Step 1: Learn About Blackboard
View resources to answer your questions and help you develop an online course
Step 2: Getting Your Blackboard Course Ready
CWU will provide a Blackboard course shell (Blackboard class web site) for every class offered. Instructors who have completed the Introduction to Blackboard training session are able to activate their course shells and have options as to how their courses are set up in Blackboard.
MAKING YOUR CLASS SHELLS AVAILABLE
A Blackboard Course Shell is a class section for the current quarter that is created by an automated process. Initially an empty Course Shell has no content but contains currently enrolled students. Shells will be available sometime toward the end of the preceding quarter. You will want to make your Course Shells available to students.
- Course Availability: All Course Shells are created in an "unavailable" state. Follow these steps to learn how to make a course available.
- The Course ID for Class Shells conforms with the following convention: ENG101.001_1106, indicating the department abbreviation, course number, section and the term code.
REQUESTING A MASTER COURSE
Additionally, each faculty member can request that a Master Course be created from the Blackboard System Administrator at any time. A Master Course is often used to develop and archive course material within Blackboard. (Note: only Master Courses are archived indefinitely.)
- A Master Course may be for an individual instructor, program with shared curriculum, a CWU committee, department, campus, or organization. It is recommended that each course you teach have a course master. So, if you teach ENG101 you will have one master course, even if you teach 2 sections in the same quarter of the same course. Please refer to About Blackboard Classes
- A Master Course contains quarter to quarter content that can be copied to your Course Shells, or with approval, to other instructors.
- The master course ID format will be the department abbreviation and number set off by a period and followed by the the instructors first and last initials, followed by an underscore and the word "master" (ex. ENG101.CS_MASTER). Blackboard System Administration requires that instructors verify the information of their course site request, including the correct course number and course title.
- Each faculty member can request that a Master Course be created from the Blackboard System Administrator at any time. Requests should be submitted via the Blackboard course request form at: Blackboard Master Course Request Form
COPYING A MASTER COURSE TO A CLASS SHELL
Shells will be available sometime toward the end of the preceding quarter. The steps required to move content from the Master course to 1 or more Course Shells is quite simple and is outlined below:
- Go to the Control Panel in the originating Blackboard course (course site with content).
- Select Packages and Utilities >> Course Copy.
- Accept the Default to Copy Course Materials into an Existing Course.
- Click Browse next to "Destination Course ID."
- A Search for Courses window will pop-up. Click the Search button to browse for your course.
- Click the Select button next to the course you want to copy content into.
- Under Section 2 select the content you would like to copy by checking each box.
- IMPORTANT: Under Section 3 DON'T check the box next to "Enrollments."
- Click the Submit button.
- You should see a message that the process has been queued and that an email will be sent when it is complete.
Step 3: Access Your Course
Go to the Blackboard website and login using your username and password (for Novell GroupWise/Safari). Under My Courses, you should see your Master Course listed. Click the course name to enter your course.
Step 4: View Online Tutorials or Take a Workshop