Skip to body


College of the Sciences
Give to Psychology

Seeing the Light
Wins Govenor's Award
seeing the ligh wins governor's award

Lessons from the Zombie Brain
Lessions for the zombie brain video


Contact Us

Psychology Department
Phone: 509-963-2381

Experimental Psychology: Application Info

Home About Coursework Application Info Faculty Program Documents Our Students

Admission Requirements

Our admission decisions are based on a composite of criteria.  We do not use absolute minimum scores ("cutoffs") to make admissions decisions.  However, students with a GPA of at least 3.0 in the bachelor's degree are especially encouraged to apply.

  • Students must have a baccalaureate degree (in any field).  Depending on the specific background of the individual and his/her career goals, additional undergraduate level work may be required (e.g., Research Methods, Introduction to Statistics, and Intermediate Statistics and Research Methods).
  • All applicants must submit official transcripts from their undergraduate institution(s).  
  • All applicants must arrange for three letters of reference.
  • All applicants must submit a personal statement that identifies the student's interest in an area related to Experimental Psychology.  Students should also indicate those program faculty who they would like to have as a mentor.

Applicants who are interested in applying for an assistantship are encouraged to complete and submit their application materials to the Graduate School prior to the February deadline.  Applications submitted after this date will be actively considered if space in the program is still available.

Applications are due by February 1st.

To apply for admission to the Master's Program in Experimental Psychology:

Go to the School of Graduate Studies and Research webpage at

Procedure: Review of applications begins in February and continues until the available openings for the next class are filled. 

Financial Aid: For Federal Financial Aid information (e.g., student loans), contact Central Washington University's Financial Aid office at 509-963-1611.

Graduate assistantships: Currently, a limited number of graduate assistantships are available for qualified students. These assistantships offer a monthly stipend and a tuition waiver. Assistantships are awarded to students who are beginning in the fall quarter only. 

Catalog: The Central Washington University Catalog may be obtained from the Admissions Office (509-963-2194) or you may access the Catalog and other Graduate School documents via their web page.

Previous Graduate Work: Students seeking exemption from a departmental requirement based on completion of similar graduate work elsewhere discuss this with departmental faculty after enrolling. Where appropriate, the faculty will determine whether earlier graduate work may be substituted for Central Washington University departmental requirements.

Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.