Skip to body


1998 - 1999 Graduate Studies and Research

Central Washington University provides quality graduate programs in selected fields, taught by a faculty committed to excellence in teaching and research. A hallmark of this University is to offer our graduate students:

  • Small classes
  • Opportunities to work closely with professors
  • An excellent learning environment
  • Low tuition
  • Hands-on research experience
  • An attractive setting in a friendly community

Table of Contents

Administration and Organization
General Information
Definition of a Graduate Student
Programs of Graduate Study
Graduate Certificate Programs
Application and Admission to Graduate Study

  • Admissions Information
  • Types of Admission
  • International Students
  • Applying to CWU
  • Deferred Admission

Assistantships and Financial Aid
Master's Degree Regulations

  • General Regulations
  • Graduate Level Credit
  • Undergraduate Level Credit
  • Transferring Credit to CWU
  • Credit-No Credit
  • Credits from Extension,Worskhops and Correspondence Activities
  • Academic Policies
  • Scholastic Standards
  • Student Study Load
  • Maximum Time Limit to Degree Completion
  • Continuous Registration
  • Graduate Committee
  • The Graduate Faculty
  • Course of Study
  • Individual Studies Programs
  • Credits Required
  • Culminating Experience
  • Thesis
  • Institutional Review Board Approval
  • Animal Care and Use Committee
  • Completing Degree Requirements
  • Project
  • Final Examination
  • Final Folder Evaluation
  • Final Quarter Enrollment
  • Advancement to Candidacy
  • Graduation
  • Second Master's Degree

Graduate Certificate Programs

  • Renewal of the Initial Taching Certificate and Conversion of Continuing Teaching Certificate
  • School Administration Certificates
  • Special Certificates
  • Master's Degree and Certification

Links to Graduate Programs and Courses

Administration and Organization

The Office of Graduate Studies and Research welcomes visits and inquiries from graduate students and prospective graduate students. Our staff is here to assist the academic community, both in the area of graduate studies as well as in the sphere of grants and sponsored research.

Dean: Duncan M. Perry
Associate Dean and Director of Sponsored Research: Raymond Z. Riznyk
Administrative Assistant: Julie Guggino
Office Assistant: Barbara Sisko

Admissions/Records and Graduation
Program Coordinator: Christie Fevergeon

Address: Barge Hall 305
Telephone: (509) 963-3103
Fax: (509) 963-1799

Web Site

Business hours: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Monday-Friday (Pacific Time), except holidays. If you call during non-business hours, be sure to let us know when and where to reach you and we will return your call as soon as possible.


General Information

The graduate experience at CWU is challenging, rewarding, and exciting. But, like every quality experience, it is subject to certain rules and policies to insure that high academic standards are maintained. Below, we present information about CWU's graduate programs. We seek to ensure that graduate students are fully apprised of the policies and procedures governing student progress. It is the responsibility of graduate students to familiarize themselves with these and the policies of the programs in which they are enrolled.

Central Washington University believes in equal educational and employment opportunity for all without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, marital status or any sensory physical or mental handicap.

Additional information concerning university policies and regulations applicable to graduate programs, including accreditation, institutional memberships, affirmative action, grading practices, mission and roles, and tuition and fees, will be found in various sections of this university bulletin. Please consult the Table of Contents or catalog index for further information.


Definition of a Graduate Student

A graduate student is anyone duly admitted to graduate study at CWU, who is officially enrolled in a graduate program here. Graduate programs offered include master's degree programs, fifth year and other certification programs, and non-degree study as a resident or visiting graduate student.


Programs of Graduate Study

Central Washington University offers the following graduate degrees and specializations:

Master of Arts
English: Literature
English Language Learning
English: Teaching Option
English: TESL/TEFL
Individual Studies
Theatre Production

Master of Arts for Teachers

Master of Education
Business and Marketing Education
Individual Studies
Master Teacher
Reading Specialist
School Counseling
School Psychology
Special Education
Supervision and Curriculum

Master of Fine Arts

Master of Music

Master of Science
Counseling Psychology
Experimental Psychology
Family and Consumer Sciences
Individual Studies
Organization Development
Physical Education, Health, and Leisure Studies
Resource Management

The following programs are on reserve status and are not accepting new students: M.Ed, Science Education; M.Ed., Social Science; M.S., Mathematics.


