Study Abroad Scholarships
Summer 2013 and Academic Year 2013-2014 Programs
CWU Dionysia and James Pappas Study Abroad Scholarship
The Dionysia and James Pappas Study Abroad Scholarship was created to honor Dionysia and James Pappas, both active members in the Central Washington University and Ellensburg communities. The purpose of their scholarship is to enhance study abroad opportunities for CWU students.
- Students must be a matriculated junior or senior at CWU who's major must be one within the College of Arts & Humanities. For seniors, study abroad travel or exchange should be completed one or two quarters before graduation.
- Students must have a minimum 3.0 overall grade point average.
- Students must submit a 2 page statement for the planned study abroad program and how it will benefit their future studies and career.
- Students must provide two letters of recommendation.
- Students are required to share their study abroad experience when they return to campus as arranged through the study abroad office.
- Deadline: Two (2) separate deadlines for this award.
- May 1st: The deadline for any Summer or Fall Quarter study abroad program (post-Spring Quarter Faculty-Led Programs that occur in the Summer are also eligible).
- November 1st: November 1st: The deadline for any Winter or Spring Quarter programs (post-Winter Quarter Faculty-Led Programs that occur during Spring Break are also eligible).
- Website: http://www.cwu.edu/scholarships/dionysia-james-pappas-study-abroad-scholarship
CWU Foreign Language Department Scholarship
The CWU Foreign Language Department offers two merit-based scholarships for upper-class foreign language majors. Preference for the Tollman Scholarship ($1,000) will be given to applicants who will use the funds for study abroad. The Foreign Language Faculty Scholarship ($1,000) may also be sued toward study abroad.
- Award Amount: $1,000
- Currently enrolled in 3rd or 4th year language classes
- Have taken or in process of taking a minimum of two courses in the same language at the CWU Ellensburg campus.
- Have a minimum 3.25 GPA and a minimum 3.7 GPA in language courses.
- Will be enrolled at CWU for Fall 2013
- Deadline: February 28, 2013 for Academic Year 2013-2014.
- Website: http://www.cwu.edu/foreign-language/sites/cts.cwu.edu.foreign-language/files/documents/schol_app%252012.pdf
CWU History Department – Study Abroad Scholarship
The CWU History Department offers two awards of $500 to assist undergraduate or graduate students with flight-related expenses on short-term or long-term programs.
Award Amount: $500
Requirements: Undergraduate history majors or history department graduate students.
Deadline: March 1st, 2013 for Academic Year 2013-2014 Programs
Bridging Scholarship for Study in Japan
The Association of Teachers of Japanese Bridging Project offers scholarships to American undergraduate students participating on semester or year-long programs in Japan. Students majoring in any field of study are eligible to apply for these scholarships and previous Japanese language study is not required.
- Award Amount:
- $2,500 for Semester or Quarter Programs
- $4,000 for Academic Year Programs
- Requirements: Students must be U.S. citizens.
- Deadline: April 8, 2013
- Website: http://www.aatj.org/studyabroad/scholarships.html
BUTEX Scholarship For North American Students
The British Universities Transatlantic Exchange Association (BUTEX) Scholarship is open to all undergraduate students who study abroad in the United Kingdom for a semester or academic year at a BUTEX-affiliated university.
- Award Amount: £500 (est. US$800)
- Students must be U.S. or Canadian citizens and accepted to study abroad at a BUTEX-affiliated university for a semester or academic year.
- Applicants must submit a picture or poster promoting study abroad or complete a maximum 250-word essay.
- Deadline: May 31, 2013
- Website: http://www.butex.ac.uk/?q=node/12
Gilman Scholarship Program
The Gilman Scholarship Program aims to encourage students to choose non-traditional study abroad destinations, especially those outside of Western Europe, Australia and New Zealand. The program aims to support students who have been traditionally under-represented in study abroad, including but not limited to, students with high financial need, students in under-represented fields such as the sciences and engineering, students with diverse ethnic backgrounds, and students with disabilities.
