Skip to body


College of the Sciences
Give to Physics

Contact Us

Department of Physics
(509) 963-2727

Follow Us

Science Spectacle

Declaring a Physics Major

We have several distinct career-focused degree tracks including the Physics BS, Physics BA, Physics BS with Biophysics Specialization, and the Physics/Engineering Dual Degree Program. Explore our website to learn more about each of these majors, and please contact if you would like to meet with a faculty member or advisor to learn more. 

Once you decide on a degree track, you can declare a Physics Major by going online and following these steps: 

  • Go to -> Student (center tab) - > Records (left hand menu) -> Request to Apply/Drop major/minor.
  • When filling out the form, you will be asked for a program code. The program codes for each of our major programs are:
    • PHYSBA – Physics BA major
    • PHYSBS – Physics BS major. If you select the Physics BS major, you will also be asked for a specialization code. The codes are: 
      • BIOP – Biophysics Specialization (Select this option for a degree track that emphasizes biological and medical applications of physics). 
      • GEPH – General program (This is the option to select for a standard Physics B.S. degree, or if you would like to participate in the Physics/Engineering Dual Degree program). 

Academic Advising in Physics 

Once you become a Physics Major, you may wonder who to go to if you have questions about Physics classes, registration, career advice and more. Here is a basic overview of how academic advising works in our department:  

  • Eva Whitsett is the Academic Advisor for all Physics Majors and Pre-majors. She will help you develop your academic plan so that you know which classes to take each quarter to stay on track toward your degree. She can also connect you with university resources if you are experiencing academic or life challenges. To schedule a meeting with Eva, you can email her at:
  • Each Physics Major is also assigned a Physics Faculty Mentor. You will find one of the Physics faculty members included in your advising list in MyCWU. The Faculty Mentor is a person you can go to for career advice, questions about physics electives, and any other questions related to your physics studies or career goals. You are always welcome to contact any Physics faculty member to talk about these things, but the Faculty Mentor is a good starting place if you are not sure who to contact.

Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.