Graduate Certificate Programs

In addition to the degree programs available CWU offers the following graduate certificate programs. See Graduate Certificate Programs below for details.

Fifth Year of Study for Continuing Certificate
Renewal of Initial Certificate
Conversion to Continuing Certificate
Initial Principal's Certificate
Continuing Principal's Certificate
Initial Program Administrator Certificate
Continuing Program Administrator Certificate
Educational Staff Associate Certificate:
School Counselor
School Psychologist



Admissions Information
Central Washington University offers admission to applicants who have high potential for success in their chosen graduate disciplines. We seek to admit people with diverse backgrounds in order to enhance the learning environment for all students.

Admissions decisions are based upon a combination of factors. These include grade point average, letters of recommendation from professors or others able to critically assess an applicant's ability to succeed in a graduate program, a written statement of purpose, standardized test scores (if applicable), academic preparation for work in the proposed field, and the applicant's interests as matched with those of faculty.

Types of Admission CWU distinguishes three types of admission: Regular, Probationary, and Conditional.

To be eligible for Regular Admission, an applicant must have earned a bachelor's degree from a recognized four year college or university in the United States or the equivalent from an institution abroad. He/she must demonstrate, in the opinion of the faculty and the Dean of Graduate Studies and Research, the ability to successfully complete a master's degree, and must have achieved at least a 3.0 (B) average in all course work attempted during the last 90 quarter hours (60 semester hours) of study.

Applicants who do not meet the minimum admissions requirements, but who show promise of success in a graduate program, will be considered for admission. Such applicants may be admitted on probationary status, based on departmental recommendations and a favorable review by the Dean of Graduate Studies and Research. If admitted, the applicant is placed on probation for one quarter, during which time he/she must complete at least 10 credits of course work approved by the home department. A grade point average of 3.0 (B) or more is required. Upon meeting this requirement, and with the favorable recommendation of the department, the student will be fully admitted and allowed to continue toward candidacy for a degree. If the student is unable to achieve a 3.0 GPA, he/she will be dropped from the program.

An applicant may also be conditionally admitted to master's program when he/she they does not fully meet admission requirements. Typically such admittees lack certain field-related experiences and/or required background knowledge. An applicant may also be admitted to this category pending receipt of the official transcript(s) indicating completion of the bachelor's degree. A conditionally admitted student will achieve regular status when the condition has been satisfied and the admitting department recommends advancement to regular status.

International Applicant
In addition to the above requirements, all international applicants must complete the Application for International Students, obtainable from the Office of Admissions. If your native language is not English, you are required to submit one of the following: a) a TOEFL score of 550 or above; or b) a baccalaureate degree from an accredited U.S. university. If you are applying to any program in English, you must also take the Test of Written English (TWE). Applicants admitted to the program who score less than 5.0 will be required to enroll in English as a Second Language courses during their first quarter. You will also be be required to submit evidence that sufficient funding is available to you in U.S. currency through either personal resources or a sponsor for one academic year's experience at CWU.

Applying to CWU
CWU welcomes applications from all those who meet our minimum requirements for admission. To apply, obtain a set of our application materials from the

Office of Admissions
Central Washington University
400 East 8th Avenue
Ellensburg, Washington 98926-7463

Telephone: (509) 963-3001
Fax: (509) 963-3022

A completed application file consists of the following materials received by the Office of Admissions:

  1. A completed Admission Application.
  2. A written Statement of Objectives.
  3. Three (3) Letters of Recommendation written by professors or others capable of assessing your potential for success in a graduate program.
  4. Official Transcripts from all universities and colleges attended.
  5. Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores if required. GRE scores should be no more than five years old at the time of application.
  6. A non-refundable application fee of $35 payable at the time of filing application. Application fees may be paid by check, credit card (MasterCard and Visa only) or cash (please do not send cash through the mail). If you wish to pay by check, make it out to Central Washington University and send it, along with the other application materials, to the Admissions Office. If you prefer to pay by credit card, you may send us the card number and expiration date or telephone the Cashier's Office with this information (509-963-2224). Cash transactions should be made in person at the Cashier's Office, Barge Hall 104.

