About the Summer Masters Program
The CWU Master of Music Education degree allows teachers in the profession to obtain a Masters Degree without having to take time off from their careers to do so.
The program consists of three summer comprehensive sessions on the CWU campus. These summer intensives last approximately 3 weeks and cover a wide range of practical course work that gives our students the tools to become master teachers.
The master of music education curriculum is designed to provide opportunity for depth of study in an area of specialization, to increase professional competence in teaching and performance, and to prepare for continued, self-directed study or advanced graduate study.
All candidates shall complete at least 45 credits as delineated in an approved course of study filed with the Office of Graduate Studies and Research.
For those interested in a Masters degree specific to band, visit our American Band College program page.
- Works with your schedule
- Use your classes during school year for your culminating project
- Specialization options
- Summer Housing options
(tentative pending decisions on in-person instruction)
- July 5-10 - Session one
- July 12-17 - Session two
- July 19-24 - Session three
To Apply For The Summer Masters Program
- Apply for Graduate Admission to Central Washington University. More details on our Graduate Admissions page.
- Contact the CWU Music Graduate Coordinator and/or the specific Program Advisor for the degree program of interest. The Music Education program advisor is Dr. Bret Smith.
- Deadline for admission priority is April 15
Please note that the above application materials must be sent to the CWU Graduate Studies Office (400 East University Way, Ellensburg, WA 98926-7510).
Music Department required application materials/qualifications for the summer masters program:
Once you have submitted the above application to the CWU Graduate Studies Office, please submit the following supporting materials directly to Dr. Bret Smith
- A writing sample (typically an undergraduate paper) in the field of music education.
- The completion of at least one year of successful public school music instruction. This requirement may be waived by the music education committee upon petition by the applicant.
- Evidence of an appropriate level of musicianship, satisfied in one of the following ways:
- A live performance audition
- A video or audio recording of a performance directed by the applicant
- A video recording of a music lesson or class taught by the applicant
- Other evidence deemed appropriate in consultation with the evaluating committee.
Tuition and additional mandatory fee costs can be found on the CWU Tuition and Fees page. Financial aid is available through CWU’s Office of Financial Aid. The typical course of study for our masters program requires 15 credits per quarter for three summer quarters.
In order to be considered for financial aid the graduate student must do the following:
- Be accepted into a graduate program of study
- Fill out a 2021-2022 FAFSA Application
- Register for your summer courses
- Go to the CWU Financial Aid web page for more information
Housing and Transportation
The Conference Program has limited space available to summer students who will be staying short-term on campus beginning in June and ending in August. Applications will be accepted on a space available, first come first serve basis. You will be contacted if lodging space is not available for your specific dates. To apply for a room follow the instructions and complete the registration form.
Registration Form (2021 form coming soon)
This page contains links to websites outside of www.cwu.edu. The views and opinions expressed on unofficial pages of Central Washington University faculty, staff or students are strictly those of the page authors. The content of such pages has not been reviewed or approved by Central Washington University.
The Bellair Charters Airporter Shuttle provides service to a variety of places between Yakima, Ellensburg, North Bend, and SeaTac Airport. For more information, visit the schedules and rate page on the Airporter website.