Mental Health Counseling: Application Process


We usually accept eight students into the Mental Health Counseling program (all of whom start in the fall). Our admissions decisions are based on a composite of criteria applied to all of the credentials presented in your application.  We do not use absolute minimum scores ("cutoffs") to make admissions decisions. However, those students with GRE scores at or above the 50th percentile and a GPA of at least 3.0 in the bachelor's degree are especially encouraged to apply.

  • Students must have a baccalaureate degree (in any field). In addition, coursework equivalent to PSY 363 (Introductory Statistics) and PSY 363 (Intermediate Statistics and Research Methods) are prerequisites. Students who have not completed PSY 363 (or an equivalent) must take the course as a part of the graduate program of study.
  • All applicants must submit official transcripts from their undergraduate institution(s).
  • All applicants must submit official scores for the General Aptitude Test of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
  • All applicants must arrange for three letters of reference
  • All applicants must submit a resume or CV
  • All applicants must submit a personal statement that identifies the student's interest in pursuing graduate study in Mental Health Counseling (see details below).

​The application deadline for Fall admission is February 1.

Applicants who are interested in applying for an assistantship are encouraged to complete and submit their application materials to the Graduate School prior to the February 1 deadline. Applications submitted after this date will be actively considered if space in the program is still available.

Step 1) Complete the Graduate School's application form and pay the application fee of $50. Checks should be sent to the School of Graduate Studies and Research at the address given in step number 2 and NOT to the Psychology department.

Part of that application is your personal statement. Please address the following three questions when you write your personal statement:

  1. ​Why do you want to become a counselor?
  2. What strengths and weaknesses do you have that will impact your ability to become a counselor?
  3. What are your long-term goals?

​Your personal statement should be 500 words (two pages, double spaced).

In addition, please submit your resume or CV as part of your application.

Step 2) Have your official GRE score report and official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate credits from each university previously attended sent directly to the School of Graduate Studies and Research from the issuing institutions. The ETS Institution Code number to use for sending GRE scores to Central Washington University is 4044. The address to which transcripts should be sent is:

School of Graduate Studies and Research
Central Washington University
400 East University Way
Ellensburg, WA 98926-7510

Step 3) Three letters of recommendation must be included in your application to the School of Graduate Studies and Research. The university supplies a standard form for recommendations. It is wise to have at least one (preferably at least two) letters from academic references.

Selection Procedure: Review of applications will begin in February and will continue until the available openings for the next class are filled. We encourage applicants to complete their applications by the February 1 deadline, although applications received after this data will be actively considered until all openings are filled.

Applicants who advance through an initial screening will be invited to a mandatory interview on a specified interview Friday (in late February or early March). We will begin to make offers to prospective students soon after the interview date, by mid-March.

Financial Aid: For Federal Financial Aid information (e.g., student loans), contact Central Washington University's Financial Aid office at 509-963-1611.

Graduate Assistantships: Currently, a limited number of graduate assistantships are available for qualified students. These assistantships offer a monthly stipend and a tuition waiver. Those interested in assistantships may download the application.

Catalog: The Central Washington University Catalog is available electronically. The Graduate Catalog is posted separately from the Undergraduate Catalog.