"For me, this program was the guide to the US. Besides learning English, I learned the system, the culture, and many other things about this country. Everything in this program is very good."
"It has been many years since I left UESL. And I would say it has been the best time in my life. I have been working for a mechanical engineering company and this job requires me to be armed with a working knowledge of English. Thanks to the UESL Program and great teachers in Ellensburg, I think my English has made a big improvement. So, my point is that if anyone plans to study ESL or continue his academic career in the United States, the UESL at CWU is one of the right places he should go for." Chang, Korea
The CWU campus has a lot to offer you so you can enjoy your student life in the United States.
UESL students learn about American life and culture from their American roommates.
Many activities are arranged for people living in the dorms. UESL students can join these dorm activities.
Food on Campus
There are two major dining halls and several cafeterias on campus.
- Intramural sports are teams you can join to play sports like basketball, badminton, golf, softball, volleyball, tennis, and soccer with other students
- Outdoor Pursuits and Rentals is a place where you can rent outdoor sports equipment like skis, tents and river rafts. They also have outdoor trips you can join if you want to go hiking, skiing, or rafting with American students.
- We also have a recently built recreation center, for more information please click here.
- Ellensburg also has a swimming pool with a weight/aerobics room, a sauna, and two hot tubs.
- The International Students Association is a group for both International students and American students. They have many trips and activities throughout the year.
- Computer labs are available for students to use in many buildings on campus. Several residence halls also have computer labs in them.
- The CWU Library is a beautiful four-story building that houses many books, videos, magazines, newspapers, and journals to help you with your studies.
There is an excellent theater department which presents six live performances each year. The music department has many jazz and classical concerts given by student, faculty, and guest performers.
Sports events occur in Fall, Winter, and Spring. Football games are during Fall quarter, Basketball games are in the Winter, and Baseball, Track, and Soccer games can be seen in the spring. Students can attend games free with their student i.d. card.
There are many opportunities to see more of Washington State. You can go on a UESL trip or an International Students' Association trip. Or you can travel yourself to various places. Yakima is only 45 minutes south of Ellensburg. About 1 hour away is "The Gorge," where famous musicians play concerts all summer long. To find really big city life and entertainment you only need to travel to the west for two hours to arrive in Seattle or three hours to the east to arrive in Spokane.