Application Deadlines
The deadlines for submitting all application materials are as follows:

April 1 for Summer and Fall Quarter
October 1 for Winter Quarter
January 1 for Spring Quarter

Deferred Admission
If a department and the Graduate School wish to admit an applicant to a program that has no space available for a particular quarter, a deferred admission may be offered. The quarter for which admission is deferred will be negotiated between the applicant and the department. If both agree, the applicant will be asked to accept or decline in writing the deferred admission which will be valid for up to one year from the term in which the person was to have matriculated. If the applicant agrees to defer admission, no new application or application fee will be required. He/she will be expected to pay the non-refundable matriculation fee of $55 and to obtain the concurrence of the home department and the Graduate Dean concerning the quarter in which he/she wishes to enroll.

An applicant who has been admitted to graduate study, but who wishes to defer matriculation to a subsequent quarter, may do so with the written authorization of the home department and the Graduate School's concurrence. Such a deferment will be valid for up to one year from the term in which the student was to have matriculated. If the department is unable or unwilling to provide this authorization, the applicant will be obliged to reapply for admission, paying the admission application fee and providing additional documents as needed.

Application for Certification and Non-Degree Study
The university offers those seeking professional credentials, but who do not wish to pursue a master's degree, the opportunity to become post-baccalaureate students. Applications for admission to this status may be obtained from the Office of Admissions. The form should be returned to the Office of Admissions to meet the appropriate deadlines cited.

Applicants for the Continuing Certificate must contact the Certification Office to organize an approved program.

Applicants for School Counseling or School Psychology programs leading to certification must also submit references and GRE scores. Admission procedures to these two certification programs are the same as for Master's program admission.

Assistantships and Financial Aid
Graduate assistantships are available to graduate students enrolled in degree programs in each of CWU's graduate departments. Graduate assistants render important service to the University, while at the same time gaining valuable experience in teaching, research or related activities and receiving a stipend which assists in financing graduate study. About two-thirds of the University's graduate assistants teach; the remainder serve as research assistants and a few perform university service functions. Stipend packages for the 1997-1998 academic year were valued at $10,697:


Stipend                $6,470
Tuition assistance      3,507 
Health Insurance          600
Heath Center Fee          120

Total                 $10,697

Non-resident graduate assistants are assessed tuition equivalent to a Washington state resident. The 1998-1999 full tuition for a resident of the State of Washington graduate student is $4,200 per academic year (excludes summer). Non-resident full tuition is $12,780 per academic year.

In a few cases summer assistantships are available. These pay between $1,496 and $2,993 depending upon the assignment. No fee waivers are available for the Summer Quarter.

For priority consideration, assistantship applications should be submitted by February 15, for the following academic year. Full-time assistantships require 20 hours of service per week and enrollment in at least 10, but not more than 14, credit hours per quarter with a minimum grade point average of 3.0 each quarter. Some departments offer assistantships requiring 10 hours of work per week. These carry no tuition waivers. A limited number of assistantships may be available during the summer session. Assistantship stipends are calculated with an understanding of the cost of living in Ellensburg.

Applicants for graduate assistantships must (1) be fully admitted to a master's degree program at the commencement of the contract period, (2) be recommended to the position by the department where the appointee would be assigned, and (3) demonstrate a high level of professional and academic promise.

Interested persons should contact the Office of Graduate Studies and Research for assistantship applications and information. All graduate assistantships are made through a formal written contract letter from the Dean of Graduate Studies and Research.

Financial aid is also available through the University from federal and state funds for students demonstrating financial need. Application for financial aid should be made directly to the University Financial Aid Office by March 1. Finally, employment opportunities, both on and off campus, are typically available.



General Regulations
The following are the general regulations governing master's degrees. Additional requirements established by specific departments and programs may be found in this catalog under the special headings of these units. Before a decision to enter into a particular graduate degree program is made, the student is urged to communicate directly with the department in order to determine the most current program requirements. The student is responsible for seeking academic advising in the department or program of the specialization chosen. The department can assist in many of the details necessary to completing program requirements, especially early in the student's program.

