Costs and Payments
How do students pay for charges?
Starting in 2015 we will bill most major insurance plans. Any portion of your bill not covered by insurance will be billed to your preferred payment method (debit card, credit card, Connection Card, and/or Student Account). We strongly encourage you to always carry a copy of your insurance card*. We require a copy of the front and back of your current medical insurance ID card in order to submit medical insurance claims on your behalf. Hand written insurance information cannot be accepted in place of your card. We will accept faxed or emailed copies of insurance ID cards.
Students are also required to complete the SMaCC insurance information form. The form is to be completed by the student (unless the student is under the age of 18). The form can be completed on the Patient Portal, faxed or emailed. Copies of the SMaCC insurance information form will be accepted and payment method confirmed in person during your first appointment. If you are a student under the age of 18 please contact us for more information.
The Student Medical and Counseling Clinic (SMaCC) will never refuse services to a student without an insurance card or healthcare coverage.
Do students need health insurance?
The Washington Health Benefit Exchange, established as part of national health care reform, provides an online marketplace for students to compare low-cost medical insurance options. In Washington State, this includes expanded Medicaid eligibility and tax credits to offset health insurance costs.
Here are some things to consider as you evaluate your health insurance options.
- As of January 1, 2014 everyone is required to have health insurance. The penalty for being uninsured for the first year is about $100.00 and increases each year.
- If you play sports CWU requires that you have insurance coverage.
- You may qualify for special enrollment options if you experience a qualifying life event or are eligible for Medicaid.
- If you are not a resident of Washington, please visit your home state exchange website to learn about your insurance options or contact SMaCC staff at 509-963-1881 or 509-963-1391 for coverage information.
Will you bill my insurance company?
- We bill most major insurance plans. Our office will file claims to your insurer as long as we have all of the required documents on file (copy of the front and back of insurance ID card and completed insurance information form). Any portion of your bill not covered by insurance will be billed to your preferred payment method or may be applied to your CWU student account (you will not receive a bill by mail from SMaCC). We recommend you check the Patient Portal for account information frequently to view charges that may have been applied. Your insurance company will mail an Explanation of Benefit (EOB) to the member on file. You may make payments for any of our services by visiting our office (credit cards, debit card and Connection Card are accepted) or by phone (using a credit card, debit card or Connection Card).
- We are contracted providers for thirteen different payers (e.g. Premera, Blue Cross, Regence, Group Health and others). Co-payments for these plans are charged as indicated by your plan.
Who is responsible for payment?
- If you are 18 years of age or older, you are legally responsible for your charges. If you are under the age of 18, your parents or legal guardians are responsible for payment. Although our staff is here to assist you with any billing and insurance related questions, you should be familiar with the specifics of your particular coverage such as co-payments, deductibles and covered vs. non-covered services.
- For your privacy, all SMaCC charges will appear on your student account as "Student Medical and Counseling Clinic." By policy, any charges to Student Accounts will be settled before the end of the quarter.
- You will not receive a bill by mail for charges incurred at the SMaCC. All charges are posted on the Patient Portal and if a co-pay is required it will be applied to your preferred payment method. Co-pay may be required at the time of service. Payments can be made at our office (cash, check and major credit cards accepted) or by phone (using a credit card, debit card, and/or Connection Card). Payments made directly to SMaCC with a credit card are not subject to a service charge.
- If you need to pay for services using your Health Savings Card please call and we will process your payment.
How can I get help paying for medical care?
The SMaCC is committed to providing healthcare services to all students in need of medical attention. If you have concerns about your ability to pay for charges, please contact our office to discuss payment options. For financial assistance and insurance options, please contact the Student Medical and Counseling Clinic office at 509-963-1881 or 509-963-1391. We can provide assistance to CWU students with:
- Health insurance options and answering enrollment questions for the CWU insurance plans and the Washington Healthcare Exchange
- Understanding and navigating the medical system and insurance benefits
- Exploring options and applying for financial assistance for routine and urgent medical care