Skip to body

School of Graduate Studies and Research

Prospective International Students

Academic Criteria

A 3.0 cumulative Grade Point Average - GPA -  or above (on a 4.0 scale) is required to be academically admissible. The Graduate School calculates the last 90 quarter hour or last 60 semester hour GPA.

English Proficiency

If the applicant’s native language is not English, he or she is required to demonstrate proof of English proficiency by one of the following:

A. Submit a standardized test score
1) a minimum Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) iBT, score of 79. You can register for the TOEFL or request to have scores sent by contacting the TOEFL website . The Central Washington University's school code is #4044

  • A score of 79 or above on the Internet-based TOEFL
  • A score of 88 or above on the Internet-based TOEFL for English programs

The Graduate School cannot accept photocopies or the "examinee copy," scores from the the Institutional TOEFL, or official scores that are  from tests taken more than two years ago.

2) a minimum International English Language Testing Systems (IELTS) academic score of 6.5 (scores should be from tests taken no more than two years ago at the time of application)

Official IELTS scores should be sent directly to the School of Graduate Studies and Research from IELTS. Photocopies are not acceptable. You can register for the IELTS or request to have scores sent by contacting the IELTS website. Central Washington University's school code is #4044.

3) a minimum of 105 on the Duolingo English Test

The Duolingo English Test is an online English proficiency test that can be taken online, on-demand, in under an hour for only $49. The test is taken via a computer with a camera and includes a proficiency score, video interview, and writing sample which are shared with Central Washington University when you send your results. Certified results are available within 48 hours of the test session.

Please note that the Department of English requires a TOEFL iBT score of 88 or an IELTS academic score of 6.5.

B. Submit U.S. Baccalaureate degree transcripts
Submit transcripts from a baccalaureate degree from an accredited U.S. university or an accredited international university where the main language of instruction is English.
Students who originate from one of the following countries are exempt from having to take the TOEFL or IELTS: Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom, and English-speaking provinces of Canada.

Financial Documentation

All students must provide adequate financial documentation before an admission decision can be made and an I-20 issued. Students must complete the Confidential Financial Statement (CFS), which is enclosed in the International Student Application packet. The CFS (Ellensburg/Centers) must be signed by the student and by the person who will be sponsoring the student financially. Along with the CFS, students must also submit a current bank statement. The bank statement should be in the name of the student's sponsor or the student, should be dated and no older than three months old by the time we receive it, and should be an original that is in English or translated into English. The bank statement should show that the account holder has at least the total cost for 1 academic year available. Please keep copies of your financial documentation for yourself, as you will need to present them to the U.S. Consulate when applying for your student visa. 

[Back to the Top]

Academic Transcripts

Because educational systems around the world are different, academic transcripts will vary. We require an original, official transcript that shows a complete list of courses taken, grades received, and number of credits awarded. These documents need to be in the language of the country and in English.  If the institution attended does not send certified English translated documents you may have the translations processed and certified with University Language Services (ULS). Their information can be found at their website. The transcript should also show date of graduation (if you completed your studies) and any certificates, diplomas, or degrees received. 

If you are currently attending a school, submit a transcript of work to date and request a final transcript to be sent when you complete your studies. A transcript is considered official when it comes directly from the issuing institute.

If the transcript is not in English, then you will need to also submit a certified translation from the school who issued the transcript, the Ministry of Education, Consulate, or Embassy.

If you attended a foreign university you must have the transcripts evaluated by one of the methods below. Applicants who have attended universities in China, India, Pakistan or Nigeria please note additional information below.

A) Central Washington University's (CWU) In House credential evaluator.

B) If CWU's evaluator is unable to determine the US equivalency of the transcript, then you must use a translation service agency. Please be sure to request that the agency perform a complete course-by-course evaluation and submit the completed evaluation to CWU with a copy (original or photocopy) of the transcript. Some of the agencies that we use are below, however, Naces offers a full list of agencies.

If the original transcript is not written in English you must also include a certified English translation. If you use one of the agencies, you do not need to send your transcripts to Central Washington University. Send your Official transcripts directly to one of the evaluation agencies listed above, and they will send us the information that we require.

Chinese Universities (Additional Information)
If you have been awarded a Bachelors, Masters and or Doctoral degree, the official Chinese transcript must be given to the China Academic Degrees and Graduate Education Development Center (CDGDC) for the translation. Once the transcript has been translated the CDGDC will send documents to the school the student has requested it be sent to. Verification Reports sent directly to Central Washington University by one of the Ministry authorized verification offices include:

  • Graduation Certificates
  • Degree Certificates

If you are in the process of earning a degree, or have taken courses at a Chinese university but did not earn a degree, or need verification of secondary credentials, tertiary technical/vocational institutions credentials you will have to use the China Higher Education Student Information and Career Center (CHESICC) for translation and verification purposes.

Indian Universities (Additional Information)
Central Washington University's In House evaluator will not evaluate transcripts from India. The official Indian transcript must be evaluated by either International Services (FIS) Or WES.

Nigerian Universities (Additional Information)
Central Washington University's In House evaluator will not evaluate transcripts from Nigeria. The official Nigerian transcript must be evaluated by either International Services (FIS) Or WES.

Pakistani Universities (Additional Information)
Central Washington University's In House evaluator will not evaluate transcripts from Pakistan. The official Pakistani transcript must be evaluated by either International Services (FIS) Or WES.


If you plan to bring dependents (spouse or children) with you to the US, you must also submit a Dependent Form.

Admission Deadlines

Fall Quarter -- February 1st

Winter Quarter -- October 1st

Spring Quarter -- January 1st

Summer Quarter -- April 1st

(See our calendar for other deadlines and upcoming events.)

[Back to the Top]

How to Apply

  • Apply on-line. Choose the "Apply as a Graduate Student" option located on the bottom right hand side of the page. If you get an error, please try a fresh browser without any CWU browsing history. You cannot access the application if you are already in myCWU. With this option, you will need to pay electronically with a credit card.

    You will also need to print the Confidential Financial Statement (Ellensburg/Centers) which needs to be filled out and sent in the mail with an attached bank statement.

  • If you experience problems please email or call the School of Graduate Studies and Research at or 509-963-3101.

    Be sure to include all of the following materials. Do not forget that your name must appear on each document. Materials submitted in support of your application cannot be returned nor will they be released for other purposes. There is a non-refundable fee of $75.00. You may be eligible to apply for an Application Fee Waiver.

Application Requirements

1. Application $75.00 fee must be paid before you can submit your application.

2. Statement of Educational and Professional Objectives. Write a statement, approximately 500 words, of educational and professional objectives outlining your career goals and detailing any additional information that will help the admissions committee understand your educational objectives and needs. The statement of educational and professional objectives is one of the most important deciding factors for entrance into graduate school. One resource that may help guide your organization of the statement is the Online Writing Lab at Purdue University.
Your statement should portray you as:
• Passionately interested in your field and/or how you will apply the knowledge to your future profession
• Well-prepared academically and personally able to take on the challenges of graduate school
• Able to have rapport with professors and fellow grad students - in other words, collegial

3. Three letters of recommendation (May be submitted online with your application by supplying contact information for your three recommenders. These recommenders will receive an automatic email notifying them of your request to complete a recommendation.  If your recommender prefers to send a letter by mail, forms can be found here: Recommendation for Graduate Studies

4. Official transcripts from all universities attended accompanied by a transcript evaluation (information regarding the transcript evaluation can be found above.

5. 3.0 GPA or above on your last 90 quarter credits/60 semester credits cumulative Grade Point Average.

6. TOEFL test (79 IBT) or IELTS test (6.5 academic)- waived if received a bachelor’s degree from a US university or from a university where the main language of instruction is English.

7. Confidential Financial Statement accompanied by financial documentation.

8. Writing Samples Writing samples are required for the following programs: English (7-10 pages); History (7-10 pages); Theatre Studies (5 pages preferably in your discipline); Law and Justice (minimum 2 pages from college course or work related); Exercise Science (please contact the department at 509-963-1911 to receive your topic for the required 2 page writing sample).

