Sexual assault, including date/acquaintance rape, is a very serious concern of this Police Department. If you feel you are a victim of a sexual assault on campus, the Department of Public Safety and Police Services will guarantee the following:
1. We will meet with you privately, at a time and local place of your choice, to take your report.
2. We cannot and will not notify your parents without your consent.
3. We will treat you and your particular case with courtesy, sensitivity, dignity, understanding and professionalism.
4. Our officers will not prejudge you, and you will not be blamed for what occurred.
5. We will assist you in arranging for any necessary hospital treatment or other medical needs. We will also assist in emergency housing if needed.
6. If you would feel more comfortable talking with a friend or advocate of your choice present, we will do our best to accommodate your request.
7. We will fully investigate your case, and will help you to achieve the best outcome. This may involve the arrest and full prosecution of the suspect responsible. You will be kept up-to-date on the progress of the investigation and/or prosecution.
8. We will assist you in privately contacting counseling and other available resources.
9. We will continue to be available to answer your questions, to explain the system and process involved (prosecutor, courts, etc.), and to be a listening ear if you wish.
10. We will consider your case seriously, regardless of your gender or the gender or status of the suspect.
If you feel you are a victim of sexual assault, call the Department of Public Safety and Police Services at 925-8534 (any time of day or night), to privately make a complaint.
Endorsed by: The Empowerment Center 963-2127; Student Health and Counseling 963-1881; ASPEN 925-9384.