Skip to body

Department of Physical Education, School and Public Health

Athletic Administration--FAQs

Q.  Is this degree the same as a “sports management” degree?

A.  No, this degree prepares students for careers as athletic directors in public and private interscholastic and intercollegiate institutions.  However, many of the principles of leadership and management will apply to careers in professional and public sports management organizations.

Q.  Will I be able to attain a job as an athletic director with this degree?

A.  This program prepares students for careers as athletic directors.  However, institutions and organizations often require certain levels of experience and certification for prospective candidates.  This degree will prepare you to move along the athletic administration career path from the point at which you begin.  It also can assist you in acquiring positions such as an assistant athletic administrator or events manager, or activities coordinator in interscholastic or intercollegiate programs.

Q.  I am currently a “recreation supervisor” for a city park and recreation department.  Will your degree be beneficial to my career in parks and recreation?

A.  Though our program prepares students to become high-school and college athletic administrators, many of the principles of leadership and management apply to careers in public sports and recreational management.

Q.  Where can I find out more about the program?

A.  Visit the CWU/PESPH Website:

Q.  Can I finish this program in less than two years?

A.  No, the curriculum is designed in an optimal sequence for acquiring and applying knowledge and understanding to various roles and projects each student will participate in and complete.  Each quarter’s courses are followed in logical sequence by the next course in the sequence.  The program will take two years to complete.

Q.  Will I have to pay out-of-state tuition?

A.  All students in the program, regardless of where they live, pay the in-state tuition rate.

Q. What if I want to change my graduate major?  Can I apply my current coursework to the CWU AA Program?

A.  The CWU Graduate School allows graduate students to transfer up to six credits into a current graduate program.  Transfer credits are reviewed on a case-by-case basis, and determination is made regarding the course content and program requirements. 

Q. How much will books cost each quarter?

A.  At this time, course texts are averaging approximately $90 per quarter.

Q.  When can I begin my cooperative experience?

A.  Most cooperative experiences are scheduled for winter quarter of the second year of the cohort.  However, to meet special needs and considerations, and with proper planning, we can accommodate a cooperative experience any quarter during the second year.

Q.  If I am currently an athletic administrator, how does the cooperative experience work?

A.  The cooperative experience for the practicing AD or school administrator consists of designing and completing an “action research project” or “action plan” that addresses a current issue in your program.  This plan or project must be a “new” action you have decided to take to address a current issue in your program.  The project or plan will be verified by your building or district supervisor.

Q.  Are graduate assistantships available?

A.  Yes.  Each year a small number of assistantships are available.  Application for an assistantship is required prior to the graduate-school application deadline.  Graduate assistantships are chosen in the spring quarter prior to the first summer of the program.  Please contact us for further information.