Strategic Objectives for the CWU Music Program
A. Teaching and Learning
Objective: The Department will maintain and enhance academic programs and ensure student success by:
- Preparing students for graduate schools and entry-level positions in the profession.
- Reviewing and remodeling degrees to prepare students for an always-changing world.
- Providing excellent advising so students succeed in all degrees.
- Providing support to enhance faculty teaching.
- Maintaining accreditation to demonstrate credibility in the field.
B. Inclusiveness and Diversity
Objective: The Department will continue to build and retain an inclusive, diverse, and outstanding musical community by:
- Recruiting and retaining students, faculty, and staff of diverse backgrounds and capabilities that sustain high standards.
- Maintaining and enhancing an atmosphere of inclusiveness for members of the department, the local and university community, and the underserved in the region.
- Maintaining a balance of the different music major concentrations.
- Using interdisciplinary degree offerings (including minors and certificate programs) as a means of attracting students and increasing diversity.
C. Scholarship and Creative Expression
Objective: The Department will assist students, faculty, and staff in receiving recognition for their creative and scholarly contributions to the profession by:
- Supporting opportunities for scholarly and creative growth for faculty, students and staff.
- Seeking and promoting means by which students, faculty, and staff may pursue scholarly and creative activities.
D. Public Service and Community Engagement
Objective: The Department will maintain and enhance service opportunities to connect with external communities and serve as a model for life-long learning through a variety of cultural and educational activities by:
- Promoting student and faculty service to the profession, the university, and the community.
- Maintaining and enhancing support for festivals, guest artists, faculty and student presentations at conferences, student and faculty touring, and publicity.
- Maintaining and enhancing outreach into local and regional communities.
E. Resource Management and Stewardship
Objective: The Department will exercise responsible stewardship of its programs and facilities by:
- Maintaining and enhancing department budgets, enrollment management, and scholarship offerings to meet department objectives.
- Ensuring that there are adequate faculty, staff, and support to meet department objectives.
- Ensuring that there are adequate facilities, maintenance to support facilities, upgrades to technology, and upgrades in equipment to meet department objectives.