- Award Amount:
- Up to $5,000
- Students can receive an additional $3,000 scholarship by studying a Critical Need Language (Arabic, Chinese, Turkic, Persian, Indic, Korean, Russian or Swahili)
- Students must be receiving a Federal Pell Grant and have at least one term of enrollment remaining upon returning from studying abroad.
- Recipients are required to carry out a Follow-on Project that promotes international education and the Gilman Scholarship Program.
- Summer programs must be a minimum of 4 weeks in one country.
- Deadline: March 5, 2013
- Website: http://www.iie.org/en/Programs/Gilman-Scholarship-Program
Glimpse Correspondents Program
The Glimpse Correspondents Program is for talented writers and photographers with a passion for storytelling and a knack for finding truly unique stories. The program is open to anyone who will be working, volunteering, or studying outside of their home country for at least 10 weeks.
- Award Amount: $600 stipend
- Open to both U.S. and non-U.S. citizens.
- Program must be at least 10 weeks long between August and December 2011
- Applicants must submit a writing sample of 1,200-1,500 words.
- Deadline: Late November for Spring 2014
- Website: http://glimpse.org/the-correspondents-program/
Morgan Stanley Scholarships for Study in Japan
Morgan Stanley Japan will offer two scholarships of $7,500 to students who have an interest in economics and finance, who will study in Japan for an entire academic year, and who submit a supplementary research paper.
- Award Amount: $7,500 for Academic Year Programs
- Students must be U.S. citizens and juniors or seniors while abroad.
- Applicants must submit a 6-10 page research paper related to Japanese economics policy.
- Deadline: April 8, 2013
- Website: http://www.aatj.org/studyabroad/morgan.html
Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants
Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants are designed to help support undergraduates as they seek knowledge and experience in their academic fields by studying abroad.
- Award Amount: $1,000
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.75 and completed at least 45 quarter credits and no more than 135 quarter credits (excluding all AP, Credit by Exam, etc.) by the deadline.
- Have at least two quarters remaining at CWU after completing the study abroad experience.
- Deadline: April 1, 2013
- Website: http://www.phikappaphi.org/Web/Awards/Study_Abroad.html
STA Travel, Inc. Scholarship (Foundation for Global Scholars)
The STA scholarships are designated for students from underrepresented areas in international education who are majoring in Photography, Film and Art, Travel and Tourism, International Business, International Studies, and Foreign Language.
- Award Amount: $2,500
- Students must be U.S. or Canadian citizens.
- Recipients will be required to blog weekly during their time abroad through STA Travel and the Foundation web sites. They will also be required to write a 1,000 word essay upon their return.
- March 31, 2013 for programs that begin from May 1 to August 31
- July 31, 2013 for programs that begin from September 1 to December 31
- Website: http://foundationforglobalscholars.org
Many External Program Providers offer scholarships to students studying abroad on programs that they sponsor. Additional information can be found on the website for the External Program Provider.
- Academic Programs International (API): http://www.apistudyabroad.com/students/scholarships/
- CWU Students receive an automatic $200 for semester programs and $150 for summer programs, additional scholarships available.
- American Institute for Foreign study (AIFS): http://www.aifsabroad.com/scholarships.asp#affiliate
- CWU Students receive an automatic $400 for semester programs and $200 for summer programs, also 2 $500 scholarships for new affiliates, that’s us!
- GlobaLinks: http://www.globalinksabroad.org/study_abroad/scholarships/
- CWU Students receive an automatic $250 for all programs, free travel passport wallet, additional scholarships available through Asia Pacific Education.
- KEI: http://www.keiabroad.org/students/financialaid.php
- $200 - $1,000 off program fees for CWU students depending on the program. All scholarships are need or merit based.
- USAC: http://usac.unr.edu/money-matters/financing/scholarships-and-discounts
- Scholarships available specifically for CWU students.
Additional Scholarship Opportunities
Students can find additional scholarship opportunities by searching the following Scholarship Directories: