Office: Purser Hall 130
Phone: (509) 963-2265
- PhD. Sport Ethics, University of Idaho, 2009
- M.S. Sport Administration, University of Kansas, 2002
- B.S. Business-Marketing, Montana State University-Bozeman, 1999
About Dr. Van Mullem
Dr. Van Mullem received his doctorate in Sport Ethics from the University of Idaho. He joined the PESPH faculty in the fall of 2011 after two years at St. Cloud State University (MN), where he coordinated the graduate program in sport management and taught courses in the graduate and undergraduate sport management programs. Dr. Van Mullem’s scholarly interests include coaching education and ethical sport leadership. Previously, he spent over 14 years in coaching and athletic administrative positions at the junior high, high school, small college, NCAA Division II and Division I level.
HPE – Athletic Administration
- Technology Applications in Health Physical Education and Sport
- Statistics in Health Physical Education
- Research Methods
- Leadership and Decision Making in Interscholastic Sports
- Professional Development and Mentoring in Athletics
PE – Physical Education
- Foundations of Coaching
- Coaching and Competitive Ethics
- Psychological and Sociological Foundations of Coaching
- Van Mullem, P. and Stoll, S.K. (2012). The impact of reflection on ethical decision making for sport leaders. Journal of Contemporary Athletics. 6(4).
- Van Mullem, P. (2011). Coaching education: Learning to become a coach. Western Society Review (9th Ed.).
- Van Mullem, P. (2009). Developing leaders: Impact of online intervention programs in intercollegiate athletics. Monograph Series: Dr. Arthur Broten Young Scholars Program. Western Society for Kinesiology and Wellness. V17.
- Van Mullem, P., Stoll, S.K., and Van Mullem, H. (2012-accepted). “Teaching Sport Ethics: One Perspective.” National NASSM Conference, Seattle, WA.
- Van Mullem, P., and Van Mullem, H. (2012-accepted). “Coaching Education: How Winning Coaches Learn to Coach.” National AAHPERD Convention, Boston, MA. Conference cancelled due to power outage.
- Van Mullem, P., and Van Mullem, H. (2011). “Coaching Education: Learning to Become a Coach: Past, Present, and Future.” National AAHPERD Convention, San Diego, CA.
- Van Mullem, P., and Stoll, S. (2011). “Sport Leadership, Developing a Successful Philosophy.” National AAHPERD Convention, San Diego, CA.
- Van Mullem, P., and Stoll, S. (2010). “Assisting Sport Managers in Making Ethical Decision through a Proven Online Course.” NASSM National Conference, Tampa, FL.
- Van Mullem, P., Stoll, S., and Beller, J. (2010). “Effects of an Online Moral Reasoning Intervention on Coaches.” Research Consortium – Free Communication Session, National AAHPERD Convention, Indianapolis, IN.
- Van Mullem, P., Brunner, D., and Stoll, S. (2008). “Practical Application for Teaching Character through Sport.” AAHPERD National Convention, Fort Worth, TX.