When applying online you must use a credit card to pay the $50 application fee. Your application will be denied indefinitely if you use a fraudulent credit card. Please ensure you use a valid credit card to pay your application fee.

Admissions Tests

Graduate Record Examination (GRE)

GRE scores may be required by some departments. Please confirm with the department before you take a test. Scores may be ordered from the Educational Testing Service (ETS) by calling (609) 771-7670 or visiting their web site at ETS will forward the test scores directly to the Graduate School.

When preparing for the GRE, you will find some helpful resources, including examples of past test questions, and complete practice tests at the ETS site.

International Tuition and Fees

International students who have not been granted permanent US residency status and international students who have documented permanent US residency status, but are not residents of Washington State are assessed tuition at the nonresident rate.  International students who have documented permanent US residency status and are also residents of Washington State will be assessed tuition at the resident rate.  Please refer to the Office of the Registrar’s web page for current tuition and fee rates

Curricular Practical Training and Optional Practical Training

For Computational Science Program International students, on a F1 student visa, will need departmental approval prior to being authorized for Curricular Practical Training (CPT). CPT will be accepted only for the Summer Quarters and for one of the Fall/Winter/Spring quarters of the second year, for a single employer. The necessary information and signatures will be obtained by completion of the “learning agreement” which can be downloaded from the Career Services website.

Frequently Asked Questions

All costs subject to change without notice. Health insurance is mandatory for all international students. Prices will vary based on plan and provider.  Please contact the International Student Scholars Services Staff for details. To schedule an appointment with a staff member within the Office of International Studies and Programs please click here: Schedule

Scholarships may be available to you. Please check out the International Scholarship website for details or contact the office via email,

What is the I-20 and when will I receive it?

The I-20 is a "Certificate of Eligibility" that is issued to International students who have been approved for admissions to Central Washington University. The I-20 is a document that students must have if they are intending to apply for a student (F-1) visa. ONLY STUDENTS WHO HAVE BEEN ADMITTED TO THE UNIVERSITY WILL BE ISSUED AN I-20. Students must also attend classes on a full-time basis to be eligible for the I-20. After you are admitted to the University, you will receive your I-20 and acceptance letter in the mail to the address you list on your application.

[Back to the Top]

Who will my advisor be?

After you receive your acceptance letter and I-20, you will be sent a welcome packet of information from International Student Services. The packet will include important information about registration and orientation. Once you are on campus you can contact your major department to find out who your advisor will be.

Are there scholarships or financial aid available to International students?

Financial aid is not available to International students. There are limited scholarships available through International Student Services after the first year of study. Please contact them for more information.

How can I get a catalog?

You can view the latest catalog online. 

When will I hear if I am accepted or not?

Files are reveiwed by the department you are applying to once they are complete, which means having all your official documents provided will ensure your file will be reviewed in a timely manner.  Once you have applied to the graduate school, it usually takes two to three days to process your application materials. Once we have recieved all of your official transcripts (or official transcript evaluations), letters of recommendation and test scores (if applicable), applications are then forwarded to the major department for review and admission recommendation. The application review can take four to six weeks.  Once an admissions decision is made, it can take up to four weeks to receive your acceptance letter and I-20 depending on what country the documents are being sent to (some take longer than others). For this reason, it is extremely important to get your application materials submitted as soon as possible before the quarter starts to allow plenty of time for the I-20 to reach you.

How do I apply for housing?

Around the time you receive your acceptance letter and I-20, you will also receive two booklets, one called "Room and Board Contract" and the other "Acceptance Information." The Acceptance Information booklet gives you detailed information about housing and dining options available to students. After you have reviewed the information and decided where you might want to live and what meal plan to have, you will then need to fill out the contract contained in the Room and Board Contract booklet and mail it to us with your housing deposit. For more information about housing, contact the Office of Residential Services.

[Back to the Top]

Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.