Skip to body

Parking Services

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Is CWU a safe place to park?

A: By exercising the proper precautions, the CWU campus is a safe place to park. These safeguards help prevent theft and vandalism to vehicles on campus:

  • Locking all doors when leaving a vehicle
  • Closing all windows and sunroofs
  • Removing all valuables from sight or from the vehicle
  • Removing the detachable car stereo face from vehicles (when applicable)

[Back to the Top]

Q: Where can I park and why can't I ever find a place to park?

A: As you might expect, those spots closest to the campus core are often filled early in the morning, leaving the outlying areas as the best options to find additional parking. The free lots usually have open spaces even at peak hours.

No permit required in:
  • X-22 located on the SW corner of 18th & Alder Street (24 HOUR PARKING OK)
  • X-23 located on the SE corner of 18th & Alder Street (No parking 2am-6am)
  • X-24 located on E 18th St next to the Challenge Course (No parking 2am-6am)

The only free parking available off campus is on those city streets outside the Residential Parking Zones (RPZ).

All other parking in University lots is by permit only and generally enforced 7:30 A.M. to 4:30 P.M., Monday through Friday. Within certain lots some spaces are posted and enforced 24 hours per day, seven days per week. These spaces include timed parking and disabled parking areas.

[Back to the Top]

Q: I received a ticket. How do I pay for it? Can I appeal it?

A: You may mail in your payment using the envelope you received with your ticket or pay in person at the Cashiers Office weekdays between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Please bring the ticket with you. See the paying for a citation section for more information

If you believe you did not commit the infraction, you may contest the fine by completing an appeal form within 15 calendar days from the date of the infraction. Appeal forms can be filled out online from our website. If you pay for a ticket, you forfeit the right to appeal it. Please do not ignore parking tickets because late charges accrue on all unpaid tickets.

[Back to the Top]

Q: What is the price of parking permits?

A: Please visit the permit prices section on the parking home page for current prices.

[Back to the Top]

Q: Why do I have to pay for parking when I already pay for tuition and fees?

A: Parking Operations are funded by parking fines and the sale of parking permits. No tuition or other state money is used for the maintenance and operation of CWU's parking program.

[Back to the Top]

Q: What do I do if I lock my keys in my car (or my car won't start)?

A: Between the hours of 8:00AM to 5:00PM Monday through Friday, contact University Police and Public Safety at (509) 963-2959. Any other time, contact KITTCOM at (509) 925-8534. An officer will be sent to help you as soon as circumstances permit. This service is available only if you are parked on campus and it is provided free of charge.  

[Back to the Top]

Q: Where can motorcycles, mopeds, and bicycles park?

A: Motorcycles and mopeds with permits can park in any spaces designated for motorcycles only. Those with valid staff permits may also park motorcycles in any car space if the designated motorcycle spaces are full. Those with valid student permits may park their motorcycles in general car spaces if designated motorcycle spaces are full. Bicycles must be parked in bike racks. At times, bike rack space may not be available and parking near the racks is permitted provided the parked bicycles do not interfere with pedestrian traffic.

[Back to the Top]

Q: Can I get a refund on my parking permit?

A: A full parking permit refund is obtainable only within the first seven calendar days of the period for which the permit is valid. Refunds are authorized by the Parking Office only under the following conditions:

  • Student teaching or other off-campus programs
  • Withdrawl from the University
  • Termination of employment

The parking permit must be surrendered upon application for a refund. Refunds will not be made for daily or scratch-off permits.

[Back to the Top]

Q: Does my state disabled parking permit allow me to park anywhere on campus?

A: No, you must still follow CWU Parking and Traffic Regulations. You must have a valid CWU parking permit in addition to a state issued disabled parking license plate, state issued disabled permit, or a CWU disabled permit. This will allow you to park in reserved disabled spaces (or regular parking spaces if no disabled spaces are open). You may not park in service drives or reserved areas other than disabled parking. If you have any questions, please call Disability Support Services at (509) 963-2171 or the Parking Office at (509) 963-2667.

[Back to the Top]

Q: What if my permit is lost or stolen?

A: Lost or stolen parking permits must be reported to Parking Services. Upon verification, the permit may be replaced for a $10.00 processing fee. If you find your old permit at a later date, you MUST return it to the Parking Office. Use of a permit after it has been reported as lost, stolen, destroyed, etc., is subject to a $300 parking infraction.

[Back to the Top]

Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.