Please note that each graduate department is headed by a chair who is responsible for working with graduate students in developing individual Courses of Study, establishing graduate committees, and in advising graduate students. Some graduate departments also have a graduate coordinator. In such cases, graduate students are expected to work with this person as the program's chief officer for graduate affairs. In all matters relating to university regulations, the Graduate Dean is the final arbiter, though he/she consults with departmental officers in carrying out these duties.

Graduate Level Credit
Graduate level credit is given for all courses at CWU numbered at the 500 level and above. However, courses which are specifically numbered "500" are reserved for professional development courses and cannot be counted toward a master's degree.

Graduate courses numbered 501 and above are typically restricted to students who have earned a bachelor's degree and who have formally been admitted to a graduate program of the University. Some courses may also require competitive admission to a specific departmental graduate program.

Undergraduate Level Credit
Courses at the 100 and 200 level are not applicable to a master's degree at CWU. Under normal circumstances, courses numbered at the 300 level do not generate graduate credit. Courses at the 400 level may be accepted for credit towards a graduate degree at CWU provided that they are approved as part of the student's official Course of Study. In such cases, graduate students are expected to perform at a high level, while completing requirements additional to those expected of undergraduates enrolled in the course.

Transferring Credit To CWU
A maximum of nine (9) quarter credits or six (6) semester credits may be applied to the master's degree if 1) such credit was earned at accredited institutions which offer graduate degrees; 2) such credit was earned at CWU prior to admission to a master's degree program, or; 3) a combination of 1 and 2. In no case will more than a total of nine credits be transferred.

Credits used to fulfill requirements for another degree, either at CWU or elsewhere, will not be transferred. All credits intended for transfer must be approved as a part of the official Course of Study filed with Graduate Studies and Research. Credit from any non-accredited institution or accredited institution not approved for graduate study will not be accepted for transfer for application to an advanced degree. Credit obtained within the state of Washington from an accredited institution whose main campus is outside of the state will be considered for transfer only by special petition to the Dean of Graduate Studies and Research. The University reserves the right to determine the acceptability of transfer credit from any institution.

As a general practice, the only credits accepted in transfer are those that are a regular part of an accredited institution's graduate degree program. Credit for short courses, attendance at conferences, brokered courses, and pass-fail courses are normally not accepted in transfer.

Approval of transfer credit applicable to the master's degree shall be considered for inclusion as part of a graduate student's program only after the student files an official Course of Study and only after submission of official transcripts from the registrar of the institution from which the credit is to be transferred. Credit sought for transfer must be graded B or better and must have been completed no more than six years from the date of the student's program completion.

Credit-No Credit
Graduate students may take advantage of the credit-no credit option as a way to explore academic areas in which they are interested. Credit-no credit courses will not be counted toward master's degrees nor will they be computed in the graduate grade point average. Students are allowed to select one class per quarter for a credit-no credit grade. A student electing this option must designate a class as credit-no credit during registration or during change of schedule period. The credit-no credit option is distinct from courses graded on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory (S/U) basis (see S/U grading).

Credits from Extension, Workshops, and Correspondence Activity
Not more than a combined maximum of eight (8) credits of workshops and "Studies in" courses (591's) may be applied toward a master's degree. Courses numbered 491 and titled "Studies in" are not applicable to master's degree credit.

Credits earned in correspondence courses are not applicable to any master's degree.

Academic Policies
Scholastic Standards
Any graduate student in a master's program whose cumulative grade point average falls below 3.0 at the end of any quarter will be placed on academic probation for the next academic quarter. While on probation, a student may not hold a graduate assistantship. If, after one quarter of probation, the student fails to raise her/his cumulative grade point average to 3.0 or above, the student will be dropped from the University. Students may not receive a master's degree from Central Washington University if their cumulative grade point average is below 3.0.

The cumulative grade point average is calculated using all courses taken after admission into a graduate program, whether part of the approved Course of Study or not. Grades for all courses included on the Course of Study must average at least 3.0 (B). Credit will not be accepted for courses on the Course of Study in which a grade lower than "C" is earned.

Student Study Load
The normal course load for graduate students is 15 credits per quarter. Study loads above 16 and up to 20 credits may be approved by the chair or graduate coordinator of the department of the student's specialization. Loads above 20 credits are not normally permitted. Exceptions may be made only by the Graduate Dean.

