Skip to body


Student Research

Undergraduate research is an essential component of a CWU education in the natural sciences. All physics majors (including B.S., B.A., and Dual Degree) must complete at least two credits of PHYS 495 (Undergraduate Research). The experience of conducting research provides students with a significant boost in the skills needed to succeed in graduate school and in the workplace.

Physics students at CWU work closely with their faculty advisors in all phases of the research process: planning and proposing the project; setting up and calibrating equipment; recording and analyzing data; and disseminating the results. All students are strongly encouraged to present the results of their research at the annual CWU Symposium On University Research and Creative Expression (SOURCE). Students who have done exceptional work may also publish in a peer-reviewed journal.


Funding for Student Research

Central Washington University offers several modes of financial support for undergraduates who conduct research.

Program nameType of supportEligibility
Office of Undergraduate Researchequipment and travelall CWU students
College of the Sciences (COTS)equipmentall students with a major in COTS
COTS Summer Undergraduate Research Experiencesummer stipend and equipmentmost science majors; must apply junior year
McNair Programsummer stipend/travelminority or first-generation students who plan to obtain Ph.D.
STEP Bridging Programstipend and equipmentnew transfer student majoring in science, math, or engineering


Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.