Graduate Assistantship Positions
The music department has a number of Graduate Assistantship positions available each year. These assistantships are one year positions with the possibility of renewal for a second year. A combination of duties that may include teaching, coaching, assisting, conducting, and directing are expected of all Graduate Assistants, with 20 hours of duties per week assigned. The compensation package includes a stipend plus in-state tuition waiver, health center fee, and health insurance benefits. (A limited number of non-resident tuition waivers are available).
Graduate assistants are normally selected during the months of March and April for the following academic year. For full consideration, applications should be filed before February 1. Later applications will be given consideration if positions become available.
For more information and current compensation figures, contact the CWU Graduate Office at 509-963-3101.
Possible Assistantship Duties
- Piano: teach Class Piano. Accompany rehearsals. Assist with Piano area organizational duties
- Choral: direct Lab Choir, direct a Vocal Jazz Ensemble, assist Choral area, including conducting & organizational duties
- Jazz Instrumental: direct a large jazz ensemble, coach multiple jazz combos, assist Jazz area, including directing & organizational duties
- Band: assist with multiple bands, including conducting & organizational duties
- Orchestra: assist orchestra area, including conducting & organizational duties
- Theory: assist with grading of theory homework, assist with ear training, lead tutoring sessions.
- History: assignment grading, instruction, tutoring
Many of the above areas do not comprise a complete assignment. Therefore, duties which are compatible with the strengths of each candidate may be assigned from (but not limited to) the list below:
- A combination of partial duties for two or more areas from the list above
- Accompanying (piano)
- Applied studio: technical and/or artistic instruction
- Equipment inventory and/or maintenance
- Methods courses: instruction
- Theory: assignment grading, instruction, tutoring
Graduate Addmissions for Music
For more details on Graduate Assistantship positions, contact:
Associate Chair/Graduate Coordinator