Many of us don't think about safety when looking at a place to rent, but it's an important issue to consider. Some things to look for are:
- Is the address well-marked and lighted?
- Is the building neat and clean in appearance and well-maintained?
- Are trees and shrubs trimmed to prevent hiding places?
- Is the outdoor lighting-front, back, and parking area-adequate? What about inside the building?
- Are the entry doors solid core wood or metal? Do they have deadbolt locks and eye viewers?
- Do easily accessible windows/sliding glass doors have secondary locking devices, such as charlie bars, pin locks, or dowels?
- Do the locks and latches work properly, including on the windows?
- Does at least one window in every bedroom open for escape in case of fire?
- Is the laundry room locked and lighted at all times?