Skip to body


College of the Sciences

Related Behavior Analysis: FAQ

HomeAboutCourseworkApplication InfoFacultyFAQ

Q: Will I be eligible for certification after graduation from the ABA program?

A: In order to be eligible for certification, the BACB requires that individuals complete an approved course sequence, a supervised fieldwork experience, and a certification exam. Our ABA program is approved by the BACB, so our students meet the coursework requirements outlined by the BACB for certification after graduation. The internship experience within the ABA program provides a portion of the supervised fieldwork hours needed for certification. Most of our students finish their fieldwork hours within 6-9 months following graduation, and then sit for the BCBA examination. Approval to sit for the BCBA examination is fully regulated by the Behavior Analyst Certification Board, Inc.®.

Q: Do you only accept students for admission in the Fall quarter?

A: Typically, students are only admitted for the Fall quarter. Please contact the program director for further information.

Q: Do you accept part-time students?

A: At times part-time students may be accepted. Please, contact the program director to discuss your situation.

Q: Do I need an undergraduate degree in psychology in order to be admitted to the ABA program?

A: An undergraduate degree in psychology is not required for admission to the ABA program. There are some prerequisite courses, but you can take these during the course of the ABA program if you are admitted. These prerequisites will not count toward the coursework for BCBA certification.

Q: I already have a master’s degree in a related field (Special Education, Psychology, Social Work). Can I enroll for the ABA coursework in order to obtain my BCBA certification without completing the full master’s program?

A: If you already hold a master’s degree, you may apply to complete the ABA coursework sequence as a post-baccalaureate student. The BACB determines the allowable fields in which a BCBA can hold a master’s degree. Master’s degrees in psychology, special education, and social work are usually permitted. The BACB is the only entity that can determine if a degree is permissible. Please contact the BACB to determine if your master’s degree is in an appropriate field.

Q: Is there an option to complete the ABA coursework online?

A: Although a small portion of the ABA coursework is offered in an online format, the ABA program in an on-campus degree program. Students must be physically present at Central Washington University in order to complete their courses.

Q: How long will it take me to complete the program and graduate?

A: The ABA program is a two-year master’s program. The first year focuses largely on coursework, and the second year includes internship and a thesis project.

Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.