Scholarships, Fellowships, Financial Aid, Grants:
- If you are not sure you can afford graduate school, visit this site to see all your financial options: http://www.gradschools.com/article-category/financial-aid-34
- If a minority, visit this site to see your financial options for graduate school and also general advice for getting through graduate school: https://mtsu.collegiatelink.net/organization/mgsa
- To learn more about work study, loans, and grants that can help you get through graduate school: http://www2.ed.gov/finaid/landing.jhtml
- To see great scholarship opportunities for Minority students: http://www.finaid.org/otheraid/minority.phtml
- For all students looking for scholarship opportunities and ways to afford graduate school: http://www.finaid.org/
- To see all the grants and fellowships the Ford Foundation is offering, go to this site: http://www.fordfoundation.org/
- This site has an extensive scholarship database that is updated daily and lists more than 3 million scholarships: https://www1.salliemae.com/before_college/students_plan/free_money/scholarship-search.htm
- National consortium for Graduate Degrees for Minorities in Engineering and Science:
- Social Science Resource Council: http://www.ssrc.org/
- American Association of University Women: http://www.aauw.org/
- Scholarships for McNair Graduates: http://www.graduate.indiana.edu/admissions/financial-support/fellowships-awards/mcnair.shtml
Graduate School survival guides:
- For great tips on picking a dissertation topic, and selecting a committee to help you through graduate school and your dissertation: http://www.des.emory.edu/mfp/grad.html
- This paper not only helps students through the graduate school process but advisors as well: http://www.cs.indiana.edu/HTMLit/how.2b/how.2b.html
- A solid study skills guide from the college of Saint Benedict and Saint Johns University: http://www.csbsju.edu/academic-advising/study-skills-guide.htm
- For grad students who want to be involved in new and fascinating science programs and discoveries: http://www.nsf.gov/index.jsp
- To read more about how the Council of Graduate Schools are enhancing graduate education, click this link: http://www.cgsnet.org/
- Feel free to discuss admissions, your dissertation, etc. on this forum: http://www.gradschoolforum.com/index.php?s=06b9fad6bad2d9873a0eac169bba4854
A survival guide for Ethnic Minority graduate students:
- For tips on how to succeed in Graduate School for Ethnic Minority Graduate Students, click on this link: http://www.imdiversity.com/Villages/Channels/grad_school/articles/grad_how_to_succeed.asp
Links with information on managing relationships/family while in grad school:
- Great tips on balancing all the work and demands that come with graduate school and all the demands and responsibilities that come with your family and relationships: http://www.educationindex.net/educationarticles/graduateschoolstips/survivinggradschool/demandsfamilykidsworking.html
- A blog for people going to graduate school soon with family and relationships seeking advice and for students already in graduate school seeking similar advice: http://loveandacademia.livejournal.com/89112.html
- A forum for students to discuss dating and also just student social life in general: http://www.gradschoolforum.com/f11-grad-student-social-life-from-academic-relationships-to-dating.html
- For more information on relationships with school peers: http://gradschool.about.com/od/survivinggraduateschool/a/peerrel.htm
Summer Research Opportunities:
- Great Summer research programs for students in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematical fields: http://www.pathwaystoscience.org/programs.asp?descriptorhub=SummerResearch_Summer%20Research%20Opportunity
- This research experience is supported by NSF and is a great educational opportunity: http://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_summ.jsp?pims_id=5517&from=fund
- SPIRE Postdoctoral Program - Accepting Applications: The Seeding Postdoctoral Innovators in Research and Education (SPIRE) program is now accepting applications for FALL 2011. The program is an NIH/NIGMS funded, 3 year postdoctoral fellowship which combines 2 years of research and 1 year of teaching along with professional development opportunities to prepare scholars for careers in academia. Scholars engage in independent research at UNC Chapel Hill and teach at one of our partner minority serving institutions in North Carolina with the goal of increasing diversity in science professions.
- NASA Graduate Student Research Program (GSRP): The goals of NASA's GSRP are to cultivate research ties to the academic community, increase the number of highly trained scientists and engineers in aeronautics and space related disciplines, and broaden the base of students pursuing advanced degrees in science, mathematics, and engineering.
- Hispanic Dissertation Support The American Association of Hispanics in Higher Education (AAHHE) and Educational Testing Service (ETS): Outstanding Dissertations Competition. AAHHE and ETS recognize the significant need to increase the number of Hispanics receiving doctoral degrees, entering higher education on the tenure track, and eventually serving in faculty leadership and administrative roles.
- Dissertation Calculator This calculator from the University of Minnesota Libraries helps you break the writting process of your dissertation down into a managable schedule along with providing you with helpful resources and advice.
- PhinisheD is a online support group for "people trying to finish their dissertaions or theses, and those who have been there." The group also has pages for undergraduates who are considering continuing on to graduate school, any student with what seems to be an insurmountable writting task, and family members who just want to understand the pressure on the writer in their family.
- All But Dissertation Survival Guide Tips for Surviving the Ph.D., a monthly e-mail newsletter, and other helpful resources with practical strategies for completing your dissertation