Skip to body

Student Medical & Counseling Clinic

Charges & Insurance Information

Costs and Payments

How do students pay for charges?
Any portion of your bill not covered by insurance will be billed to your preferred payment method (debit card, credit card, Connection Card, and/or Student Account).    We strongly encourage you to always carry a copy of your insurance card*. We require a copy of the front and back of your current medical insurance ID card in order to submit medical insurance claims on your behalf. Hand written insurance information cannot be accepted in place of your card. We will accept faxed copies of insurance ID cards.

Students are also required to complete the SMaCC insurance information form. The form can be completed on the Patient Portal, or faxed.  Copies of the SMaCC insurance information form will be accepted and payment method confirmed in person during your first appointment.

The Student Medical and Counseling Clinic (SMaCC) will never refuse services to a student without an insurance card or healthcare coverage.


Will you bill my insurance company?

  • We bill most major insurance plans. Our office will file claims to your insurer as long as we have all of the required documents on file (copy of the front and back of insurance ID card and completed insurance information form).  Any portion of your bill not covered by insurance will be billed to your preferred payment method or may be applied to your CWU student account (you will not receive a bill by mail from SMaCC). We recommend you check the Patient Portal for account information frequently to view charges that may have been applied. Your insurance company will mail an Explanation of Benefit (EOB) to the member on file.
  • We are contracted providers for thirteen different payers (e.g. Premera, Blue Cross, Regence, Kaiser Permanente and others). Co-payments for these plans are charged as indicated by your plan.

Who is responsible for payment?

  • If you are 18 years of age or older, you are legally responsible for your charges. If you are under the age of 18, your parents or legal guardians are responsible for payment. Although our staff is here to assist you with any billing and insurance related questions, you should be familiar with the specifics of your particular coverage such as co-payments, deductibles and covered vs. non-covered services.

Student Accounts

  • For your privacy, all SMaCC charges will appear on your student account as "Student Medical and Counseling Clinic." By policy, any charges to Student Accounts will be settled before the end of the quarter.
  • You will not receive a bill by mail for charges incurred at the SMaCC. All charges are posted on the Patient Portal.

Do students need health insurance?
The Washington Health Benefit Exchange, established as part of national health care reform, provides an online marketplace for students to compare low-cost medical insurance options. In Washington State, this includes expanded Medicaid eligibility and tax credits to offset health insurance costs.

Here are some things to consider as you evaluate your health insurance options.

  • As of January 1, 2014 everyone is required to have health insurance. The penalty for being uninsured for the first year is about $100.00 and increases each year.
  • If you play sports CWU requires that you have insurance coverage.
  • You may qualify for special enrollment options if you experience a qualifying life event or are eligible for Medicaid.
  • If you are not a resident of Washington, please visit your home state exchange website to learn about your insurance options.

How can I get help paying for medical care?

The SMaCC is committed to providing healthcare services to all students in need of medical attention.  If you have concerns about your ability to pay for charges, please take a look at these websites for information on financial assistance and insurance options.

Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.