Thanks to the support of CWU University Advancement, the Writing Center is glad to again offer classroom orientations and outreach workshops.
Outreach to Classes:
Consultants are available for small- and large-group writing workshops, such as Facilitated Peer Review. For more information and scheduling, please email the Director, Prairie Brown
Writing Consultants are available to come to your classrooms to describe the Learning Commons' services. Orientations generally last 10 minutes and cover basic information, such as what happens during a consultation and the fact that our services are available for students of all levels and all disciplines.
These presentations may be expanded to include a model of a typical consultation or discussion of writing concerns particular to that course. For more information and scheduling, please email the Director, Prairie Brown
- All student writers, of all disciplines, are invited to meet with tutors at the University Writing Center, part of the Learning Commons.
- The format of a session is two writers talking about writing. They can brainstorm ideas and outlines, work on research skills and citations, as well as discuss ways to revise drafts in ways that reflect sentence-level issues, the purpose, organization, and audience of the paper.
- Each session lasts up to 50 minutes.
- It is very helpful if the student brings the assignment sheet, syllabus, and related materials.
- The Ellensburg Writing Center is located in the ARC in the Brooks Library-Rm 190.
- Students may drop-in for help on a first come, first serve basis, or may make an appointment.
- Students may drop by and hope there is an opening, or they may call 963-1270 to make an appointment.
Referring a Student:
Students are encouraged to come to the University Writing Center based on their own interest. However, if you would like to encourage a student to make an appointment, you could print this Word Document: Referral Form.
Resources for Staff
Writing Center Professional Links
- International Writing Centers Association
- Pacific Northwest Writing Centers Association
- Friends of Writing Center Journal blog
- PeerCentered blog
Writing Centers in the Pacific Northwest
- Portland State University Writing Center
- University of Washington English Department Writing Center
- Western Washington University Writing Center
- Oregon State University Center for Writing and Learning
- Seattle University Writing Center
- University of Oregon Center for Teaching Writing
- Western Oregon University Writing Center
- Marylhurst University Writing Center
- Seattle Pacific University Writing Center
Writing Centers Elsewhere