Tenure Track Positions:
The Mathematics Department at Central Washington University seeks to fill one, possibly two, mathematics tenure track faculty positions at the rank of Assistant Professor beginning September 16, 2014. We are an active and vibrant department of seventeen full-time tenured or tenure-track faculty, seven full-time non-tenure track instructors, and 4-7 adjunct faculty members. Our largest major is mathematics education, followed by actuarial science and the standard Bachelors degree in mathematics. The department enrolls approximately 2000 students each quarter. Average class size is about 30 with a maximum of forty-five students. We have a longstanding reputation as being one of the premiere institutions in the Pacific Northwest for the preparation of highly trained mathematics teachers, actuaries, and math graduates. The enrollment in our mathematics honors program is robust and increasing.
Primary responsibilities include teaching a range of courses from general education to courses for mathematics majors. The successful candidate will be expected to possess superior teaching abilities and a willingness to teach a wide range of courses at all levels of mathematics. The average teaching load is twelve credits per quarter. Other responsibilities include advising students, engaging in scholarship appropriate to the applicant’s field, and service to the university and profession.
• Earned doctorate by starting date in either:
o Applied Mathematics
• Evidence of teaching excellence and strong commitment to undergraduate teaching.
• Potential to develop an active research/scholarship program.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with students in mathematics courses.
• Experience or interest in teaching courses in applied mathematics and mathematical computing.
• Teaching experience at the college level.
• Commitment to collaborate with students on research projects.
• Experience in applied mathematics and mathematical computing.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Screening Date: Screening will begin on December 1, 2013 and continue until the position is filled. Full consideration will be given to applications completed by December 1, 2013.
Applications are accepted online at http://MathJobs.org. A complete application will include
1) A letter of application with a self-assessment of ability to perform responsibilities and meet required and preferred qualifications;
2) A statement of teaching philosophy;
3) A statement of scholarly activity including future plans;
4) A curriculum vitae;
5) Contact information, including phone and e-mail addresses, of three current references.
Finalists will be required to supply three letters of recommendation.
Non-Tenure Track Positions:
All hiring for Adjunct employment are done through the CWU Human Resource website. Applications sent directly to the department either electronically or on paper are destroyed without review.
There is an annual lecturer pool from which we hire full time non-tenure track as well as part-time non-tenure track positions. This pool remains open throughout the year and will be used if openings arise.
In addition, listings for tenure-track positions are posted at the same site when they become available.
The Mathematics Department maintains a list of students who are interested in tutoring other students. Please contact the Department Secretary Brenda Bland for more information.
Students may also find employment at the University Math Center as tutors or instructors. Please contact the University Learning Commons Director Prairie Brown for more information.
CWU is an AA/EOE/Title IX Institution.
From the Da Vinci Code to Windtalkers*, people are fascinated by secret messages, encryptions, andJuggling Math Professor Receives MAA National Teaching Award
Juggling. Weird numbers. Mozart. What do these things have in common? They have Dominic Klyve [KLEECWU Math Students Calculate What No Mathematician Has Before
Math students at Central Washington University say they’ve broken a 37-year-old world record for