Maximum Time Limit to Degree Completion
No credit earned more than six years before the date of the Master's degree award may be counted as part of the degree credit requirement except as may be approved by formal action by the Graduate Dean. This includes applicable work transferred from other institutions.

Master's degree students are expected to complete all requirements for the master's degree within six years from the date of first enrollment. Students seeking to interrupt their studies may do so with the approval of the chair or graduate coordinator of the home department, but must pay a non-refundable fee for registration as an On-leave Student. This fee covers four successive academic quarters beginning with fall quarter. While on-leave, graduate students retain library privileges. If a degree program is not completed during the six year period from the quarter for which a student was admitted, the student must reapply to the University. If readmitted, only those credits graded B or better and completed no more than six years from the date of the student's program completion may be counted toward the degree.

Continuous Registration
All master's degree students, including students in attendance only during Summer Quarter, must satisfy the continuous registration requirement each fall quarter to maintain active status. A master's degree student may register as a full-time, part-time or as an on-leave student to satisfy the requirement. Failure to maintain Continuous Registration will be taken by the University to signify the student's resignation from the program. Students who resign and later wish to resume study towards a degree must reapply for admission and complete all steps outlined for master's admission. Readmission cannot be guaranteed.

Graduate Committee
Every master's degree candidate must have a three-member graduate committee. In some departments, a student may choose her/his committee in consultation with an advisor; in others, the chair or graduate coordinator assigns graduate committees. In either case, the graduate student is expected to work with the department chair or graduate coordinator in forming her/his committee. The student must submit a Graduate Committee and Option Approval Form to the Graduate School for review. If approved, the committee becomes the student's official advisory committee. The thesis or non-thesis project advisor is the student's graduate committee chair and generally is a faculty member in the department of specialization.

Only a Regular Member of the Graduate Faculty may serve as chair of a graduate committee. Adjunct faculty may serve as committee members with the approval of the Graduate Dean.

The Graduate Faculty
At CWU graduate professors are teachers and mentors, as well as active researchers and artists. They blend instructional and research activities and in so doing afford our graduate students the benefit of state-of-the-art research and creative experience with personalized instruction.

Course of Study
All candidates must complete at least 45 credits (some programs require more credits) as outlined in an official Course of Study, endorsed by the department chair or graduate coordinator and the committee chair and filed with and approved by the Office of Graduate Studies and Research. The credit on the Course of Study must be separate and distinct from credit applied toward any other degree. Course of Study forms are available in the Graduate School office, Barge Hall 305.

The Course of Study should be filed before a graduate student has completed 25 quarter credits leading to the master's degree. No more than nine (9) quarter credits completed before the quarter of formal admission will be accepted on the official Course of Study for the master's degree, although the department and the Graduate School reserve the right to limit the use of such credit, or not count it at all. Graduate students are urged to discuss the counting of such credit as soon after being admitted as possible. An approved Course of Study must be on file with the Graduate School before the Graduate Committee and Option Approval form will be considered for approval.

The official Course of Study reflects the credit required to meet requirements for the master's degree. Unless revisions are approved by the department chair or graduate coordinator and the Graduate Dean, the student must complete satisfactorily or be currently enrolled for all credit specified before advancement to candidacy or before the degree award will be processed. Each graduate student, as part of degree requirements must complete a thesis, project and/or comprehensive examination (see below for information about culminating projects).

The student's graduate advisor or committee chair, in consultation with the department chair and/or graduate coordinator, works with the student in designing a program of study. Once agreed upon, the student prepares an official Course of Study form obtained from the Graduate School, which is then endorsed by the department chair or graduate coordinator, along with the student's committee chair. Upon receipt, the Graduate Dean reviews each Course of Study to ensure that it meets the minimum requirements of the institution.

Individual Studies Programs
Individual Studies degree programs are intended to allow highly motivated students to pursue an interdisciplinary course of study combining course work from more than one discipline, where no such formal master's degree program is in place. Individual Studies program proposals must show academic rigor, be programmatically coherent and intellectually sound. Final approval of such programs resides with the Graduate Dean.

Applicants seeking to pursue an Individual Studies degree must file a proposed Course of Study for planning purposes prior to formal admission to the individual studies program.

