Please read the information for International Students if applicable, before applying.
Central Washington University offers admission to applicants showing high potential for success in their chosen graduate disciplines. CWU admits students with diverse backgrounds to enhance the learning environment for all students.
Admission to CWU requires a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution. In addition, applicants must earn a minimum of a 3.0 GPA in all coursework attempted in at least the last 90 quarter (60 semester) hours of recognized academic work.
Admission decisions are based on a combination of factors. Grade point average, letters of recommendation from professors or others able to critically assess success in a graduate program, statement of purpose, standardized test scores (if applicable), academic preparation for work in the proposed field, and interests as matched with those of our faculty are all taken into consideration. We encourage prospective students to call, write to, or visit professors with similar areas of interest.
You have two options for applying to the CWU Graduate School.
Regardless of whether you use the on-line or paper application, be sure to include all of the following materials. Do not forget that your name must appear on each document. Materials submitted in support of your application cannot be returned nor will they be released for other purposes. You may be eligible to apply for an Application Fee Waiver.
1. Admission application. Your admission application must be completed and signed. Note that the signature on the form indicates your pledge that all information given is accurate and that all documents submitted for admission review are true and valid.
2. Statement of objectives. Write a statement, approximately 500 words, of educational and professional objectives outlining your career goals and detailing any additional information that will help the admissions committee understand your educational objectives and needs. The statement of educational and professional objectives is one of the most important deciding factors for entrance into graduate school. One resource that may help guide your organization of the statement is the Online Writing Lab at Purdue University.
Your statement should portray you as:
3. Letters of recommendation. Obtain three letters of recommendation written by professors or others capable of assessing your potential for success in a graduate program. Confidential recommendations should be submitted in sealed envelopes signed by the referees across each flap. Only CWU officials may open these. Non-confidential letters of recommendation need not be submitted in signed and sealed envelopes. Individuals writing letters of recommendation may use the enclosed recommendation form, or, if they prefer, they may write a letter. Either way, be certain that your name is included on each recommendation.
4. Official transcripts. Obtain official transcripts from all universities and colleges you have attended. Central Washington University will accept electronic transcripts that are emailed directly from the issuing university or college. They should use the email@example.com email. Hard copies must be submitted in sealed envelopes prepared by the issuing institution’s registrar’s office and sealed by that office. If you have attended CWU, it is not necessary to provide a CWU transcript. In addition to the above general admission requirements, several departments have special admission requirements.
5. Writing Samples. Writing samples are required for the following programs: English (7-10 pages); History (7-10 pages); Theatre Studies (5 pages preferably in your discipline); Law and Justice (minimum 2 pages from college course or work related); Exercise Science (please contact the department at 509-963-1911 to receive your topic for the required 2 page writing sample).
Once completed, your application file will be carefully evaluated by a committee of faculty in the program or department to which you are applying . You will be informed of their decision as quickly as possible.
Application Fee Waivers are available.
To determine if you are eligible based on your MFI (based on income tax return) use the following link:
Copy of the first page of parent(s) income tax return showing Median Family Income (MFI) OR
Copy of the first page of your income tax return showing Median Family Income (MFI) or applicable documentation.
Once you've completed the fee waiver form submit it along with a copy of the above mentioned documentation to the Graduate School address below. After your fee waiver has been processed by the Graduate School you will be sent an email with instructions on next steps. If you pay the $50 application fee before you receive your next step instruction it will not be refunded.
If you have questions, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 509-963-3101.
Send application materials to:
School of Graduate Studies and Research
Central Washington University
400 East University Way
Ellensburg, WA 98926-7510
GRE scores, required by some departments, may be ordered from the Educational Testing Service (ETS) by calling (609) 771-7670 or visiting their web site at www.gre.org. ETS will forward the test scores directly to the Graduate School.
When preparing for the GRE, you will find some helpful resources, including examples of past test questions, and complete practice tests at the ETS site.
The School of Graduate Studies and Research (SGSR) will hold an additional, separate Hooding CeremonGrad Students: Tell Your Story!
The SGSR is highlighting our graduate students’ stories about why you chose CWU, what you've accomThe Art And Science Of Getting And Managing Grants
The office of Research and Sponsored Programs in the School of Graduate Studies and Research is plea
|Fall Quarter||February 1|
|Winter Quarter||October 1|
|Spring Quarter||January 1|
|Summer Quarter||April 1|