Skip to body


Mental Health Counseling: Application Process


Step one: We usually accept eight students into mental health (all of whom start in the fall). This additional work can be completed in two-three additional quarters. To be admitted into the program, students must apply to the graduate and be reviewed by the department's Graduate Admissions Committee.

Although we hope the below information is helpful, the Graduate Catalog is the authoritative guide on this topic.  What you will need:

  1. A personal statement,
  2. Three letters of reference,
  3. Graduate Records Examination scores, and
  4. Undergraduate transcripts.

Please use your GPA from the last 90 hours of undergraduate work. Applicants are screened by GPA (usually requiring 3.0 or higher), GRE (preference given for scores of 291 or higher), and their fit for the program. We are looking for applicants who will contribute to the diversity of their cohort, have the background and experiences appropriate for a future counselor, and appear well suited to the training program. Transfer students may bring total of 15 graduate quarter credits toward a CWU master's degree. Of which, no more than 9 quarter credits (6 semester credits) may come from another accredited institution(s).International students must receive one of the following scores from the TOEFL: 550 on paper version, 213 on computer version, or 79 on internet version. Students seeking exemption from a departmental requirement based on completion of similar graduate work elsewhere discuss this with departmental faculty after enrolling. Where appropriate, the faculty will determine whether earlier graduate work may be substituted for Central Washington University departmental requirements.

Step two: Start the application process. You will need a "personal statement," letters of reference, GRE scores, and official transcripts.  Click here when you are ready to apply. There is a fee associated with applying. Offers will be made starting the first week of March and will continue until the available openings for the next class are filled. Applicants are therefore encouraged to complete their applications by February 1, although applications received after this date will be actively considered.

Step three: Gather your references. Three letters of recommendation must be included in your application to the Graduate School. The university supplies a standard form for recommendations. It is wise to have at least one (preferably at least two) from academic references.

Step four: Consider an Assistantship or Financial Aid. Those interested in assistantships may download the application. Currently, a limited number of research and teaching assistantships are available for qualified students. These assistantships offer a monthly stipend and a tuition waiver. For Federal Financial Aid information (e.g., student loans), contact Central Washington University's Financial Aid Office at 509-963-1611. Catalog: The Central Washington University Catalog may be obtained from the Admissions Office (509-963-2194) or you may access the Catalog and other Graduate School documents via their web page.

Step four: Find a Place to Live. Many of our students rent apartments or houses. (You can find a partial listing of such opportunities from the Daily Record Newspaper). Some students share rent or rent rooms. For students wanting to live on campus, please contact the University Housing Office.