Credits Required
A graduate student must complete at least 45 quarter credits (some programs require more credits) in the 400, 500 and above credit level groups. At least 25 credits of the total required for the degree must be numbered 501 or above.

Some departments restrict the number of credits below the 500 level. Please consult the departmental listings in this catalog for specific additional credit level requirements.

At least 30 credits appearing on the Course of Study for the Master's degree must be on a graded scale (not S/U). Credit/no credit courses will not be counted toward a master's degree at CWU.

Culminating Experience
All students pursuing the master's degree must demonstrate their ability to communicate effectively in writing by satisfactorily completing one or more of the following: (a) a thesis, (b) a written report of a field study, internship, or creative project, and/or (c) a comprehensive written examination. In programs allowing the option, the student's graduate committee in the area of specialization will decide with the student whether to carry out (a), (b), and/or (c) above. A prospectus of the thesis, field study, internship or creative project must be approved by the student's committee before work begins. The report on the thesis, field study, internship or creative project must conform to standards described in Thesis Regulations which are available in the Office of Graduate Studies and Research.

A thesis is a written study prepared by the student that demonstrates her/his ability to conduct original, independent research. The thesis topic must be approved in its preliminary stages by the student's graduate committee, the chair of the department of specialization or graduate coordinator, and the Dean of Graduate Studies and Research. A form for certifying thesis completion is available in the Office of Graduate Study and Research.

The thesis must be prepared according to standards of format, style, typeface and paper quality, as outlined in Thesis Regulations available at the Office of Graduate Studies and Research. The graduate student is expected to work closely with the thesis advisor and thesis committee in the conception, design and execution of the thesis. Working with the thesis committee chair a graduate student will submit copies of the thesis to the committee at least two full weeks in advance of the final examination. Draft copy must be provided with sufficient lead time to allow faculty to review and critique it. It is very important that the student maintain close contact with committee members during thesis preparation. At the appointed time, the student will defend her/his work before the committee. The thesis defense grade will be assigned as either satisfactory or unsatisfactory. Jointly written theses are not permitted.

Approval of a thesis is a two stage process. First, if successfully defended, it must receive the written approval of all committee members. Second, it must be reviewed and approved by the Graduate School. If approved by the thesis committee, a thesis approval page and the thesis grade report should be signed by all members of the committee after required corrections, if any, are made. Once the graduate student has prepared the thesis in the format required by the Graduate School, and has double checked to insure that all style and format rules have been observed, he/she should submit the thesis for review to the Graduate School.

The thesis must include an abstract (150 words or less) described in "Thesis Regulations" available in the Office of Graduate Studies and Research. The original and two copies of the completed approved thesis, with pages in proper order, must be submitted to the Graduate Office and accepted for binding before the student will be cleared for graduation. An additional copy of the abstract, printed on thesis quality paper must also be submitted to the Graduate School.

The Graduate School and the student share in the cost of binding the thesis. Each student pays a binding fee that helps defray the cost of binding the original and two copies of the thesis. Thesis binding fees are $48 for three copies. Two copies are deposited in the library and one copy is given to the student. Students not wishing to retain a copy for themselves should submit the original copy plus one other in accordance with the above instructions. He/she will be assessed $32 in binding fees.

Graduate students whose research involves human subjects or verbetrate animals may not commence research without first obtaining clearance to do so from the Institutional Review Board (See Institutional Review Board or Animal Care and Use Committee below.)

Institutional Review Board Approval
Central Washington University is concerned that no research conducted at this institution by its faculty or its students expose people who participate as subjects to unreasonable risk to their health, general well-being, or privacy. Therefore student research projects which involve human subjects must be reviewed by the university's Institutional Review Board (IRB) for the Protection of Human Subjects. Students apply for IRB review by filling out a clearance form which can be obtained in the Graduate Office. No research can be initiated prior to formal approval.

Animal Care and Use Committee
Graduate students whose research involves vertebrate animal subjects, may not commence research without first obtaining clearance from the Animal Care and Use Committee. Forms for applying for review may be obtained in the Office of Graduate Studies and Research.

