Band & Orchestra Auditions
If you wish to be considered for Band or the Symphony Orchestra, you will need to go through the audition process. Auditions are required for acceptance into all of the large instrumental ensembles. A faculty committee conducts these auditions near the beginning of each quarter. The audition schedule will be posted here when it becomes available.
If you would like to audition, please download and practice the excerpts posted on Audition Excerpts page. Each student is responsible for tempo, musicality, and style for each excerpt. It is strongly recommended that each auditioning student find and listen to recordings of the excerpts if possible.
If no specific excerpts are posted for your instrument, or you just couldn't get the audition material in advance, you may choose sections from a solo or an etude as your audition material. It would be appropriate to perform a section that shows your technique and a slow section that displays phrasing, tone quality and musical expression. We suggest only that you choose carefully so as to present what you do well, not what you have yet to learn.
Wednesday, September 22, 2021
- 9:00am- 11:00am Flute, concert hall
- 12:00pm- 1:00pm Oboe, recital hall
- 1:00pm- 2:00pm Bassoon, recital hall
- 2:00pm- 4:00pm Cello, recital hall
- 4:00pm-6:00pm Bass, recital hall
- 6:30pm- 8:30pm Clarinet, recital hall
Thursday, September 23, 2021
- 10:00am- 12:00pm Horn, concert hall
- 1:00pm- 2:00pm Euphonium, band room
- 2:00pm- 3:00pm Tuba, band room
- 5:00pm- 7:00pm Percussion, concert hall
Friday, September 24, 2021
- 8:30am- 10:30am Trumpet
- 12:00pm- 2:00pm Trombone, recital hall
- 3:00pm- 4:00pm Violin, recital hall
- 4:00pm- 5:00pm Viola, recital hall
- 6:30pm- 8:30pm Saxophone, recital hall
- Sign up for times the old fashioned way, on the sign-up sheet on the bulletin board by the choir room.
- If you can’t make any of the posted audition times, please see Dr. Feagin, Professor Bain or Dr. Caoile.
- For downloadable excerpts check the Audition Excerpts page to see if your areas excerpts have been posted yet.
You will need a permission number for Wind Ensemble or Orchestra. There is no need to physically sign up for these ensembles before the first rehearsal. You are given until the end of the schedule change period each quarter by the registrar's office to drop and add with no penalty. After which time the current add/drop fee is assessed.
- Please visit the Jazz Auditions page