called into military service of the United States due to a national emergency will be eligible for withdrawal from the University or the granting of credit. The policy does not apply to regular National Guard or Reserve duty or to annual active-duty requirements.

* Students who must withdraw from the University during the first third of the quarter will be granted Withdrawal (W).

* Students who must withdraw from the University during the second third of the quarter may request either a Withdrawal (W) or an Incomplete (I) in each course with no specified deadline for completion.

* Students who must withdraw from the University during the last third of the quarter may request a Withdrawal (W) or an Incomplete (I) or credit if the coursework is satisfactory. The instructors must report either a letter grade or a Satisfactory (S) for each course depending upon the quality of the student's work. If the courses complete all requirements for the baccalaureate degree, the degree will be awarded.

* Students who must withdraw from the University during the first or second third of their final quarter prior to graduation may be granted the baccalaureate degree upon the recommendation of the major Department Chair and of the college Dean.

* In all circumstances, students will be expected to attend classes up to 15 calendar days prior to induction.

Take the Next Step...