Several departments allow a student to complete a project, rather than a thesis. This is done in instances where the faculty and student determine that a special project, rather than a master's thesis, will strengthen the student's learning experience. Typically, projects are completed in professional programs.

Completing Degree Requirements
Final Examination
After the student has registered for courses which will complete the Course of Study, he/she must pass oral and/or written examinations covering courses, seminars and thesis, or such other examinations as necessary to complete degree requirements. A permission form authorizing the final examination will be issued by the Graduate Office after a final evaluation of the student's Program of Study has been completed and once the student has met the final quarter enrollment requirements.

At least two weeks prior to the final examination, four (4) copies of a "Brief" which will include information of previous degrees, the Course of Study, and biographical data, typed in the format described in Thesis Regulations available in the Office of Graduate Studies and Research, must be submitted to that office. Copies will be distributed to the student's graduate faculty committee prior to the examination. One copy will remain in the student's file.

For the final examination, an outside representative of the Graduate Faculty will routinely be assigned by the Dean of Graduate Studies and Research.

Final Folder Evaluation
All students must visit the Office of Graduate Studies and Research for a final review of their file no later than the first week of their anticipated final quarter. At this evaluation, candidacy requirements, grade point average, Course of Study completion, and examination scheduling will be processed. Advancement to candidacy and final examination scheduling will not be permitted except during the final quarter.

Final Quarter Enrollment Requirement
A student admitted to a master's degree program must be registered for a minimum of two (2) credits at the University during the quarter the master's degree is conferred. Enrollment for this purpose should be completed during the usual pre-registration or regular registration periods to insure degree conferral if requirements are met.

The permit for scheduling the final examination, approved by the committee, must be filed in the Office of Graduate Studies and Research at least three weeks in advance of the examination. The final examination must be scheduled between the hours of 7 a.m. and 6 p.m., Monday-Friday, when the University is in session (not between quarters). Final examinations are conducted by the candidate's committee and are open to the faculty. The committee alone shall decide upon the merit of the candidate's performance. Final assessment of the examination will be reported on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory basis. The candidate shall pass the examination if two-thirds of the official graduate faculty committee members so indicate. In the event of an unsatisfactory final examination, a second examination may be scheduled upon the endorsement of the major department chair and with the approval of the Dean of Graduate Studies and Research the subsequent quarter with at least two months intervening.

All degree requirements must be completed within the same or next quarter from the exam date. Failure to complete remaining requirements by the end of the next quarter will result in requiring the exam to be retaken.

A student whose name has been placed on the degree list for a particular quarter and who, nevertheless, does not complete the requirements for degree conferral by the published deadline (two weeks before the last day of finals), but who does complete all the requirements by the last day of that quarter, will receive the degree the following quarter without further registration.

Advancement to Candidacy
A student becomes eligible for advancement to candidacy for a master's degree upon fulfillment of the following requirements:

1. Completion of the course requirements as set forth in the Course of Study.

2. Completion of the thesis or thesis option where appropriate.

3. Attainment of a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 (B) or better for all courses taken since admission to the graduate program and all work included in the Course of Study.

4. Completion of additional departmental requirements, e.g., proficiency in a foreign language.

5. Fulfillment of the statute of time limitation (six years) requirement.

6. Passing of an oral and/or written examination covering courses, seminars, and thesis, or other examinations deemed necessary by the major department.

Application for a master's degree must be submitted to the Office of Graduate Studies and Research by the stated quarterly deadline. The application will not be completed without payment of binding and degree fees. The fee for the master's degree is $10 plus a $1 student benefit fee. The application is for a specific quarter of degree conferral. If requirements are not met, the student must reapply and pay the fees for degree conferral in a subsequent quarter.

Candidates for the master's degree are encouraged to participate in the commencement exercises following the completion of degree requirements. See the academic calendar in the front of this catalog for deadline dates to arrange for regalia.

Second Master's Degrees
Students seeking a second master's degree must be admitted to the second program in accordance with admission regulations and must complete an approved Course of Study (of at least 45 credits) distinct from the courses offered for the first master's degree.

