The Faculty Development and Research Council has established a limited number of competitive Faculty Research Appointments to assist faculty members of Central Washington University with their research, creative and scholarly projects. The Committee believes that these appointments will provide assistance for faculty members who wish to pursue a scholarly activity. These activities are expected to benefit both the scholar and the University.
The applicant must have a full-time, continuing academic year faculty appointment at the rank of assistant professor or higher. Applicants on professional leave or unpaid leave of absence are not eligible for academic year appointments. It is expected that the faculty member shall return to the University for one academic year following completion of the Faculty Research Appointment. Applications must be endorsed by the Department Chair and School/College Dean.
The Faculty Research Appointment is for full-time or a percentage thereof for a maximum of three calendar months or ten weeks during summer quarter. For academic year leave, the School of Graduate Studies and Research will provide adjunct replacement funding. The stipend for summer research appointments will be $4,000. The usual employee benefits will be deducted from this amount. Appointees are faculty employees of Central Washington University regardless of their physical location, with the usual responsibilities pertaining to on-campus employment.
- The applicant should expect to utilize the campus of Central Washington University as home base during the appointment period unless appropriate justification for off-campus activities is provided in the application.
- No more than two appointments in a given quarter will be granted to any one department or program. Exceptions may be made for large departments (those with fifteen or more faculty). This stipulation does not apply to summer appointments.
- Priority will be given to applicants who have not received faculty research appointment in the previous fiscal year. A faculty member can receive no more than one appointment in a given fiscal year.
- For those applicants who have received previous Faculty Development and Research Committee funding, past performance, as judged by the quality of the final report and publications, will be a consideration.
- Projects that can be interpreted as institutional or departmental research are not eligible.
- Projects that are related to completion of degree requirements are not eligible.
- All faculty who receive this award must submit an extramural grant proposal and be deemed the project director/principal investigator before applying again.
The application with complete instructions is available from the faculty funding portion of the Forms and Documents page.
Additionally, you may find it helpful as you prepare your application to review both a successful faculty research appointment application or some examples of common feedback from research appointment applications.
Review and Evaluation of Applications
The application must be approved by the Department Chair and the appropriate College Dean before submission to the Faculty Development & Research Council (FDRC). Each member of the Council will receive a copy of the submitted application for purposes of review and recommendation.
Evaluation of applications will take into account the following criteria:
- Abstract clarity (5 points)
- Project description clarity and scholarship (20 points)
- merit (20 points)
- impact (20 points)
- Action Plan/Methods (20 points)
- Extramural Potential (5 points)
- References cited (10 points)
- Funding Source (judged acceptable/not acceptable)
- Evidence of funding source contacts (judged acceptable/not acceptable)
- Proposed grant budget (judged acceptable/not acceptable)
Attachments are not allowable and will result in disqualification.
Recommendations on proposals are made by a vote of the Council. The FDRC Chair (Director of School of Graduate Studies and Research) does not vote except to break ties.
Deadlines for submitting applications to the Faculty Development and Research Council for review and recommendation will be January 15 for both Summer and Academic Appointments. In the event one of these dates falls on a weekend or holiday, the due date will be the next business day. Applications must be delivered to the School of Graduate Studies and Research before 5:00 p.m. on the deadline date; those received after the deadline will not be considered until the next scheduled review session. Applications must be complete at time of submission, including signed approvals by the Department Chair and College Dean. The Council will review the proposals and notification to applicants will generally occur within one month following each announced deadline date.
Within three months after the end of the appointment, the faculty member will submit a detailed report of activities and results to the Chair of the Faculty Development and Research Council.