Associate Professor of Psychology
Director, Experimental Psychology Masters Program
Ph.D., Psychology (Biopsychology emphasis), University of British Columbia
Office: 483 Psychology Building
ResearchGate Profile: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Kara_Gabriel
Courses Typically Taught at CWU
- Research Methods in Psychology
- Behavioral Neuroscience
- General experimental methodology and statistical expertise. As Director of the Masters in Experimental Psychology program, I have mentored and chaired undergraduate and graduate theses for students with a broad range of interests.
- Developmental behavioral psychopharmacology. Utilizing inbred and outbred mouse strains to assess the impact of early developmental manipulations on adolescent and adult responses to drugs.
- Determinants of risk-taking behavior. Examining risk-taking propensity in men and women.
- Gender differences in spatial ability. Assessing gender differences in spatial cue use, including the use of color in object memory and differences in distal and proximal cue use.
- Pringle, G., McDonald, M.P., & Gabriel, K.I. (In press). Patterns and perceptions of dextromethorphan use in adult members of an online dextromethorphan community. Journal of Psychoactive Drugs.
Pritchard, A.J., Sheeran, L.K., Gabriel, K.I., Li, J.-H., & Wagner, R.S. (2014). Behaviors that predict personality components in adult free-ranging Tibetan macaques Macaca thibetana. Current Zoology, 60(3), 362-372.
- James, J. R., & Gabriel, K. I. (2012). Student interpreters show encoding and recall differences for information in English and American Sign Language. Translation & Interpreting, 4(1), 21-37. http://trans-int.org/index.php/transint/article/view/141/95
- Gabriel, K. I., Rutledge, B. H., & Barkley, C. L. (2012). Attitudes on animal research predict acceptance of genetic modification technologies by university undergraduates. Society & Animals, 20(4), 381-400. http://booksandjournals.brillonline.com/content/15685306/20/4
- Felix, M. C., Parker, J. D., Lee, C., & Gabriel, K. I. (2011). Real three-dimensional objects: Effects on mental rotation. Perceptual and Motor Skills, 113, 38-50.
- Gabriel, K.I., Hong, S.M., Chandra, M., Lonborg, S.D., & Barkley, C.L. (2011). Gender differences in the effects of acute stress on spatial ability. Sex Roles, 64, 81-89.
- Gabriel, K.I., & Williamson, A. (2010). Framing alters risk-taking behavior on a modified Balloon Analogue Risk Task (BART) in a sex-specific manner. Psychological Reports, 107, 699-712.
- Gabriel, K.I., & Cunningham, C.L. (2008). The effect of maternal strain on ethanol responses in reciprocal F1 C57BL/6J and DBA/2J hybrid mice. Genes, Brain and Behavior, 7, 276-287.