The following information is for the 2015-2016 academic year and may change. Check the current graduate catalogue for the most up-to-date program information.
Students enrolled in the Masters of Experimental Psychology must complete the following coursework.
Prerequisites (or approved equivalents). These courses may be taken concurrently with certain program courses.
- PSY 300 - Research Methods in Psychology (5 Credits)
- PSY 362 - Introductory Statistics (5 Credits)
- PSY 363 - Intermediate Statistics and Research Methods (5 Credits)
Methods and Statistics Courses. Choose at least three of the four courses listed below:
- PSY 544 - Tests and Measurements (4 Credits)
- PSY 553 - Single-subject Design (3 Credits)
- PSY 555 - Design and Analysis for Applied Research (4 Credits)
- PSY 558 - Advanced Statistics (5 Credits)
Required Core Courses
- PSY 505 - Professional Development in Experimental Psychology (1 Credit per quarter but must be taken for the first three quarters in the program; 3 Credits total)
- PSY 510 – Instructional Strategies in the Behavioral Sciences (2 Credits)
- PSY 580 - Current Issues in Psychology (3 Credits)
- PSY 586 - Ethics in Research (3 Credits)
- PSY 595 - Graduate Research (3-10 Credits; Must be taken for a minimum of 3 credits)
- PSY 700E - Master's Thesis, Project Study, and/or Examination (6 Credits)
Electives in areas of concentration (selected in consultation with advisor). Must be approved by program director.
Elective courses can include (but are not limited to): Psychology of Reading (PSY 525); Evolutionary Psychology (PSY 542); Advanced Principles of Learning (PSY 562); Advanced Animal Behavior (PSY 565); Behavior Disorders and Psychopathology (PSY 584); as well as 400-level or graduate-level courses in the Departments of Biology, Primate Behavior, Sociology, Philosophy, or Law and Justice.
Students must present their research either at CWU’s annual on-campus Symposium Of University Research and Creative Expression (SOURCE) or at another conference or public forum. This requirement must be completed at least two weeks before the end of the quarter in which the student is graduating.
Total Credits: 45
Fillable Course of Study forms specific for the Masters of Experimental Psychology are available in "Forms" on the left-hand side menu.