Graduate Certificate Programs
In addition to the degree programs outlined above, the following graduate certificate programs are offered at the University. Application forms and further information can be obtained from the Office of the Associate Dean of Education and Professional Studies located in the Public Safety Building. The Certification Office is open daily, Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to noon and 1 to 5 p.m. General inquiries and information regarding the fifth year program and teacher certification should be addressed to the Director of Certification. The telephone number is (509) 963-2661.

Fifth Year of Study for Continuing Certificate
Renewal of Initial Certificate
Conversion to Continuing Certificate
Initial Principal's Certificate
Continuing Principal's Certificate
Initial Program Administrator
Continuing Program Administrator
Educational Staff Associate Certificate:
School Counselor
School Psychologist

Renewal of the Initial Teaching Certificate and Conversion to the Continuing Teaching Certificate
The initial certificate is valid for four years from the date of issuance and may be renewed once for a three-year period when the following requirements are met:

1. The individual completes an initial certificate renewal application which may be secured from the office of the Associate Dean of Education and Professional Studies in the Public Safety Building.

2. The individual has completed all coursework requirements for continuing certification or has completed at least 15 quarter hours of coursework since last certificate was issued.

Candidates for the continuing certificate must meet the following requirements:

1. Have a minimum of two endorsements on their teaching certificate.*

2. Verify at least one year of full time teaching experience.

3. Complete 45 credits of upper-division (300 level or higher) course work including courses in abuse, staff development and supervision, research and evaluation, and referral agencies.

In order to qualify for endorsement to teach in more than one specialization, students must meet the requirements for each specialization. Experienced teachers may petition the Curriculum and Supervision Department for permission to student teach for less than the normal 16 credits.

To maintain the continuing certificate, each person must complete 150 clock hours of approved inservice education and/or 15 college or University credits every five years.

Candidates for the continuing certificate shall have been granted at least two subject area endorsements. Subject area endorsements, with the exception of broad area subject area endorsements of English/language arts, science and social studies, require satisfactory completion of 24 credits in specified areas of studies. Broad subject endorsements require 45 credits.

School Administration Certificates
Central Washington University has been authorized by the State Board of Education to recommend issuance of initial and continuing principal's certificates valid for service as vice principal, assistant principal or principal of elementary, middle, junior high, and/or high schools. The University is also authorized to recommend issuance of the program administrator certificate as director of supervision and curriculum or special education. These programs of preparation include formal study and internship experiences. (See Master of Education, Administration, Special Education, or Supervision and Curriculum.)

Requirements for the Initial Certificate include:

1. Possession of a valid teacher or educational staff associate (whichever is appropriate) certificate.

2. Completion of the Master's degree.

3. If the Master's degree is already earned from an accredited institution, please check with the school administration program director regarding program requirements.

4. Successful teaching experience of 180 days in a state approved K-12 setting is required. Thirty days of the teaching experience must be within the same district and at the level for which certification is being sought.

5. One academic year as an administrative intern at the level for which certification is being sought.

Requirements for the Continuing Certificate include:

1. One year of full-time experience as a practicing administrator (for Continuing Principal Certificate, experience must be as principal, vice principal or assistant principal).

2. Must have completed all requirements for Initial Certificate.

Persons seeking further information are invited to correspond with the School Administration Program Director, Department of Teacher Education Programs.

Special Certificates
Preparation for special certificates, authorized by the State Board of Education, is available at Central Washington University. Programs leading to the educational staff associate certificate are available in the following areas: 1) school counselor, and 2) school psychologist.

Programs leading to certification in specific vocational areas are available in: 1) business education; 2) marketing education; 3) diversified occupations; 4) family and consumer sciences; and 5) trade and industrial (including health occupations and technical education.) For information regarding these programs, please contact the specific departments.

Applications for the school counselor or school psychologist ESA certificate can be obtained from the Psychology Department and are processed through the Office of the Associate Dean, College of Education and Professional Studies.

Those interested in other special certificates should contact the Washington State Director of Certification, Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction, Old Capital Building, PO Box 47200, Olympia, WA 98504-7200.

Master's Degree and Certification
Please note that a graduate student enrolled in a master's degree program does not necessarily satisfy all certification requirements by completing the master's degree. Students pursuing master's degrees in combination with certificate programs should maintain contact with the department of their specialization and with the office of the Director of Certification to ensure that all requirements are met.

Graduate Programs and Courses

Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.