Your future is Central
Selecting the right institution for a graduate career requires research and careful thought. We are excited that you are considering Central for your graduate school experience.
- Graduate faculty, programs, and graduate student resources
- Paying for graduate school
- How to Apply
- Application Requirements
- Admissions Tests
- Out-of-State Applicants
- Ellensburg and the Central Washington Region
Most graduate students choose to attend a university because of a particular professor, program, or department. The graduate faculty at Central have strong records of research and other creative activity, service, and teaching and are excellent mentors to creative and inquisitive students in a variety of disciplines.
See our list of graduate program offerings to find the program and faculty advisor that are right for you.
In addition to finding the right professor and program, prospective graduate students look for a school with the resources for successful graduate study. CWU offers an array of research facilities and student resources that you will find nowhere else.
While a graduate education is an investment in your future, many students do carefully consider tuition, fees, books, the other costs of a graduate program when they are researching schools. CWU offers low tuition rates, generous assistantships, and several scholarship, grant, and fellowship opportunities to help you better afford graduate school.
There are three ways in which you can apply to Central Washington University:
- Apply on-line. Submit your application electronically with the on-line application form. With this option, you will need to pay electronically with a credit card.
- Request to have an application sent to your address.
- Download the application materials and send them to Office of Graduate Studies and Research.
1. Application ($50.00 fee/can apply online: https://app.applyyourself.com/?id=cwugrad)
2. Statement of Educational and Professional Objectives (may be submitted with your online application; It should be a clear, informative letter about your interest in graduate study, research interests, pertinent work experience, and career goals)
3. Three letters of recommendation (May be submitted online with your application by supplying contact information for your three recommenders. These recommenders will receive an automatic email notifying them of your request to complete a recommendation. If your recommender prefers to send a letter by mail, forms can be found here: http://www.cwu.edu/masters/applying-cwu-graduate-school).
4. Official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended
5. 3.0 GPA or above on your last 90 quarter credits/60 semester credits (3.25 for Computational Science)
When applying online you must use a credit card to pay the $50 application fee. Your application will be denied indefinitely if you use a fraudulent credit card. Please ensure you use a valid credit card to pay your application fee.
Graduate Record Examination (GRE)GRE scores, required by some departments, may be ordered from the Educational Testing Service (ETS) by calling (609) 771-7670 or visiting their web site at www.gre.org. ETS will forward the test scores directly to the Graduate School.
When preparing for the GRE, you will find some helpful resources, including examples of past test questions, and complete practice tests at the ETS site.
Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT)
The GMAT may be ordered by fax (609) 883-4349 or telephone (609) 771-7330 or by visiting their Web site at www.gmac.com.When preparing for the GMAT, you may find the following sites helpful:
As a state-supported regional university, CWU has different tuition requirements for in-state or out of state students. However, CWU has entered into agreements with several organizations that permit us to offer in-state tuition rates to incoming graduate students from out-of-state. Additionally, the Admissions Office can provide guidance on establishing residency in Washington state, to help make your graduate education more affordable.
Read how CWU can help out-state-students save on their graduate education.
CWU is fortunate to host many international students who have come to Ellensburg to pursue their graduate education. Prospective international students should carefully read the international graduate student application instructions, as the process is different than the standard application process.
CWU's main campus is in Ellensburg, at the heart of Washington State, nestled in the Kittitas Valley. Ellensburg offers the quality of life, safety, and friendliness of small-town life, but with the diversity of vibrant arts and cultural activities characteristic of university towns. Ellensburg is an excellent setting for those who enjoy the out of doors.
CWU's Office of Housing and New Student Programs has extensive information on CWU-owned apartments and other student amenities.