June 10-14, 2013
Central Washington University
Presented by the Wilderness Medical Training Center
Sponsored by Central Washington University’s (CWU) Outdoor Pursuits and Rentals
- This course is open to both the general public and the campus community.
- This course is being offered in a Distance Learning format which means that there will be two sections to the course. SECTION ONE will include study sessions and online exams which must be passed before advancing into section two. SECTION TWO will include five days of practical lab work.
- This is a Wilderness First Responder (WFR) and Wilderness EMT (WEMT) course being offered congruently. WEMT Participants must have a current EMT certification prior to the time of completion of this course. WEMT participants will be asked to perform extra skills during the practical lab sessions.
Course Dates and Times:
- For all campus participants (anyone living in Ellensburg), you are required to attend a pre-course meeting on May 8th at 6pm in the Outdoor Pursuit and Rentals (OPR) shop.
- For all off campus participants (anyone living outside of Ellensburg), you will be sent all didactic study packets along with detailed instructions for the on-line testing portions of the course.
- Course Starts – 8 A.M. on June 10th. Meet at Outdoor Pursuits (see below for directions)
- Daily times – the course schedule will vary throughout the course. Generally class will start at 9 AM and finish around 6 PM with a quick break for lunch.
- Central Student
- Early registration (before May 1st- $500
- After May 1st- $600
- Open Registration
- Early registration- $550
- After May 1st- $650
- WFR Registration Form and course syllabus
- Payment accepted via credit card in person or over the phone, check (payable to Central Washington University) or cash.
- Please send or fax the registration form or drop by Outdoor Pursuits and Rentals to pay.
Lyman Howard III
Outdoor Pursuits and Rentals
400 E University Way
Ellensburg, WA 98926
This course takes place on CWU’s Ellensburg campus. Transportation will be provided from CWU if scenarios are held off campus. Class will be held at Outdoor Pursuits and Rentals. See bottom for map and directions.
This is a Distance Learning Project (DLP) course which is hosted by Central Washington University’s Outdoor Pursuits and Rentals (OPR) Program. DLP courses are rigorous and require your full attendance and participation. Think of this course as taking a traditional WFR/WEMT course and breaking it into two separate sections.
Online Study of Didactic Materials:
You must successfully complete all didactic material and online testing prior to attending the onsite practical section; if for any reason what-so-ever you are unable to complete all the didactic material and online tests prior to the start of the practical session, you will not be admitted to the practical session nor will you receive a refund. For on-campus participants, three classroom sessions will be scheduled to assist delivery and understanding of didactic materials. For off campus participants, all materials will be mailed to you and it will be your responsibility to complete all exams prior to the five day practical session.Section Two:
Five Day On-Site Practical Session:
The five day practical session will be hosted on Central Washington University’s campus. Class time during the onsite practical session may exceed ten hours per day plus homework. You should be comfortable reading technical information, be able to write clearly, be able to communicate easily with other people, be physically capable of lifting and carrying other people, and be capable of lifting and moving 50 pounds without injury and moving safely in the outdoors in rough terrain and environments without supervision. You are expected to bring functional outdoor clothing that will protect you from the environment while participating in simulations. During simulations, skills practice, and some demonstrations you will be acting as a patient and as a rescuer; this requires you to touch and be touched by others during a patient exam and subsequent treatment.
Necessary Personal Equipment:
- Cut-able clothing for scenarios:
- 2 t-shirts
- 2 long sleeved shirts
- 2 pair of long pants
- a pair of heavy socks
- Students must wear underwear or swimsuit and jog bras for women.
- DO NOT short this list! ALL the listed clothing IS REQUIRED for effective practice during simulations and labs. Clothing can usually be purchased at your local thrift store.
- Warm clothing for daily outside simulations: rain gear - top & bottoms, fleece jackets, long underwear - top and bottoms, waterproof hiking boots, warm hat, gloves, water bottle, headlamp, daypack. Older clothes are recommended. You may have fake blood, mud, dirt, or sand ground into any of the clothes you wear.
- Writing utensils and notebook
- Water bottle
- colored pencils or markers can be helpful
Food: Food will not be provided as a part of the course.
- Lunches: Bring brown bag lunches- There will not be enough time to eat off-campus.
- Snacks: Bring lots.
Take I-90 East to Ellensburg, exit #106. Follow the arterial to CWU, which will be on your left. Turn left on to Alder (next to Dairy Queen) and then left onto 11th Ave. The parking lot will be on the left hand side (parking lots are starred below).
Take I-90 West to Ellensburg, exit #109. Make a right off the exit ramp and follow Canyon Road/Main Street to University Way. Turn right on University Way. Follow University way to Alder. Turn left on to Alder (next to Dairy Queen) and then left onto 11th Ave. The parking lot will be on the left hand side (parking lots are starred below).
Take I-82 North to I-90 West. Take the first exit #109. Make a right off the exit ramp and follow Canyon Road/Main Street to University Way. Turn right on University Way. Follow University Way to Alder. Turn left on to Alder (next to Dairy Queen) and then left onto 11th Ave. The parking lot will be on the left hand side (parking lots are starred below).
Take U.S. 97 South over Blewett pass and follow signs to Ellensburg. Continue straight along Highway 10, make a right on Reecer Creek Rd, then a left at the next stop sign which will put you on University Way. Follow arterial to CWU. Turn left on to Alder (next to Dairy Queen) and then left onto 11th Ave. The parking lot will be on the left hand side (parking lots are starred below).