Here are some tips to keep your neighbors happy and prevent your party from getting busted:
- Keep the party small, depending on the size of your living area, with less than 30 people.
- Make sure your guests are considerate of your neighbors by not parking cars on lawns, blocking driveways, leaving trash around, or vandalizing property.
- Keep the party indoors to cut down on clean-up time and reduce the amount of noise. Shut the windows and walk outside from time to time to check the noise level. If guests do go outside, caution them about noise. Remember, Ellensburg noise ordinance restricts noise after 10 pm. The first offense is a $513 fine, second, $1025, and third $2,050.
- DO NOT charge any kind of fees to party guests. Charging for alcohol is against the law.
- DO NOT serve alcohol to minors. Also against the law, and local prosecuting attorneys offices will seek jail time for anyone convicted of furnishing alcohol to a minor.
- Don’t continue serving alcohol to guests who have had too much to drink.
- If your neighbors call or stop by to tell you the party’s too loud, cooperate with them. Otherwise, they may end up calling the police.
- Cooperate with the police if they show up. Have a calm, sober person speak with them. If they ask you to break up the party, do it. It’s okay to call the cops yourself if the party gets out of hand and you need help.
- If a guest has had too much to drink, don’t let him/her drive. Call a taxi (Rodeo Town Taxi - (509) 929-4222), arrange for a ride with another guest who is sober, or invite your guest to stay over.